AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Drama News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Rolling Stone Cover Controversy Follow-Up; Walgreens, CVS Ban Issue

Posted by - 05:17 AM on 07/18/13
In response to the outrage towards its recent cover featuring terrorist Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, Rolling Stone has added an editor's note to its online version of the story. Despite that, stores like Walgreens and CVS have banned the issue from appearing on its newsstands.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 213
05:34 AM on 07/18/13
therookielot
the shape of punk just came
User Info.
The ironic sad thing is, I can see this becoming a collector's item. YAY SOCIETY FOR GLAMORIZING VILLAINS.
05:36 AM on 07/18/13
bobsheiskawy
www.facebook.com/misewell
User Info.
05:42 AM on 07/18/13
bradsonemanband
I make music.
User Info.
The ironic sad thing is, I can see this becoming a collector's item. YAY SOCIETY FOR GLAMORIZING VILLAINS.
yup! exactly. now people are going to WANT to pick it up so they can be like, "dude, check this out! CVS and Walgreens wouldn't even carry this shit! but i found it so i got it. i'm so cool now!"

who cares?

like i said in the last news thread, Bin Laden was on just about every magazine cover, and no one cried like this, from what i can recall. get over yourselves.

the real problem is that Alternative Press keeps putting the shittiest bands ever on all of their covers.
05:48 AM on 07/18/13
Spencer Control
Goddamn, I miss my dead friends
User Info.
Newspapers do this all the time. Why is it an issue when a magazine does?
05:52 AM on 07/18/13
RepliesWithGifs
User Info.
05:53 AM on 07/18/13
therookielot
the shape of punk just came
User Info.
yup! exactly. now people are going to WANT to pick it up so they can be like, "dude, check this out! CVS and Walgreens wouldn't even carry this shit! but i found it so i got it. i'm so cool now!"

who cares?

like i said in the last news thread, Bin Laden was on just about every magazine cover, and no one cried like this, from what i can recall. get over yourselves.

the real problem is that Alternative Press keeps putting the shittiest bands ever on all of their covers.

Iconization is the problem. It sends the wrong message being on Rolling Stone. When I think of this magazine I think of "rockstars" its kind of saying that about this self-entitled fuck. It's not about the "Why" anymore, it's about the bodycount. How many people can you snuff out to get on the cover of Rolling Stone?
05:55 AM on 07/18/13
suicidesaints
A Million F@$% Diamonds
User Info.
Not sure what the issue is here. It's a news story being covered by a news source. As others have said Bin Laden's picture was all over everything.

If Tsarnaev or his family isn't benefiting from the article financially, and RS isn't portraying him in some positive light, then I really don't understand the backlash.
05:56 AM on 07/18/13
Recovery Room
2014 NL EAST DIVISION CHAMPS
User Info.
Because we live in an overly PC world that loves to feign offense for the stupidest things.
06:01 AM on 07/18/13
ECarp
User Info.
06:03 AM on 07/18/13
Amongster
Still In Last Place
User Info.
PropertyOfZack headline: Rolling Stone Issue Glorifying Boston Bomber Gets Banned From Stores

The way people are reacting to this is idiotic. I actually read the article — nothing is said to glamourise Tsarnaev. Giving background on his life does humanise him a bit, but he is a human after all. Does his image on the cover serve to inspire future terrorist acts? No more than plastering his face on the news nearly every single day since the bombing occurred. As for, "This isn't about music!" Rolling Stone has always covered political and cultural matters as well as entertainment. TIME wouldn't get this kind of backlash.

The people banning this issue for sale in their stores might as well burn books they find offensive.
06:08 AM on 07/18/13
Tim McCall
TBD
User Info.
PropertyOfZack headline: Rolling Stone Issue Glorifying Boston Bomber Gets Banned From Stores

The way people are reacting to this is idiotic. I actually read the article — nothing is said to glamourise Tsarnaev. Giving background on his life does humanise him a bit, but he is a human after all. Does his image on the cover serve to inspire future terrorist acts? No more than plastering his face on the news nearly every single day since the bombing occurred. As for, "This isn't about music!" Rolling Stone has always covered political and cultural matters as well as entertainment. TIME wouldn't get this kind of backlash.

The people banning this issue for sale in their stores might as well burn books they find offensive.
May I hug you? You have one of the best responses I've seen to this yet.
06:08 AM on 07/18/13
InaGreendase
Registered Member
User Info.
Yeah, Tsarnaev looks real glamorous on that cover. Definitely not like the schmucky college student he was.
06:10 AM on 07/18/13
CoopDawg
My sun soaked skin...
User Info.

I bet that it'll become an item featured on Pawn Stars sometime in the future.
06:11 AM on 07/18/13
OctoberOrigins
Jack
User Info.

STRONGLY disagree with that last comment. Why should a company be required to sell this issue of Rolling Stone? Choosing not to sell a product at their businesses =/= censorship, 'book burning', etc.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos