AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Postiljonen - Skyer Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8.5
Production 8.5
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 85%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Postiljonen - Skyer

Reviewed by: Blake Solomon (07/20/13)
Postiljonen - Skyer
Record Label: Best Fit Records
Release Date: July 22, 2013

Here’s a stupid story to end my stupid, involuntary reviewing hiatus. I was playing the game “Cards Against Humanity” because I’m a 26-year old white person, and the card “______ + ______ =______” was flipped. My winning combination came to, “Saxophones + Italians = Fetuses,” which I realize is unfunny out of context and akin to someone describing to you their most self-aggrandizing dream, but the point is this: I was wrong that night, and not just because I ate an entire Domino’s Pizza. I was wrong, because the real route to babymaking is “Saxophones + Swedish hipsters.”

Postiljonen is a band I was unfamiliar with until like a week ago. User Lightcollapse must have snuck out after his curfew and attended a show or something. But he was dead on with these Chvrches disciples (pun definitely intended) who jam atmospheric, synth-ridden pop tunes with the types of girly vocals Brad Pitt pretends to like when he grows his hair out. It’s big, bombastic, over-the-top and so dang fun. I like to imagine everyone I see bobbing their heads is listening to Postiljonen’s debut Skyer. Because that’s the only real course of action to take – shimmying and shaking around and wishing you were at a rooftop party in Malmo.

Mia Boe’s breathy vocals breeze by, and it’s words she’s singing, like when she pleads “Help me,” but you don’t really need to know what she’s saying most of the time (nor do I). Postiljonen are, ugh, summer music not just because it reminds you of a carefree time, but because the whole thing is a carefree time. Even when there’s a driving synth beat like on “We Raise Our Hearts” or a slowed-down moodier vibe on “Rivers,” (which features a spoken word section with funny things like, “The truth will set you free,”) you never get the sense that Postiljonen are trying to do anything but party. There are just lots of ways to party.

But perhaps it’s “Supreme” that, as a friend of mine with long hair said, has the sweetest groove. It’s music to vespa scooter to. Which is not doing a great job of selling anything. But its 80’s action movie guitar solo is powerful enough to make Eddie Murphy funny again. And, like I said, each time a saxophone shows up, like on the make-love-in-the-rain closer “Atlantis” or in the waning moments of coffeehouse jazz number “All That We Had Is Lost,” you not only smile but feel a little transformed.

It’s hard to go from hearing Skyer back into your everyday life. It feels like a record made to define an era. Not necessarily ours, but definitely Postiljonen’s. It’s something born from lasting relationships; from finding a group of people who can think like one. At their cores, successful summer albums are always about friendship and creating memories that nobody else could ever have. It’s one of those singular moments everyone experiences in their own way. Skyer is one piece of art, obviously. But it’s not going to do the same thing to you as it has done to me. And that’s a special thing.

Recommended If You Like: Chvrches, Summer Heart, M83, Washed Out

Odessawww.facebook.com/postiljonen

SCORE: 8.5

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 17
09:58 AM on 07/20/13
JamieTheSonger
05 Fuck Em
User Info.
Thank you.
10:11 AM on 07/21/13
owiseone35
You need human heat
User Info.
Thank you for reviewing this. This album is incredible and I hope more people check out this band. Great review as usual too, Blake.
09:06 AM on 07/22/13
Shakriel
I just need reassurance.
User Info.
Haha. Good review.

Loving this album.
09:41 AM on 07/22/13
aolsux
phase reverse
User Info.
Quote:
User Lightcollapse must have snuck out after his curfew and attended a show or something.
Album review line of the year.

But, this album is grand.
10:06 AM on 07/22/13
lightcollapse
on the edge of summer
User Info.
i have been immortalized
10:23 AM on 07/22/13
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
i have been immortalized
congrats! you've probably got a lot of people you want to thank. use the comments section at your discretion.
10:53 AM on 07/22/13
lightcollapse
on the edge of summer
User Info.
congrats! you've probably got a lot of people you want to thank. use the comments section at your discretion.
nice job on the review though blake
02:03 PM on 07/22/13
leftapart
User Info.
Wow, I absolutely love this! Sounds like the would be baby of M83 and Washed Out. Thank you for reviewing this album and allowing my ears to discover such pleasurable music. Never heard of Chvrches, so I'll give them a listen after I'm done here.
02:04 PM on 07/22/13
Jeremy Aaron
User Info.
Will have to check this one out.

Nice review, dick fingers.
02:47 PM on 07/22/13
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
Will have to check this one out.

Nice review, dick fingers.
is that a nickname i've inherited? or are you just surmising?
02:47 PM on 07/22/13
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
Wow, I absolutely love this! Sounds like the would be baby of M83 and Washed Out. Thank you for reviewing this album and allowing my ears to discover such pleasurable music. Never heard of Chvrches, so I'll give them a listen after I'm done here.
listen to "recover"
03:42 PM on 07/22/13
Jeremy Aaron
User Info.
is that a nickname i've inherited? or are you just surmising?
Haha. It's a Cards Against card. It's become sort of a wild-card catchphrase among my friends ever since it first came up in a game. Thought you might have seen it and get a chuckle out of it, but alas, it backfired.
04:28 PM on 07/22/13
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
Haha. It's a Cards Against card. It's become sort of a wild-card catchphrase among my friends ever since it first came up in a game. Thought you might have seen it and get a chuckle out of it, but alas, it backfired.

Fuckkkkkkkkkk. I do know that card. My friend even drew a dick fingers pic after we played a few weeks ago. I'll send it to you. Can't believe I missed that reference. That's my fault not yours.
04:31 PM on 07/22/13
dash64
This Is My Design
User Info.
Album is great and so is Cards Against Humanity. I've had some great times with that game.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests