kylecoon
I'm down with brown town
User Info.
Man, I don't know. I dig this album.
09:16 PM on 07/17/13
Habbs
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Dude the fact that you gave arguably one of the best hip hop records of the year a 5/10 is just disrespectful. Just because he raps about things you can't associate with doesn't mean you have to hate on it. Ya, I don't have a Picasso or any clothes from Tom Ford, but fuck, I would love to! Peronally it gives me motivation to work harder in life to eventually achieve those grandiose things he raps about.
one of the best rap albums of the year. No way..5/10 is about right..
07:46 AM on 07/25/13
smelltheglove
youarealldumbemokids
User Info.
Need to spend more time with this but I pretty much agree.

I've never been a huge Jay-Z fan aside from the hits...what's the best album to start with? The Black Album?

No. Start with the Blue Print. That's his defining album, his finest work. his 6th of 12 albums; the heart of his career, he was 31 when he made it. before beyonce and the mega-fame, but after breaking out with his various hits from his first 5 albums ("can I get a", "hard knock life", "big pimpin", etc.)

"reasonable doubt" is of course a classic as well, his raw debut, but he hit his stride on the Blue Print (there's a reason he's made two sequels to it). But the Blueprint is 13 tracks of flawlessness, no filler whatsoever. Probably my favorite hip hop/rap album ever. A very young Kanye West earned his stripes on that album, he did a lot of the beats/production for it, three years before dropping his own debut.

Black Album is great but definitely not where you should start.
06:07 PM on 07/28/13
parawhore10
take apart your head.
User Info.
I respectfully disagree with your views for the most part on this album. However, I do think this review was well written. Absolutely love the song Jay-Z Blue!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos