AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Mayer Hawthorne - Where Does This Door Go? Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8.5
Production 8.5
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 85%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Mayer Hawthorne - Where Does This Door Go?

Reviewed by: Keagan Ilvonen (07/24/13)
Mayer Hawthorne - Where Does This Door Go?
Release Date: July 16th, 2013
Record Label: Republic Records

Mayer Hawthorne has become one of the most interesting figures in music since taking the stage name live in 2008. Growing up near Detroit, Mayer was born in a town that was once a musical landmark for soul, which led to his career beginnings as an emcee and DJ and slowly turned into something special. Diving head first into the heart of Detroit, Mayer began making soul and R&B music, doing a damn good job paying homage to his founding fathers.

Throughout his last two albums, there’s been an obvious musical evolving, creating more deliberate and occupied songs, but never fully delivering a complete album. Singles like “The Ills,” “No Strings,” and “The Walk” showcase Mayer at an all-time high with his retro-inspired soul pop. But with his new album, Where Does This Door Go?, Mayer recruited a handful of producers such as Pharrell, John Hill, and Jack Splash to take his album to the next level. The result? A genre-bending ode to the past but also a beacon to the future.

Where Does This Door Go? is 13 tracks (excluding an intro and interlude) demonstrating Mayer’s impeccable ear for melody and groove. “Backseat Lover” sets the tone of the album with a hollowed synth and signature Motown bass lines that are layered throughout all 52 minutes. Diversity has held Mayer back in the past, but not this time around. “Allie Jones” features the signature retro Hawthorne sound of the past, but modernized, again driven by thick bass lines and his immensely improved crooning. The next three songs “The Only One,” “Wine Glass Woman,” and lead single “Her Favorite Song” show the impact and growth from working with multiple producers. Each touches on various vibes and draws from a variety of genres and styles that derive from Michigan.

While A Strange Arrangement and How Do You Do have featured notable artists such as Snoop Dogg, no song stood out as taking a risk. However, this time around, that is not the case, as the recruitment of the story-telling wordsmith Kendrick Lamar in “Crime” results in easily the biggest risk Mayer’s taken in his career. Although both artists are fantastic in their own right, on paper this sounds like a musical massacre. But to the internet's dismay, it worked out to a T, showcasing both artists’ strong points. A sampled sitar provides the mystique, while Mayer provides the smooth narration of a late night party getting busted by the Five-Oh. As noted, Mayer’s signature croons have improved immensely, which is exemplified on the chorus as he sings. Kendrick follows, delivering his bars the only way Kendrick can – with velocity, ferocity and a soothing nature.

After the emotional story of “Reach Out Richard” and the sex groove of “Corsican Rose” comes the greatest highlight of the album with title track “Where Does This Door Go?” Equipped with whimsical string arrangements and a bouncing bass line and anchored by Mayer’s delicately placed and hauntingly beautiful howls, the track feels like it was pulled from a 60’s Beatles’ session. Sadly, it’s followed by the weakest song on the album, with “Robot Love” coming across as what should have been a b-side for “Designer Drug.” But as expected, the album comes right back with the one-two punch of “The Stars Are Ours” and the Hall and Oates inspired ballad, “All Better” ending on a soft but timely high note.

Ultimately, Mayer Hawthorne has created his most complete and compelling piece of art yet, taking risks, experimenting, and looking to expand his already defined palate. He stated that his goal was to make an album that you could play straight through at a party and he’s done more than just that. It’s an album you can play at any party, play in your car on the way home and take with you on the go. Pulling from legends of the past, Mayer has crafted an album that’s worthy of its predecessors and will be relished of those in the future.

8.5/10

Additional InformationTrack Listing
01) Problematization
02) Back Seat Lover
03) The Innocent
04) Allie Jones
05) The Only One
06) Wine Glass Woman
07) Her Favorite Song
08) Crime (with Kendrick Lamar)
09) Reach Out Richard
10) Corsican Rosé
11) Where Does This Door Go
12) Robot Love
13) The Stars Are Ours
14) All Better
Deluxe Edition
15) They Don't Know You
16) Fool
17) Kaila
18) Small Clone
19) Designer Drug

Website; Facebook; Twitter

Displaying posts 1 - 14 of 14
08:19 PM on 07/24/13
Slangster
Kill the lights, I've seen too much
User Info.
Great review, but I really like Robot Love BTW, probs wouldn't have listened to this without your high praise of it, and now I love it, so for that I thank you.
08:28 PM on 07/24/13
Jake Jenkins
https://twitter.com/jakej654
User Info.
need to check this out. nice review keag bby
02:39 AM on 07/25/13
hectorial85
Saved The Day
User Info.
Great review. Love MH.
05:44 AM on 07/25/13
mbao
I'm on the up and up.
User Info.
I felt like his vocals in A Strange Arrangement were kinda weak, like he was straining to reach the higher notes so much. I liked his vibe there though.

Listened to this when it was streaming though and really enjoyed it.
07:14 AM on 07/25/13
RonStoppable
yeezy season approachin
User Info.
This album's great. Nice review.
07:23 AM on 07/25/13
billyboatkid
The Protagonist of Loneliness
User Info.
Loving this album. Definitely my new favorite release of his.
07:43 AM on 07/25/13
Dustin Harkins
Go support Kony 2012 some more
User Info.
Thanks guys I'm really proud of this review. Thanks for posting it for me Keagan.
10:08 AM on 07/25/13
leftapart
User Info.
Sick.
12:17 PM on 07/25/13
Matt Chylak
contextblues.wordpress.co m
User Info.
decent review, except for:

"But to the internet's dismay, it worked out to a T, showcasing both artists’ strong points."

didn't realize the internet wanted this song to fail
12:22 PM on 07/25/13
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
Thanks guys I'm really proud of this review. Thanks for posting it for me Keagan.
hehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
12:28 PM on 07/25/13
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
decent review, except for:

"But to the internet's dismay, it worked out to a T, showcasing both artists’ strong points."

didn't realize the internet wanted this song to fail
Didn't want it to fail, but definitely had doubts on how it would turn out.
08:36 PM on 07/25/13
Intotheunkn0wn
User Info.
great review - thanks for posting!
03:35 PM on 09/20/13
MellowHype
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I agree with everyone else, great review! The only thing is you forgot to mention my two favorite songs; "The Innocent" and "Kaila!" I love this album, in my opinion its one of the best of 2013. I hope he gets nominated for a Grammy.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests