AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
Legal News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Legal
Inside AP.net

Hostage Calm Fan Assaulted in Carolina Bar for "I...

Posted by: Thomas Nassiff (06/27/13)
Update: The band has responded to this news. Read their statement in the replies.

A Hostage Calm fan named Alex was assaulted at a bar in North Carolina yesterday by another patron. The conflict centered around Alex's "I Support Same-Sex Marriage" T-shirt that has been the subject of other drama as well. We have a statement from Alex, which you can read an excerpt from below and fully in the replies, and we've also reached out to the band for a statement. We'll update this post when we hear something back.
I spoke up, because who you love has nothing to do with your religion or your political views. The guy was not happy. I went to smoke another cigarette and told the guy to leave me alone. I came back in after the cigarette and he kept talking shit to me, when I told him to stop being an asshole and stop talking, he choked me out of my chair to the ground.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 346
10:06 AM on 06/27/13
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
Hostage Calm Reaction We were disappointed to hear this morning that a fan wearing the “I Support Same-Sex Marriage” shirt was violently assaulted in North Carolina yesterday. I am warmed by his conviction to express his support for the cause, and to not be silenced by the hostile attitudes of those other people at the bar, even in the face of violence. We’d like to thank him for sharing his story, and we’re reaching out to learn more and offer him anything we can do to help.

This incident, along with a number of others that have surrounded this shirt, serves a reminder that while much has been accomplished in this nationwide movement, American society remains deeply hostile towards marriage equality, and more importantly, towards the idea of equal respect and dignity for all LGBTQ individuals. Intolerance too often takes the form of violence, and I do hope this event sparks a larger discussion about what it might be like to face the threat of violence on a daily basis as a gay or transgender person. In the end, this incident only reinforces our conviction that punk rock can challenge the larger issues of oppression not just within its own community, but in the brutal world around us.

- Chris Martin

Full Original Statement from AlexI had a sub at a local place, went next door to a place called Izzy's Sports Bar for a beer. Got my beer, went to smoke a cigarette, and that's when everyone saw the back of the shirt. When I came back inside to the bar, the bartender (the only nice person in the whole establishment) let me know that people were upset about my shirt. I guess she thought she was warning me. I still wanted to drink my beer, and I was not going to leave over the T-shirt I was wearing.

The guy sitting behind me at the bar with the owner of the place mentioned the shirt to me. I turned around and asked him if he had a problem with it, all the while people are talking shit in the background about how you don't bring religion and politics into a bar. I spoke up, because who you love has nothing to do with your religion or your political views. The guy was not happy. I went to smoke another cigarette and told the guy to leave me alone. I came back in after the cigarette and he kept talking shit to me, when I told him to stop being an asshole and stop talking, he choked me out of my chair to the ground.

I got kicked out. The guy who choked me did not.

I called the cops on him, and the owner let him flee out the back door.
10:11 AM on 06/27/13
jordalsh
twitter.com/Jordalsh
User Info.
Can't believe there are still people like this in this day and age.
10:13 AM on 06/27/13
Cody Nelson
Your mouth to God's south.
User Info.
Everyone who played a part in letting this happen is a disgusting excuse for a human.
10:13 AM on 06/27/13
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
God damn, that's sickening.
10:14 AM on 06/27/13
subplotofcrows
A Small Spark Vs. A Great Forest
User Info.
This is the fucking worst.
10:14 AM on 06/27/13
kaylasananjou
Count Your Lucky Stars Records / Kayla
User Info.
This makes me so fucking angry. I thought it was 2013, not 1955.

edit: I would also like to remind everyone that with the recent DOMA and Prop 8 news, it is incredibly likely that violence towards queer people will increase, so if you see something, please do something, speak up, or alert the proper authorities. These are the times we need our allies the most.
10:15 AM on 06/27/13
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
User Info.
While it certainly doesn't justify the response... calling a guy an asshole if he is talking shit to you in a bar is asking for trouble. Be smart and don't go lighting fires under bags of farts
10:15 AM on 06/27/13
ACA
Next Show: Braid/GreatBigPileLeaves
User Info.
The True Blood writers need to steal that shirt design (cutting Hostage Calm a fat check.. any amount would probably be more than they see in a year and they could use the money to do even more for equal rights) and apply it to the current plot. They already do a good job with the "god hates fangers"-type protests, this would really kick it up a notch.
10:16 AM on 06/27/13
yasseahhhs
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I didn't start out calling him an asshole. He pissed me off enough to be called an asshole, I just wanted him to stop talking to me.
10:17 AM on 06/27/13
yasseahhhs
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
And since when does calling someone an asshole justify being choked out to the floor? Never.
10:18 AM on 06/27/13
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
Disgusting.
10:18 AM on 06/27/13
cubsml34
A Class 3 KILLSTORM
User Info.
Awful
10:19 AM on 06/27/13
J.Dick
User Info.
Smoking leads to trouble.
10:20 AM on 06/27/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
The True Blood writers need to steal that shirt design (cutting Hostage Calm a fat check.. any amount would probably be more than they see in a year and they could use the money to do even more for equal rights) and apply it to the current plot. They already do a good job with the "god hates fangers"-type protests, this would really kick it up a notch.
... what ...
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums