AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Owen - L'ami du Peuple Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 8
Production 8
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 80%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.33
Musicianship 9.5
Lyrics 9.17
Production 9
Creativity 8.83
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9.33
Average: 92%
Inside AP.net

Owen - L'ami du Peuple

Reviewed by: Kelly Doherty (07/25/13)
Owen - L'ami du Peuple
Record Label: Polyvinyl Records
Release Date: July 2, 2013

Prepare yourself to fall in love all over again with the music of Mr Mike Kinsella. One of the few standing veterans of the emo world, Kinsella has returned again, this time with yet another release from Owen. Whilst it’s gotten to a point that we can almost completely rely on Kinsella to create music that’s at least pleasant, it’s wonderful to hear an album like L’ami du Peuple. Ten tracks of no thrills indie folk which let the lyrics speak for themselves, whilst this isn’t an album that will make many end of the year lists, it is certainly a record for people to return to any time they find themselves alone or just having a contemplative moment.

Y’know that part on Death Cab For Cutie’s “The Sound Of Settling”? When Mr Gibbard refuses to tell what the actual sound of settling is and chooses to just leave us with ‘bah, bahs’? Yeah, well, if you’re still wondering, L’ami du Peuple is probably the answer to that. Every track on here just seeps with Kinsella’s journey into settling down and as a result of that, he’s presented us with one of the most relaxing albums of the year. Whether it’s the occasional twinkle and the hushed vocals of opener “I Got High” or the almost dance-like synths of “The Burial”, nothing on here is set to get the heart pulsing or to affect your day too much. That’s not to say it’s boring, however. Kinsella is on top lyrical form. Lines such as Colors tend to fade/[…]/ I can see them with my eyes closed/ Light refracted like it once was,” and... show that Kinsella’s comfort in life haven’t separated him from being able to identify with his audience or with the emotional topics he’s dealt with since his tender years.

Listening to L’ami du Peuple is like aurally witnessing a man on a journey of self-discovery. Whilst Kinsella has accepted his surroundings, it doesn’t mean he’s sitting out the game. “I Got High”’s simultaneous acknowledgement of the positive effect of his education and criticism of the futility of education is but a sample of the poeticism that Kinsella displays on here. On the flipside of the coin, “A Fever” uses brash lyrics which present emotions in a metaphorically upfront way. Whilst it may seem like I’m focusing a little too much on Owen’s lyrics, the general pleasantness of the record means it would be very easy to just leave L’ami du Peuple playing in the background without really listening to it.

That’s the album’s main flaw, however. Whilst it’s a spectacular record if you listen hard to it, the soft strumming, hushed vocals and earnest, sweet sounds filtering through the speakers can get lost. Although it feels like Kinsella is entirely comfortable in doing what he does, a touch of experimentation certainly wouldn’t go amiss as occasionally tracks run into one another with little difference between them. This doesn’t particularly affect the overall album, however for the sake of Owen getting the attention it deserves, maybe catering to the audience could help him out a bit.

Overall, L’ami du Peuple is a wonderful album. Kinsella has, yet again, created music as an art form and has provided us with a soundtrack to all of those moments between the events. With no signs of slowing down anytime soon, Kinsella is a truly talented artist.

Recommended If You LikeI Can Make A Mess' Enola; Ben Gibbard with an acoustic guitar; Mike Kinsella

Additional InformationTrack Listing
1. I Got High
2. Blues To Black
3. Love Is Not Enough
4. Coffin Companions
5. The Burial
6. Bad Blood
7. Who Cares?
8. A Fever
9. Where Do I Begin?
10. Vivid Dreams

Band Members
Mike Kinsella

8/10

Facebook

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 27.
03:33 PM on 07/25/13
Spartan789013
I should be proper for a change
User Info.
This is his best album, hands down. I can't recommend it enough. Coffin Companions is such a jam and a half.
06:13 PM on 07/25/13
Zac Djamoos
fantasizing the sight of manhattan
User Info.
Lyrics are definitely his best like you said, and I agree that most of the songs sound similar, unfortunately. I think my favorite's always gonna be I Do Perceive.

Good review, Kelly.
09:13 PM on 07/25/13
Zac Djamoos
fantasizing the sight of manhattan
User Info.
But God is that cover appalling
08:10 AM on 07/26/13
Modern Leper
what?
User Info.
One of the best of the year.
08:26 AM on 07/26/13
philbylink
the shower's in the toilet
User Info.
"riyl: mike kinsella" how much lazier can you get? at least name a few of his other projects
08:27 AM on 07/26/13
jrtbighurt
[SOMEONEcallANambulance]
User Info.
This is his best album, hands down. I can't recommend it enough. Coffin Companions is such a jam and a half.
Yeah, love this record so much.
08:27 AM on 07/26/13
philbylink
the shower's in the toilet
User Info.
also "no thrills indie folk", do you mean "no frills?" unless the album is boring, which i don't think it is, but i don't know if you're trying to make a joke or if you messed up the expression
08:46 AM on 07/26/13
jhog3411
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
" a touch of experimentation certainly wouldn’t go amiss as occasionally tracks run into one another with little difference between them." This statement pretty much sums up Owen, right? I loved the first few albums but at some point it just got tiring. It's sounds great but how many times can he repeat the same type of songs? I say this having not listened to the newest release but having listened to almost everything before it.
08:53 AM on 07/26/13
GNARgnarGnar
User Info.
whilst
08:57 AM on 07/26/13
cortezthekilla
sur la montagne.
User Info.
I cannot decide which one of his albums is my favorite. He's so consistent. He's the only artist that I know that has that title. The most consistent. He's never made a wrong move, even the young sound of his first album is amazing. AOTY for me.
09:30 AM on 07/26/13
Modern Leper
what?
User Info.
I feel like despite a couple of sentences trying to suggest otherwise, this is the only Owen album the reviewer has heard.
09:57 AM on 07/26/13
Joey-Wan Kenobi
fourth and goal
User Info.
"riyl: mike kinsella" how much lazier can you get? at least name a few of his other projects
then again, if you are friends with Mike and like him, it is probably best to take a listen...

this is actually the first owen record in a while that I haven't pre-ordered or at least picked up from a store. I hate when rent goes up, yet pay rate stays the same.
11:50 AM on 07/26/13
Lews Therin
User Info.
I feel like despite a couple of sentences trying to suggest otherwise, this is the only Owen album the reviewer has heard.

I have to agree here. In the context of Kinsella's musical journey, L'Ami Du Peuple is certainly his most mature, and perhaps best album, while still retaining the classic features that you would expect from an Owen record. This record has everything from slow-building jams to gorgeous strolls through musical landscapes. I would argue that the track Bad Blood provides the moment of experimentation that the review is looking for as it is quite different from other tracks in Mike's vast catalog. This will certainly be high on my end-of-the-year list.
12:58 PM on 07/26/13
dearmsterri
User Info.
I'm not going to lie, this album didn't exactly hit me with first listen, such as his other albums. But now I can't get enough of it. I think every Owen album offers something different and unique. I still can't pick my favorite Owen album and probably never will. It's just too tough of a challenge.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests