Username
Password
Legal News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Legal
Inside AP.net

Former American Idol Contestants Are Suing

Posted by: Jason Tate (07/26/13)
Ten former American Idol contestants are suing the show (for 25 million dollars) for the allegedly racist policies set in place by its producers.
The group claims they were unjustly kicked off the show because of their race, accusing producers of orchestrating a “cruel and inhumane” scheme to juice ratings by allegedly digging up their criminal histories after they were accepted on the show in order to embarrass them in TV segments. According to their lawyer, James H. Freeman, they were treated unfairly by the producers. Freeman also says their arrest histories were obtained illegally, and the practice was used to find dirt only on black singers. None of the contestants, Freeman says, were actually convicted of the charges for which they arrested.

Submitted by mr_raccoon

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 48
03:24 PM on 07/26/13
gr33ndayfr3ak
www.nickferran.com
User Info.
Holy shit, if this turns out to be true (and if 10 are suing, they must have good reason), the producers are going to be in very big trouble.
03:33 PM on 07/26/13
brothemighty
Blue moon, where are you today?
User Info.
BURN, IDOL! BURN!
03:37 PM on 07/26/13
Punkdc
Some guy who enjoys stuff
User Info.
Wont stick. People have tried this already with The Bachelor and it got tossed out almost immediately. http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/2...t-its-concerns
03:41 PM on 07/26/13
ARo2431
User Info.
Lol. People always looking for hand outs.
03:44 PM on 07/26/13
TheRealJohnOC
@BehindtheCade Seen 701 bands live!
User Info.
03:59 PM on 07/26/13
Arry
apreeesh
User Info.
Fuck thisss shoowwwww. I waited outside of the rose garden for close to 24 hours because my friend (I'm a really good friend) wanted to 'make it'. You first audition in front of a bunch of screeners, in front of a huge crowd waiting for their turn. You can hear amazing voices belting it out, but they never make it. The only people that make it, are the ones who wear costumes, visibly crazy, or has some kind of marketing schtick to it. (Twins, cancer, single dad, etc.) I know it's TV, but hell. I feel so bad for the people they make fun of.
04:07 PM on 07/26/13
Nardes
User Info.
well.. it is America voting, sooooooo does that make America racist?
04:09 PM on 07/26/13
Ricketts
@allenricketts
User Info.
Lol. People always looking for hand outs.
Exactly. Litigious cunts.
04:46 PM on 07/26/13
tdlyon
User Info.
I would really love to see this show get fucked, but it's not going to happen.
05:00 PM on 07/26/13
DandonTRJ
~~~ヾ(^∇^
User Info.
Haha, I'm involved in this lawsuit. Which probably means I shouldn't say anything other than that. Should be interesting, though.
05:30 PM on 07/26/13
ParkwayTom
Forgive me, Nashville
User Info.
What a fucking joke.
06:05 PM on 07/26/13
emmx8D
Thanks Daaaaaaaaaan
User Info.
Haha, I'm involved in this lawsuit. Which probably means I shouldn't say anything other than that. Should be interesting, though.
wut
06:19 PM on 07/26/13
Geology Rocks!
Why are you so afraid?
User Info.
How are you involved?
06:30 PM on 07/26/13
kianacarly
I'm living it, leaving it to change
User Info.
Fuck thisss shoowwwww. I waited outside of the rose garden for close to 24 hours because my friend (I'm a really good friend) wanted to 'make it'. You first audition in front of a bunch of screeners, in front of a huge crowd waiting for their turn. You can hear amazing voices belting it out, but they never make it. The only people that make it, are the ones who wear costumes, visibly crazy, or has some kind of marketing schtick to it. (Twins, cancer, single dad, etc.) I know it's TV, but hell. I feel so bad for the people they make fun of.

It blows my mind how many people still don't realize this. I offhandedly mentioned the "pre-auditions" to a coworker who watches the show, and she was actually shocked. She thought that every contestant got to audition for the famous judging panel, lol bless her. I also had a friend who auditioned at the Rose Garden who is amazing. I hadn't heard her sing since we were kids, and I was shocked at how legitimately amazing she was, and if nothing else, she's gorgeous so I figured the producers would eat that up. But nope. That's the one reason I'll always like The Voice more. I totally disagree that they really only care about the voice, but at least they don't show purposely bad auditions.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests