Ups and Downsizing
User Info.
See his twitter rant today?
Yeah

12:38 PM on 07/09/13
Searos
Registered Member
User Info.
He did seem a bit salty but can't say I don't agree with the dude. Also in regards to his voice there is a video of "sins" acoustic and it sounds great. I prefered WP to RFTS especially in the vocals so am excited to hear more of that.
12:40 PM on 07/09/13
Jake Jenkins
jakej654.bandcamp.com
User Info.
the idea that music written by someone other than the performer is inferior is an archaic, immature belief.
12:47 PM on 07/09/13
Searos
Registered Member
User Info.
the idea that music written by someone other than the performer is inferior is an archaic, immature belief.
I don't find that sorta music necessarily worse but its hard for me to not enjoy how personal and the hard work of a group that wrote the lyrics themselves. Thats just my opinion but all my favorite albums were written by the band and even more so the songs told narratives and/or were very personal. I mean nothing wrong with having someone write your songs but its hard to get emotional songs that way.
12:50 PM on 07/09/13
Jake Jenkins
jakej654.bandcamp.com
User Info.
I don't find that sorta music necessarily worse but its hard for me to not enjoy how personal and the hard work of a group that wrote the lyrics themselves. Thats just my opinion but all my favorite albums were written by the band and even more so the songs told narratives and/or were very personal. I mean nothing wrong with having someone write your songs but its hard to get emotional songs that way.
no its not. emotion hinges on the performance just as much as the words. you're not gonna sit here and tell me johnny cash's cover of "hurt" isn't emotional.
12:51 PM on 07/09/13
Jason Tate
User Info.

Counter example.
01:09 PM on 07/09/13
Searos
Registered Member
User Info.
I never said it was impossible for the songs to lack emotion but rather more personal written songs are usually more powerful. I am not saying its always the case. Heck I think that means more today than in the past. I am not talking about covers at all as artists can be inspired by specific songs or give their own twist to them.

I know in the past it was commonly done but in regards to another one of his arguments it was a time before a lot of effects were really in play. I am also not saying this is a golden rule in general. I just find songs written by artists usually more emotional and personal. You can send as many counter examples as yall want but it does not change the validity of my opinion because its just an opinion. If yall find me grossly out of line saying that than I am sorry but its just my perspective based on music I usually listen to and even then not 100% absolute.

Not everything has to be an argument. This time around it was just my opinion based the perspective I get from listening to music I enjoy. Feel free to have a different opinion.
01:11 PM on 07/09/13
Jake Jenkins
jakej654.bandcamp.com
User Info.

Not everything has to be an argument. This time around it was just my opinion based the perspective I get from listening to music I enjoy. Feel free to have a different opinion.

i have a different opinion and i expressed it. dont get so upset about it.
01:13 PM on 07/09/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
I never said it was impossible for the songs to lack emotion but rather more personal written songs are usually more powerful. I am not saying its always the case. Heck I think that means more today than in the past. I am not talking about covers at all as artists can be inspired by specific songs or give their own twist to them.

I know in the past it was commonly done but in regards to another one of his arguments it was a time before a lot of effects were really in play. I am also not saying this is a golden rule in general. I just find songs written by artists usually more emotional and personal. You can send as many counter examples as yall want but it does not change my opinion. If yall find me grossly out of line saying that than I am sorry but its just my perspective based on music I usually listen to and even then not 100% absolute.

Why wouldn't being shown hundreds, if not thousands, of great (emotional) songs written by someone other than the performer not change your opinion that "its hard to get emotional songs that way"?
01:13 PM on 07/09/13
Searos
Registered Member
User Info.
no its not. emotion hinges on the performance just as much as the words. you're not gonna sit here and tell me johnny cash's cover of "hurt" isn't emotional.
Refer to my last post but at the same time no. Thats not what I said at all. Honestly what I was talking about had very little to do with covers at all. You're not gonna change anyone's opinion here but I respect and see where your coming from and at the same time feel you did not 100% understand what I meant. Nothing is absolute. This is just generally how I feel about things and my favorite bands, songs, and albums are predominantly artist written with the occasional co-artist who is a close friend to the band.
01:19 PM on 07/09/13
Searos
Registered Member
User Info.
Why wouldn't being shown hundreds, if not thousands, of great (emotional) songs written by someone other than the performer not change your opinion that "its hard to get emotional songs that way"?
I am not saying anything is absolute. I mean you can send me examples all you want but its an opinion formulated from one's perspective. I never said its not possible at all but rather I feel a hear a deeper connection PREDOMINANTLY when the artist is also the performer. Surprised this is even an argument.

Not upset about this at all but just find this weird. Arguing over what is emotional and what is not is just weird. Performances can be emotional. I get that. Thats great. I am talking in general. if you disagree thats up to yall but if you don't see where I am coming at than thats really not my problem. I actually get your points and respect it. I also still find it following into "nothing is absolute' rule I was talking about. Opinions are opinions.

case and point: Yall are right. I am right. We also have different general overview perspectives and find nothing to be absolute because anything can be great.
01:19 PM on 07/09/13
Jake Jenkins
jakej654.bandcamp.com
User Info.
Refer to my last post but at the same time no. Thats not what I said at all. Honestly what I was talking about had very little to do with covers at all. You're not gonna change anyone's opinion here but I respect and see where your coming from and at the same time feel you did not 100% understand what I meant. Nothing is absolute. This is just generally how I feel about things and my favorite bands, songs, and albums are predominantly artist written with the occasional co-artist who is a close friend to the band.
the attitude "you're not going to change my opinion" hinders discussion, but whatever, if you dont want to have a discussion about this thats not my problem.
01:22 PM on 07/09/13
Searos
Registered Member
User Info.
the attitude "you're not going to change my opinion" hinders discussion, but whatever, if you dont want to have a discussion about this thats not my problem.
I don't think it hinders discussion. I find your opinions very valid and do agree with yall. I just have a different overview perspective in regards to music as a whole. I prefer music written by the artist more but not saying it will always be better. I have said it quite a few times here in more times than need be.

If you want to continue a discussion you can PM me but this thread is about 'The Dangerous Summer' - Golden Record and I feel it has been derailed enough as it is with nothing much more to say on this issue when debating different opinion based perspectives. Hope that clears things up!
01:25 PM on 07/09/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
I am not saying anything is absolute.
OK? But what you're saying is something that can be demonstrated false. You said it's hard to get emotional songs "that way" ... the fact is is that it's hard to get emotional songs, period -- but to say it's more or less hard one way or the other is spacious.

Quote:
I mean you can send me examples all you want but its an opinion formulated from one's perspective.
And shouldn't one's perspective be open to change when proved incorrect?

Quote:
I never said its not possible at all but rather I feel a hear a deeper connection PREDOMINANTLY when the artist is also the performer. Surprised this is even an argument.
And I would argue that you should expose yourself to music outside of the past 15 or whatever years, and especially that of other genres where the composer is usually not the performer.

Quote:
Not upset about this at all but just find this weird. Arguing over what is emotional and what is not is just weird. Performances can be emotional. I get that. Thats great. I am talking in general. if you disagree thats up to yall but if you don't see where I am coming at than thats really not my problem. I actually get your points and respect it. I also still find it following into "nothing is absolute' rule I was talking about. Opinions are opinions.

case and point: Yall are right. I am right. We also have different general overview perspectives and find nothing to be absolute because anything can be great.
Ok, but your (and AJ's whole "fake") premise remains categorically incorrect. Music written by someone other than the performer is not devoid of emotion or any more or less capable of being a great song (see: classical music). To claim otherwise is ignorant of musical history, regardless of one's "perspective."

If Sally Q is emotionally moved by a song AJ and/or you declare "fake" -- is it any less of an emotional experience?
01:33 PM on 07/09/13
Searos
Registered Member
User Info.
OK? But what you're saying is something that can be demonstrated false. You said it's hard to get emotional songs "that way" ... the fact is is that it's hard to get emotional songs, period -- but to say it's more or less hard one way or the other is spacious.

And shouldn't one's perspective be open to change when proved incorrect?

And I would argue that you should expose yourself to music outside of the past 15 or whatever years, and especially that of other genres where the composer is usually not the performer.

Ok, but your (and AJ's whole "fake") premise remains categorically incorrect. Music written by someone other than the performer is not devoid of emotion or any more or less capable of being a great song (see: classical music). To claim otherwise is ignorant of musical history, regardless of one's "perspective."

If Sally Q is emotionally moved by a song AJ and/or you declare "fake" -- is it any less of an emotional experience?
Honestly why do you care so much about trying to prove my opinion wrong. I never said yalls was wrong. I even said you were right cause its your opinion. I listen to music I like in all sorts of genres as it comes to me. I am allowed to have personal taste though. If you wanna argue about it then I mean you can send me things in my inbox but I don't really care if you think you proved my opinion false. Its preposterous the very idea. Not everyone has the same taste in music or general overview opinions as you. That should not really be a issue.

I am willing to continue discussing it but no need to do it here. I was only talking about music I enjoy. You could listen to more music on the site and there are still people out there who have listen to more than you or different stuff. It really does not matter. If you disagree with my opinion than it is rightfully valid and I agree with your points as long as they are rational which they are. I wasn't staying anyone was wrong if they felt otherwise and can make opinions based on personal music tastes, libraries, and perspectives.

If your dead set on changing my mind by all means flood my inbox and I will listen to music that I may like and some I may not and will thank you for sharing.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos