AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

East Highland- In My Darkest Hours I Will Release... Album Cover

East Highland- In My Darkest Hours I Will Release...

Reviewed by
East Highland- In My Darkest Hours I Will Release My Light
Record Label: Self-Released
Release Date: January 29, 2013

How can I describe East Highland to you? This is a question I have been mulling over since I first listened to the EP, In My Darkest Hours I Will Release My Light, and the only conclusion I've come to is a simple one. In fact, it's a conclusion that every review can be boiled down to- if you care to listen, go listen.

East Highland creates such a smorgasbord of music that I can only try giving you some specifics, and telling you that the results are just as mixed. The upside to this is that everyone reading should have no trouble finding something they appreciate in these four songs. I can tell you that the music can often be reminiscent of the epic post-rock jams created by groups like Explosions in the Sky and Godspeed You! Black Emperor...I can also tell you that the length of these songs often hinder themselves, as this four song EP borders 25 minutes.

I can tell you that the musicianship can be damn-near perfect at times, and seem programmed at others (as displayed throughout opener, "Ghost"). I can tell you that the vocals of the title track sound like Tom Delonge, and that's never a good thing...I can also tell you that the screaming, when it's not just a guttural noise before a musical breakdown, shows an incredible amount of force and diction you find behind bands like Defeater and Stick To Your Guns. I can tell you that "Decathect" is an absolute triumph, and that the song alone shows more promise than many bands new to the scene today. Finally, I can tell you that while the spacey atmosphere of each song may cause the EP to slightly blur together at times, closing track "63" makes me curious as to how East Highland will progress over time. What direction will they take? Will their sound stay unique due to the sheer amount of comparisons that can be drawn from it? What elements will be left in the dust, and where will they expand their sound? Will they continue to churn out six-minute plus songs? Will they someday create a classic album?

I guess more than anything, what I'm trying to tell you is that you should listen to East Highland. As mixed as IMDHIWRML may be, everyone should take in something about this band that proves great promise in the future. They are set on a track that could lead to great appreciation and success, and sooner rather than later...at the very least, East Highland has my attention.

Recommended If You LikeAn Angles & Airwaves/Stick To Your Guns/Explosions in the Sky supergroup. Literally, the best way I can describe it.

easthighland.bandcamp.com/
This review is a user submitted review from Vance Mook. You can see all of Vance Mook's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
07:46 PM on 07/11/13
CrewysLane
User Info.
New EP in September. New song coming out in the next few weeks.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos