Username
Password

Album Review - Page 3
Displaying posts 30 - 45 of 51.
01:13 PM on 07/17/13
Jamos4184
www.facebook.com/attalusmusic
User Info.
I think the main problem with them releasing this album was bringing in co-writers. I'm fine with a poppy-Relient K, but this isn't JUST Relient K. This is Relient K + current radio pop songwriters.

By the way, now that Ethan Luck is gone, I vote they bring back Dave Douglas!
01:15 PM on 07/17/13
MrBenjaminQLee
I am adorable.
User Info.
My only problem with this is the vocal rating. This is probably Matt's best album vocally. Deserves at least a 9 in vocals.
01:18 PM on 07/17/13
grimis16
User Info.
Absolute garbage of an album. I loved Forget to not Slow Down. So while yeah, maybe this is better than garbage, but disappointments tend to hurt more than those that you expect to be shit.
01:53 PM on 07/17/13
SpyKi
This Charming Man
User Info.
Decent album but still a pretty big letdown for a band like RK, especially coming after their last few.
02:53 PM on 07/17/13
jasonisasleep
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
such a step backward from their last album...
04:36 PM on 07/17/13
jdr277
I got a lion in my pocket I'm lying
User Info.
I think this is pretty fair. It's grown on me enough, and I do like several songs on it. I don't think it'll be any fan's favorite album, but it's still enjoyable once you get past the "wow this is the polar opposite of FANSD."
My thoughts exactly! I haven't listened to Relient K much since high school but when FANSD came out I was blown away by how deep and amazing that record was. I was stoked to hear the follow up and then came CL. At first I hated it for not being as meaningful as FANSD but after a few listens I realized I really enjoy it for what it is, which is a collection of extremely fun pop songs. I feel the same about CL as I do about Paramores S/T and FOBs Save Rock & Roll, I've never been a huge fan of any of these bands but damn if I didn't enjoy singing along to all these new albums. Everyone needs to go back and listen to this with an open mind and just enjoy it for being fun even if it lacks depth. Also "Can't Complain" sounds like a Jason Mraz song!
06:29 PM on 07/17/13
Yellowcard2006
I'll buy you a raincoat
User Info.
I'm more shocked by how much I dislike this compared to Forget And Not Slow Down (their best album)

This is not growth. It's bad.
06:54 PM on 07/17/13
Richard Maxim
Life: April Fools
User Info.
I was incredibly let down by this album, I really dig PTL but every thing else is just awful. This is one of my favorite bands too. =-(
07:52 PM on 07/17/13
babyg299
Peggy sue
User Info.
My only problem with this is the vocal rating. This is probably Matt's best album vocally. Deserves at least a 9 in vocals.

I agree with you on this.

I went into this album thinking I was going to hate it, telling everyone I can not believe they would put out an album like this. When in reality I absolutely love about half the album. I can listen to PTL over and over again, Collapsible lung would be my next favorite.

I greatly disliked Lost Boy when I first heard it, but now I love it and can not stop singing it. It is just too damn catchy.

Relient K always have songs on their albums that are silly and poppy, that is kind of who they are, and they like to play around with different sounds.
09:29 PM on 07/17/13
Paris1nFlames
User Info.
Which two songs did blackbear work with them on?

Edit: found it.. PTL and lost boy.. I figured
10:32 PM on 07/17/13
poemtothedead
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I can't say that this was an unexpected direction for them. Even on Mmhmm, they went with the trend at the time which was screaming and broken up post-hardcore guitar chords. I really feel like Relient K transcends genres though. They're a band that has always flown with the times, keeping them from being dated as Pop-punk or any other random name you want to specify them as. As much as I want another Mmhmm, they're Relient k and I know they have to be that. Also, at first listen, the melody for the back half of the first verse on "Boomerang" sounded like a sped up Lil Wayne's Lollipop. Seriously, you could sing "Shawty wanna thug, bottles in the club" as it happens. Doesn't matter, I still love it.
12:24 AM on 07/18/13
The Meech
User Info.
still have to give this a good listen. I heard a few tracks on the pandora stream, enjoyed a few but others were cringeworthy. after warped tomorrow I'll get back to listening to some new music including this album. not expecting much
07:40 PM on 07/18/13
stephenHOPE
User Info.
i have tried several ways to make this sound eloquent but it keeps coming out the same. this album sucks.
05:41 AM on 07/20/13
katietheskatie
walking on a wire on the ground
User Info.
anything they put out after 'forget and not slow down' would have big shoes to fill, but i'm not really feeling this.
08:09 AM on 07/22/13
piaffeprncess98
check out www.avoidthescene.com
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I actually like this. Although it's not the direction I hoped they'd take after FANSD, to me, it still sounds like Relient K. Maybe it's because I'm so used to them doing covers that it sounds like a covers album and the lyrics don't bother me? Either way, if they want to experiment at this point in their career, I'm fine with that.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums