Our first bassist Kevin Falk (Between The Buried and Me, Every Time I Die) thought of it actually. We were sitting around our rehearsal studio throwing out ideas and The Material is the one that stuck.
2. How did this band get started?
Jon and I met at the end of high school and started writing songs together. I moved to San Diego for college, and Jon left on tour with his old band inMemory. When he quit that band, he and I started The Material in San Diego with our former drummer Noah Vowles. The rest is history.
3. What bands are you influenced by?
Foo Fighters, Brand New, Thrice, Paramore, Switchfoot, Pierce The Veil, Anberlin, Jimmy Eat World
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
Thrice, I still love that band. Foo Fighters too, definitely.
5. Best food to eat on tour?
We're all vegetarian/vegans so we like finding the best veggie food in each city. I would say Chicago Diner in Chicago is the best vegan food we've had on tour. It's awesome.
6. Why should people listen to your band?
We're real, and we rock. We don't subscribe to any particular trend. We just make music we would want to hear, music that connects with people.
7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?
To be completely honest, I never watch sports. I guess I could google some, but I really just don't want to give you a fake answer.
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
My bandmates, past and present, our amazing fans, my family and God for putting this crazy dream into my head and making it a reality.
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
The misconception that if you're not signed to a record label, you probably aren't a good band. Some of the best bands I know are not on labels. They are hard working, genuine, and much more appreciative of their fans.
10. Memorable tour experience?
Last year we played a festival at the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque. After the show we decided to get tattoos. All the shops were closed except for one. When we walked up, the two guys outside the shop said "Hey! It's The Material!" so we walked in and they were blasting our CD in the shop. Turns out they had just come from our show. We knew it was fate, so we all got matching tattoos that say "To Life", which has become our band motto.
11. What does AP.net mean to you?
AP.net is a voice for the fans, and an awesome source for music news.
12. What is your favorite song to play?
Our song "Life Vest" off our new album "Everything I Want To Say".
13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
We just got back from Kauai. I easily could have stayed there for a year. It's peaceful. The complete opposite of LA.
14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Michael Jackson. 80's kids know what's up.
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
Invisibility. I think it would be cool to disappear for a bit. Or to sneak into Disneyland for free.
16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
We used to have a whole warm up routine where we would get together and do jumping jacks and stretches. It was good band bonding time and it hyped you up for the stage. That's probably something we should bring back. The other bands usually look at us like we are crazy, but they always end up joining in the fun. :)
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
I have a music degree and studied opera and classical voice technique.
18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?
I think our album would be really great on radio. I wish it wasn't so dependent on how much money your band has. I think Internet radio is going to be taking over, but in the meantime, it would be really awesome to be on radio and have our music reach new ears.