10:11 AM on 07/18/13
Jack Appleby
@JackMEB
User Info.

10:13 AM on 07/18/13
Jack Appleby
@JackMEB
User Info.
Despite all the nonsense over the years, I'm going into this record with a truly open mind. The band seems to be taking themselves very seriously, and are very intent on making this work.

But that little teaser reminds me of Deathstar, and I'm ok with it.
10:16 AM on 07/18/13
Jack Appleby
@JackMEB
User Info.
teasers sounds like a worse bring me the horizon
Based on BMTH & WCAR's popularity, and the sound of this teaser, record could be huge.
10:22 AM on 07/18/13
Jack Appleby
@JackMEB
User Info.
Who's their singer now?
Tilian Pearson

I'm done using logic to try to stop enjoying this band, I will buy this and it will be a great guilty pleasure
Pretty much how I look at it, though I actually think this could be a killer record. I just couldn't listen to DBM2 though - Jonny so obviously phoned it it.

Happiness is still the fucking best album - that lineup was the ideal DGD lineup and they fucked it up.
Agreed - loved how Kurt and Zach teamed with Will. That said, I'm glad I have DGD, A Lot Like Birds, and Strawberry Girls now.
11:17 AM on 07/18/13
Jack Appleby
@JackMEB
User Info.
Also, veryyyyyy curious to hear the first DGD record without Crummett.
01:59 PM on 07/18/13
Jack Appleby
@JackMEB
User Info.
Blows my mind that some people actually think that Deathstar is better than Happiness.
Makes sense for post-hardcore people.
02:38 PM on 07/18/13
Jack Appleby
@JackMEB
User Info.
Asking because I genuinely want to know: in what ways does it make sense?
I think there's a fair share of people who enjoy post-hardcore, but don't ever venture outside the genre - for those people, the more post-hardcore s/t would be a better listen than the more experimental Happiness.
02:42 PM on 07/18/13
Jack Appleby
@JackMEB
User Info.
You guysss the second half of Happiness (except for Powder) is some of the dumbest stuff they've put out. Come on now. I'll take Deathstar or DBM1, which are far more consistently solid, easily over that one.

So happy to finally get some news on this one. Been in the works for quite a while now it seems.
"Dumbest" is just a terrible word choice. Based on your preference for Deathstar and DBM1, you just don't care for more funk-based or experimental tunes. The Strawberry Swisher songs are fantastic, and "Don't Tell Dave" is a great time. Of the second half of Happiness, you enjoy "Powder" the most, which is the most straightforward, post-hardcore-friendly track of that half of the record.

So don't say "dumb" - because you sound dumb. It's just stylistically different.
02:48 PM on 07/18/13
Jack Appleby
@JackMEB
User Info.
referencing old song titles to try & interest fans who no longer care because Jonny Craig isn't their singer. lame. will check it out though to see what Will & Jon do next

can't believe how dumb people are. disregarding the amazingness of Downtown Battle Mountain 2 just because you dislike JC. get over yourselves & enjoy the music/talent
This comment is ridiculous.

I've enjoyed every era of DGD, regardless of Jonny's shenanigans - but Jonny's vocals on that record are completely phoned in. He doesn't use his range enough, and any songwriting chops he supposedly developed on the last Emarosa record were completely gone.

Jonny's melodies on "Robot 2 1/2" and "Thug City" are completely half-assed. Same goes for "Heat Seeking Ghost," but the song is naturally so catchy that he gets away with it. And even though I love Will Swan's guitarwork, the technicality and craziness of Swan's work (and his first without a second guitarist to bounce ideas with) may have made it even harder on the vocalists.

There's some good moments on DBM2, but it's an unfocused record, and a terrible showing from Jonny. However, I'd kill for an instrumental version of it.
03:12 PM on 07/18/13
Jack Appleby
@JackMEB
User Info.
I think "Thug City" has some of the catchy melodies out of their entire discog. In fact, it is in my top 3 favorite songs by them. Tied with Tree Village and Nasa.
Really? I just don't see it at all. The vocals on that song are completely forgettable to me - the instrumentals are fantastic, but the clean vocals melodies are a snoozefest for me.
03:14 PM on 07/18/13
Jack Appleby
@JackMEB
User Info.
you are spot on with your points. Jonny's best work was DBM 1 and relativity. If I remember correctly dgd released DBM 2 in about 6-8 months after Jonny's return. I think they completely rushed it and just wanted to get it out before jonny fucked up again.
Yeah, and I think Jonny quickly went back to his old ways after rejoining the band.

That said, Jonny's managed to keep his shit together in the last year, and it hasn't gone unnoticed...even though I don't care much for his R&B songs.
03:16 PM on 07/18/13
Jack Appleby
@JackMEB
User Info.
You're right, "dumb" wasn't the right word there. I guess "silly" was what I was going for. I actually really like Happiness as a whole, I was just disagree with the assertion that it (the lyrical content at least) was somehow more "mature" than the rest of their oeuvre. "We can have some cofeee, you can do my landryyy" I mean come on

Edit: and you're right I prefer the post hardcore stuff. Oh well

I think it was a tinge more mature, but let's be real: none of us listened to DGD for incredible life insight (though I've always enjoyed Kurt's lyrics).
03:45 PM on 07/18/13
Jack Appleby
@JackMEB
User Info.
I've seen that phrase used so much in relation to Jonny on DBM2 so i finally wanna say something (so this isnt me bitching directly at you, more at that particular viewpoint so many people hold)

So, he gets hate from people and called one-dimensional for "only singing high" originally (DBM1/Emarosa1), purposely sings lower in his range on DBM2 to change things up & be "different", and he gets hate for doings so & his efforts get labelled "phoned in".
Dude can't win. Some of the bands best work (privilously poncheezied is so fucking sick from an instrumental point of view, my god) gets widely overlooked simply because Jonny isnt being "stereotypical Jonny". Harsh imo.
I hear you, although I don't think as many people hated on him "only singing high" as you think.

I think "What I Would Give To Be Australian" is a great example of him utilizing his full range. That chorus is huge because it has actual structuring and set-up from the verses - something he's failed at.

The complaints about Jonny on DBM1 and Emarosa were his lack of adherence to typical song structuring (though I actually enjoyed his approach on both records). I still think Emarosa's second LP and Isles & Glaciers were his best showings as a complete vocalist (though Vic wrote his parts on I&G).

So I get your point - I just think that if he didn't phone it in, he just made really bad choices next to a reinvigorated Jon Mess. Mess' parts sound huge, then Jonny sounds like he almost forgot he was supposed to sing. In regards to both Jonny's talent and songwriting chops, I think DBM2 is his undisputed worst showing, especially considering how late it was in his career.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS