Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 18 posts
08:33 AM on 07/08/13
spezialk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Posting this review a month before the rest of us get to hear it is just cruel. Nice review though, looking forward to this quite a lot.
I came in here to say the same thing. The next 4 weeks are going to DRAGGGGG now :( LOL. Hopefully Sins is released today.
08:34 AM on 07/08/13
spezialk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Also, any hints at b-sides or deluxe versions of the album? I know War Paint came with two acoustic versions of album songs and was wondering if anyone has heard anything yet. 10 songs seems to be what TDS aims for anymore.. and I WANT MOAR!

EDIT - I'm an idiot and see that the iTunes version has a few extra tracks. Didn't see/hear anything when I made my vinyl order. Ignore this post.
08:49 AM on 07/08/13
spezialk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I think it's their worst album. This band has always had a problem with monotony stretching throughout records, too many songs sounding the same, but on the past two records it hasn't been as prevalent as it is here. I listened to the album fully through about 5 times and I doubt I'll listen to it entirely through again for a long while. It's just boring to me, which was a bummer because it was highly anticipated and "Catholic Girls" is great.
It's funny you say it's their worst record.. because right now, TDS' worst attempts would still be better than 80% of the garbage the genre is currently flooding us with. Bring on the shitty TDS tunes, then! :)
09:00 AM on 07/08/13
spezialk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I disagree. I think there have been plenty of good records this year. I think Have Mercy wrote the record that The Dangerous Summer has always wanted to write.
I agree there has been some great records thus far (as a whole, 2013 has been stellar), but that makes of a small percentage of what this genre is/has become.
09:00 AM on 07/08/13
spezialk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
What genre? Their genre is dead. The Graduate, Acceptance, Valencia, Hit The Lights. Those kinds of bands don't exist anymore.
But HTL is touring Australia soon. They're alive and well. Don't remind me about Acceptance and The Graduate </3
10:15 AM on 07/08/13
spezialk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
They're not alive and well. I like the band and the people in the band, but they've done two US tours in 15 months. Their record did not go over well in the longterm, even though it did short term. And I imagine the band is currently going to tour internationally and call it a day.
I smell some information you're withholding! :O I preferred Invicta in the longterm vs the short. It didn't hit me until after quite a few listens. Such a solid record. Think Nick is doing his side project full term soon?
12:34 PM on 07/08/13
spezialk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
What bands do you consider this genre?

Pop-rock? There's some really good stuff out there right now, so I'd disagree.
Bands = any pop/rock/punk/alternative band covered on this site. Fair enough?

I agree there is some good stuff out there right now, however the good does not outweigh the mediocre and putrid. TDS' "worst" efforts are still better than most average genre/scene music currently; the only point I'm trying to make.
12:45 PM on 07/08/13
spezialk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
If that's the comparison, then you're dead wrong. Plenty of great bands covered on this site that are making fantastic op/rock/punk/alternative albums. Hell, "Golden Record" will be toward the end of my top 20 ... meaning there's at least 20 more bands I think released a better album.

TDS' worst songs are definitely as average as the run of the mill genre music. Not sure why you're judging them against the worst in the genre though.
I'm making the argument because Thomas' comment basically stated it's their "worst record" and quite average. Was that missed?
12:46 PM on 07/08/13
spezialk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
the argument "its better than a lot of other stuff" is elementary
Why? Because it's quite true.
07:53 AM on 07/29/13
spezialk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
It'll probably be out by next week. Pre-orders ship out the 26th.
Preorders definitelly haven't shipped yet. Regardless, a leak should occur within the next 3 days or so.. they may even stream the album much as they did with WP again. Still can't wait to blast the vinyl version, however.
09:35 AM on 07/29/13
spezialk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Hope it sounds better than recent hopeless pressings. Even WP could of been pressed better and TGG is one of the worst pressed records I own. Awesome album but no quality control while it got pressed.
RFTS sounded great, but I agree.. WP sounded a bit too flat for my liking. We'll be finding out in a few days exactly how GR sounds. Regardless, these TDS vinyls are something that I have to have in my collection no matter how good/bad the quality is.
03:21 PM on 07/29/13
spezialk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Lame. I was just going by what their site said. Definitely hope they stream it soon.
I was too, but I've used Merch Direct tons before and since it's only a state or so away, I usually get my stuff in the first wave within two days. I've got nothing. I'm assuming most of us will start getting vinyls/preorders by Friday/Saturday.
05:50 PM on 07/29/13
spezialk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
RFTS was decent, I wouldn't say it was great. War Paint sounds bad. One of the few records I prefer to listen to digitally compared to vinyl. Both colors came out sounding totally meh. I'd love to do a remaster and rerelease it sometime, maybe with some bonus tracks. A boy can dream.
While I prefer digital, there's just something about vinyl. Maybe it was the nostalgia factor that made it sound better than WP, but dear Lord WP was horrendously pressed. I'd for sure throw more money your way if pressings are as good as The Graduate ones were!
05:54 PM on 07/29/13
spezialk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Haha, thanks. I'll look into it in a couple years.
Compared to The Graduate pressings, how's that Lovedrug "Wild Blood" sound? Always wanted that on vinyl, just never bit the bullet..
08:03 PM on 07/29/13
spezialk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I'd say it sounds better. They recorded that album in a very organic kind of way that translated really well to vinyl. Might be the best sounding record I've made. It's the kind of album that was made to be listened to on wax.
Sold. Throwing some bones your way tomorrow. That record, even digitally, is one of the best mixed pieces of audio I've heard in awhile.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos