AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 9 posts
03:19 PM on 07/11/13
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
Need to spend more time with this but I pretty much agree.

I've never been a huge Jay-Z fan aside from the hits...what's the best album to start with? The Black Album?
03:36 PM on 07/11/13
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
reasonable doubt, the blueprint, and the black album are the three you MUST listen to. id go in the order i listed them. all three are three of my favorite hip-hop albums of all time and the black album was one of the first in the genre i heard.
Sounds good
07:41 AM on 07/12/13
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
Good review, and I think the introductory parts about Yeezus are completely justified. One artist is pushing the envelope and innovating while the other is comfortable stagnating in the same old territory. One thing I would add to the comparison, though, has to do with length. Kanye has learned to make a concise and consistent album, and I think part of the reason Yeezus succeeds is that it's this lean, relentless burst of abrasive aggression. Even MBDTF, which is nothing if not epic and sprawling, feels a lot more condensed than Kanye's older album because he learned to ditch the skits and the interludes (mostly) and the filler and make something that you actually want to experience in one sitting.

This album, on the other hand, just keeps fucking going. It's one thing that the songs aren't that good to begin with. I could have done with an album of disposable Jay-Z lyrics if every song had a great beat and a killer guest spot (which several of them do), but the in between tracks where it's just him are where this album really falters. I looked down somewhere around "Heaven" thinking, "shit, this thing has gotta be almost over," but there were still seven more songs.
Yep. Everything you said.
02:51 PM on 07/12/13
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
Production gets a 5? Come on...
We all rate every category the same, giving the review an average. Every category is a 5, so that the entire average is a 50% aka 5/10. That's how we all rate everything now.
02:59 PM on 07/12/13
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
That seems silly to have an aggregated system then, doesnt it?
The rating system on the site is very old. Hence why we are switching to this x/10 on the new site. Most all of us are just switching over early. We've been doing this for well over 6 months now - probably almost a year. It's nothing new.
03:02 PM on 07/12/13
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
Well that reason, along with some of your reviewers, is why I go elsewhere for music reviews these days.
That literally makes no sense. An averaged rating system is why you go elsewhere? Even though everywhere else uses a similar system of either letter grades or _/5 or _/10, which is what we now do...okay then.
03:12 PM on 07/12/13
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
No, it's the inability to update a system that you've abandoned, just leaving it on your site and saying "meh, they'll figure it out". Awfully defensive.
Oh, I meant to quote you. ^^^^^
Jason has been working on the new website for some time and is currently re-writing the entire thing from scratch. It's not something that can just be fixed overnight. These things take time. Not to mention it's not that big of a deal at all - we still score them. The score of any review shouldn't be that important anyway. People consider it way too important instead of just reading the review. Considering every reviewer ever of any site will all score everything a little different - it's not like it's a computer system - they aren't the same across the board for everyone obviously. So why should they matter that much? It shouldn't. We all do our best score-wise, but just read the review - that's what we all spend the time on and what should matter.
03:42 PM on 07/12/13
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
Oh yeah, that's why we get 500 word reviews for certain records and then novels for others.
So now everyone is supposed to write the same length reviews? What?...
03:52 PM on 07/12/13
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
If you dont have a cap then you leave no room for editing. Is it so hard to not put down every thought or condense your thoughts? That's what good writers do.
Are you music writers, journalists? Or are you just gushing fanboys? Cause you cant be both.
Apparently we are all bad writers. End of conversation. Please.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos