Username
Password

Comments: Page 8
Displaying posts 105 - 120 of 259
01:43 PM on 07/08/13
Tyler Vagyler
Tight Dick Playa
User Info.
A review a month before the album comes out makes the wait even worse.
01:46 PM on 07/08/13
Jake Jenkins
jakej654.bandcamp.com
User Info.
Member Rating: 74%

what is wrong with some of you people
01:58 PM on 07/08/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
I'm pretty sure the vocal ranges are almost identical.
Don't know how you could listen to both albums and say that ... AJ's voice is clearly on the outs on this album, and he's struggling to even hold notes. I think it's part of the reason they had to write an album that sounds so monotone and flat -- cause he can't take his voice into anything else for a chorus that stands out. He ends up speak/singing through too much of it.

Quote:
Soupy sings a high B flat during the climax to "Screen Door," AJ has high B's all over "Drowning." Neither sings notes that are particularly low.
I don't think picking out two places where they sing the same note is indicative of vocal range. But I simply can't agree that both singers have the same range after listening to the albums back to back. AJ's voice sounds shot. I'm legit worried if he doesn't start taking care of it that the band won't even be able to perform their old material live in the same manner as it was recorded.

Quote:
The changes are extremely minute. Some melodies get one or two notes changed, others just get slowed down, and others are quoted directly.
But the changes are why they fit together ...

Quote:
It's actually quite artful how they do it, but the fact that the pieces fit together so well speaks to the inherent similarity that the songs shared in the first place.
I don't think so. I think the fact that they change things to make them fit is why they fit together so well. If you cut off the corner of a puzzle piece, and then it goes into the puzzle, you can't claim that it fits because all the pieces were the same.

I disagree that there is the same "all the songs sound similar" theme running through "TGG" as "GR" ... on TGG between tracks 1,2,4,5,7,10,11 you can find far more diverse material than you will find on any stretch of this album. Changes in pacing, melody, chorus distinction, audible guitar riff ... and there's distinct highs and lows in virtually every song.

"Golden Record" for the most part stays flat. We see comments from people not even knowing they're listening to the chorus. With a few exceptions, that is indicative of most of the album.

Quote:
I'm not trying to tear that record down: it's currently in my top ten, and I could easily see myself liking it more than Golden Record come the end of the year. I just feel like you are being particularly hard on this band for doing something that so many other outfits in the pop-punk or pop-rock scenes do with every album.
That's because it comes down to execution ... one band did it very well and showcase it over a collection of songs ... one band did it just alright. Lots of bands write similar sounding songs for an album, but the great ones don't end up getting you lost in the middle with everything bleeding together. Be that a failure in sequencing, production, or lack of diversity -- we can argue where all day -- but it is definitely a problem on this album that stands out far more than on other "top genre" albums.

Never said that it's an issue that doesn't exist in other albums as well ... but overcoming it (see: War Paint) was what the band was capable of doing before. I don't think they did here. I believe they need a different producer to bring something else out of them ... cause a good portion of this just sounds phoned in ...

Quote:
There's only so much you can do with four chords and a verse-chorus-bridge pop song structure, and I have always thought this band handled those constraints better than many from their scene.
And I would agree they did ... until this album. Here, they suffer from a monotony hereto unseen in their catalog.

Quote:
Haha, I actually think it's the weak point, but that's a different argument entirely. I don't think "Catholic Girls" and "Anchor" sound even remotely alike. And the climax is "Anchor," definitely. That song couldn't be anywhere but at the end of a record.
Sure it could, it's not even a good closer ... and I'd also argue that a climax of an album shouldn't be in the last song (and that it's not here, given that I don't think there's much differentiation within the album itself) ... that musically, we want to hear a climax toward the middle of an album, and then resolve at the end. The best albums don't climax at the very end, they use the end of the album to wrap up all of the material. To bring you down from the ride. To naturally resolve.
02:11 PM on 07/08/13
anamericangod
User Info.

Sure it could, it's not even a good closer ... and I'd also argue that a climax of an album shouldn't be in the last song (and that it's not here, given that I don't think there's much differentiation within the album itself) ... that musically, we want to hear a climax toward the middle of an album, and then resolve at the end. The best albums don't climax at the very end, they use the end of the album to wrap up all of the material. To bring you down from the ride. To naturally resolve.

Transatlanticism is the album that does this perfectly, in my opinion.
02:13 PM on 07/08/13
Jake Jenkins
jakej654.bandcamp.com
User Info.
for all the shit handcuffs gets, i think TDAG does it perfectly too.
02:13 PM on 07/08/13
SpyKi
This Charming Man
User Info.
Haha, I'm listening to that album right now and I literally thought how perfect it was at that as I read that comment.
02:16 PM on 07/08/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
What a great "must listen to this full album experience" album.
02:16 PM on 07/08/13
anamericangod
User Info.
Archers is out of place on that album.
02:18 PM on 07/08/13
anamericangod
User Info.
What a great "must listen to this full album experience" album.

It's flawless. If you put it on repeat it's really amazing since the final track and intro track were made to blend into each other with that odd background noise.
02:20 PM on 07/08/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
I think "Vheissu" does it so perfectly as well.

Otherwise you'd have something like "Hold Fast Hope" at the end of the album. Hah.
02:23 PM on 07/08/13
jordalsh
jordalsh.wordpress.com
User Info.
It's flawless. If you put it on repeat it's really amazing since the final track and intro track were made to blend into each other with that odd background noise.
oh wow I never noticed this.
02:23 PM on 07/08/13
RonStoppable
yeezy season approachin
User Info.
I think every Kanye album does that really well.
02:24 PM on 07/08/13
Jake Jenkins
jakej654.bandcamp.com
User Info.
I think every Kanye album does that really well.
especially Yeezus.
02:25 PM on 07/08/13
anamericangod
User Info.
oh wow I never noticed this.
Every time I mention it it always blows somebody's mind, haha. I didn't notice it at first either, I guess because the rip that I had had too much empty space at the end of the last song, but once I got it right it was very cool.
02:26 PM on 07/08/13
RonStoppable
yeezy season approachin
User Info.
#factsonly

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT