AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Days Away - 01.24.04

Interviewed by
Days Away - 01.24.04Kamtin: Kam here from ap.net with Dave Gaslin and Days Away, go ahead and tell us your names, and what you do in the band.

Austin: Umm...Austin, I play lead guitar.

Chris: I'm Chris, I play bass...

Tim: And I'm Tim, and I play the drums.

Kamtin: Right off the bat, there are so many kids that wanna hear a full length from you guys...what are you plans?

Austin: Well we just recently signed a contract with Lava Records, and we're going to take the month of January to write, you know, go away with the band and just write some music. Feb 1st, we're looking to go into record it and spend the entire month recording. And then March 1st, go out and tour. And when the album comes out, we'll be touring on that for a while.

Kamtin: Ok, wow...you just answered like ten of my questions right there.When you guys were with We The People Records, it just seemed like things were pretty complicated. You had the EP, but I heard you guys weren't technically signed and he just kinda helped you out. And you guys had some new members, and with all this complications, was there ever a chance of Days Away heading towards a break up?

Austin: No....

Kamtin: Ever?

Austin: No, I mean we lost members here and there. But there was always kind of a core, so we just kind of stuck together. We're always going to be a band no matter what. Those are the plans.

Dave Gaslin: Real quick, going back to recording, do you guys have any idea on who is going to produce?

Austin: There's nothing solid on that right now, but there are definitely some people we are considering.

Kamtin: How has the move to a major label been so far?

Austin: We just signed. It's probably going to be amazing, and we are anticipating it to be so.

Chris: We may have different reactions in a month, so ask us then.

Tim: Well I mean, come on we get to record a full length. How rad is that.

Austin: Also, we've been on tour ever since.

Kamtin: 2003 was awesome for new releases. What were some of your favorites?

Austin: Ask these guys, I have to think.

Tim: New Radiohead....absolutely amazing...

Chris: I second that.....

Kamtin: Do we have a third?

Tim: There were so many albums though...so many good ones.

Dave Gaslin: You guys have been out with bands like Finch and A Static Lullaby, how does it feel to be hitting a softer crowd? How are they reacting?

Austin: The crowds have been great, very responsive. I mean they seem to be enjoying it, and that's what it's all about.

Kamtin: What is your view on the scene today? There are so many bands out there that sound like every other band. Like they have been manufactured. Do you think this trend will die out?

Tim: There are ALWAYS going to be bands that sound like bands. I wouldn't call it copying, I would call it more of an admiration. We just love to write music, and whatever comes out, is what we love.

Kamtin: And your new EP definitely has a softer feel than your last EP. It came a little more pop oriented wouldn't you say?

Austin: We wrote that so many years ago. Just sitting around as friends writing songs. And now, took more of a serious tone to it. It's become more of our lives. Call it a maturity if you will. We just grew into the writing process. We have a way that we write songs now, so that the product is what we want it to be.

Tim: We've really grown into our musical embodyment. You know what I mean?

Austin: Ya, we just go out, write what we love and have a good time. Whatever comes out comes out.

Dave Gaslin: Anything in particular that you guys would like to add?

Austin: Ya, just come out and check it out. I mean we enjoy playing it so much, that maybe they might enjoy it as much as we do.

Chris: I just want to say sianara to all the guys in my brothers band, This Day Forward, they recently called it quits. They were on Equal Vision Records, and are playing their last 3 shows as we speak.

*Absolutepunk.net and its staff would like to thank everyone who made this interview possible and wish the best of luck to the members of Days Away.

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
07:28 AM on 02/27/04
fullcollapse88
caught in suspension
User Info.
i would encourage anyone who is lucky enough to have a days away show near them to go. i hadn't heard of them when i saw them opening for finch, and they played one of the best sets i have ever seen.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos