Username
Password

Comments: Page 4
Displaying posts 45 - 51 of 51
08:57 AM on 07/23/13
tylerschnizzle
Freelance Thinker
User Info.
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet - The main problem IS the writing collaborations Thiessen used on this record. With a band that usually produces deep, thoughtful, and smart lyrics, most of this album feels so watered down. It's one thing if Thiessen choses to co-write with Jim Adkins from JEW; it's another thing if he collaborates with some cheese-making, sugar-popping, money-mongering no-good pop writers. Lyrics are SUCH a big part of this band, and I think that's why many fans feel disillusioned with it.
09:03 AM on 07/23/13
tylerschnizzle
Freelance Thinker
User Info.
"While the album does veer closer towards Maroon 5 and Bruno Mars than say that of Jimmy Eat World or HelloGoodbye, Collapsible Lung is still a commendable effort from a band who seems more than content to keep churning out tunes. While it pales in comparison to both K is For Karaoke and Forget and Not Slow Down, it isn't a complete miss."

Two things: RK has never had that much in common with JEW or HG in my opinion. How do you figure that one?

Also, K for Karaoke is one of the weakest albums they've ever released. Instead of rehashing covers in an inventive way, they settled on most tracks by simply copying them. That makes for uninspired covers. Thiessen might as well have taken the original tracks, removed the vocals, and put his voice in. It's really a pretty forgettable cover album.
05:55 PM on 07/26/13
Loving Sasha
User Info.
different style but i can probably dig it
12:49 PM on 08/01/13
deadjean
Tie Me Up! Untie Me!
User Info.
Agreed. That argument's been coming up way too much in regards to this album.
The fact of the matter is, I like pop punk music, even pop rock music. I don't like most run of the mill pop music. So when a good pop punk band stops writing pop punk music and starts writing average pop music, it does become worse. Relient k wrote good songs with intelligent and introspective lyrics. this new album is bland pop music with bland musicianship and bland lyrics. everything about it screams WORSE to me.
12:49 PM on 08/01/13
deadjean
Tie Me Up! Untie Me!
User Info.
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet - The main problem IS the writing collaborations Thiessen used on this record. With a band that usually produces deep, thoughtful, and smart lyrics, most of this album feels so watered down. It's one thing if Thiessen choses to co-write with Jim Adkins from JEW; it's another thing if he collaborates with some cheese-making, sugar-popping, money-mongering no-good pop writers. Lyrics are SUCH a big part of this band, and I think that's why many fans feel disillusioned with it.
I couldn't have put it better than this...
08:58 AM on 12/13/13
Anthony Sorendino
Don't you dare ever give up...
User Info.
Been spending a lot of time with this album over the past week or so, since I missed it over the summer. The album just falls below average for me, but there were still enjoyable parts. I loved "Don't Blink." I think it's perfect for an end of the year montage, and I love the energy. "Lost Boy" is the best track on the album for me. It's different than what you're used to from the band, but I love the diversity there. "PTL" shows some of that as well. "Can't Complain" would have topped the summer charts if Bruno Mars sang it. It's enjoyable, but a bit too plain.

Just take the best tracks to add to the bands already staggering discography. No problem for me.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos