Username
Password

Album Review - Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 24 of 24.
06:50 PM on 08/04/13
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
Then why post that here? Even though I believe anyone with at least a passing interest in melodic progressive rock could at least somewhat enjoy DLC they are very much not an "in your face" kind of band like maybe Asking Alexandia where similar comments are usually found.
I checked this band out back when I was more open to this type of music because I loved (and still love) the Graduate and the two were compared a some point. Nowadays, I don't really dig any modern alt prog bands like this one, actually. I greatly prefer classic prog rock to alt prog or even prog metal.
12:16 PM on 08/05/13
Lukekj
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This album is not as good as their first, it's good but not better. No fricken way is his voice better than 'Maynard James Keenan's'. He has a good voice but let's get real. :) I can understand Australia wanting a band that tops Tool. Your gonna have to do better than this though..When it happens I"ll be the first from the US to admit it and love that album.:) The Catalyst Fire is much better than Asymmety though. I didn't care for that album much. If anything I thought Ian Kelly would take possibly take the thrown from Maynard. Not the case though.
12:19 PM on 08/05/13
Lukekj
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I checked this band out back when I was more open to this type of music because I loved (and still love) the Graduate and the two were compared a some point. Nowadays, I don't really dig any modern alt prog bands like this one, actually. I greatly prefer classic prog rock to alt prog or even prog metal.
Check out 'Relayer by yes', you won't regret it(it's their masterpiece). See, I played out all the classic stuff first, I need new stuff now.
12:52 PM on 08/05/13
WeltallAY
Je suis l'Alpha et l'Oméga
User Info.
I can see why Steve relates DLC to Tool but the bands are very far apart IMO. Two way different styles, DLC is much much more melodic and is more youthful sounding so I wouldn't spend much time comparing the 2. For what it's worth though, I greatly prefer DLC.
01:02 PM on 08/05/13
Steve Alcala
"Counting Fish"
User Info.
This album is not as good as their first, it's good but not better. No fricken way is his voice better than 'Maynard James Keenan's'. He has a good voice but let's get real. :) I can understand Australia wanting a band that tops Tool. Your gonna have to do better than this though..When it happens I"ll be the first from the US to admit it and love that album.:) The Catalyst Fire is much better than Asymmety though. I didn't care for that album much. If anything I thought Ian Kelly would take possibly take the thrown from Maynard. Not the case though.

I didn't say he was a better vocalist, he just has more variation in melody at points in the album and his tone is reminiscent of Maynard's, if only a bit higher pitched.

Never said they're Austalia's replacement for Tool either. Tool is Tool, DLC is DLC. I just found minor similarities that I felt Tool fans could appreciate.
12:12 AM on 08/07/13
Lukekj
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I was just joking about whole knocking him off his throne... Still Maynard's voice is wayyy better. Plus he doesn't have more range, they're totally different octaves. They are big fans of Tool though.. If this album's guitar work was as good as the first album or better I might say they're better, at least guitar-wise. That's not the case though.. Great album though. Tool is still a bit better though, pop in lateralus and tell me this album is better(in response to the person that said they're better than tool). The reason those comparisons are made is because they're both top notch prog-rock(which there isn't much of). I personally like This is the Warning more. This album has the drums and bass recorded much better than the first album though. The bass and drums sound better than just about anything I've heard. Especially the bass, which is recorded amazingly. They sound more youthful than Tool, that's funny...I don't even know how to respond to that. I think Rob was a better guitarist though, these guys are just barely getting away with duplicating his style. His shoes, are some difficult ones to fill. Still wayyy better than Asymmetry though... and I'm happy it wasn't the mess that album is..To me, this sounds like a freshman album all over again. I think the next one will really shine. Too many lineup changes, makes for a kind of underdeveloped sound compared to the first album. Still some great tunes though! peace
03:05 PM on 08/11/13
kevindadbrewer
Kevin Brewer
User Info.
Great review. Great Band. I would really love to see them tour with Monuments, but that won't make it to the America's. I'd love to see them tour with someone like Tool, and/or Tesseract as well.
07:24 AM on 09/13/13
iamalexenglish
Aren't Kids Anymore…
User Info.
RIYL?
07:40 AM on 09/13/13
WeltallAY
Je suis l'Alpha et l'Oméga
User Info.
I was just joking about whole knocking him off his throne... Still Maynard's voice is wayyy better. Plus he doesn't have more range, they're totally different octaves. They are big fans of Tool though.. If this album's guitar work was as good as the first album or better I might say they're better, at least guitar-wise. That's not the case though.. Great album though. Tool is still a bit better though, pop in lateralus and tell me this album is better(in response to the person that said they're better than tool). The reason those comparisons are made is because they're both top notch prog-rock(which there isn't much of). I personally like This is the Warning more. This album has the drums and bass recorded much better than the first album though. The bass and drums sound better than just about anything I've heard. Especially the bass, which is recorded amazingly. They sound more youthful than Tool, that's funny...I don't even know how to respond to that. I think Rob was a better guitarist though, these guys are just barely getting away with duplicating his style. His shoes, are some difficult ones to fill. Still wayyy better than Asymmetry though... and I'm happy it wasn't the mess that album is..To me, this sounds like a freshman album all over again. I think the next one will really shine. Too many lineup changes, makes for a kind of underdeveloped sound compared to the first album. Still some great tunes though! peace
The difference is that DLC's music is HIGHLY melodic, energetic and gushingly emotional at times while Tool is often more droning/depressed sounding with slower sludgier instrumentation. Tool is obviously a very influential and great band but DLC is leagues more interesting in my book (therefore the better band to me).
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums