AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Info. News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Vinyl Sales (And Cost) Are Up; Are Buyers Playing Their Records?

Posted by - 09:11 AM on 07/30/13
Everyone knows vinyl sales are up across the board, but did you know people aren't listening to them and labels are increasing the cost? Probably figured out the later, and I hope you're not one of the first.
A simple analysis gives the appearance that overpriced vinyl records are not generally being bought by kids for their rediscovered fidelity. From Williamsburg to Portland, our musical choices define some part of our identities and displaying these choices, along with our apparent respect for the value of music, makes our identities non-virtual—i.e., real—as well. Even iTunes has default settings, which display covers from our music library as art. They’re not only time capsules of moments in our lives but; for the first time, also for a certain unique transitory time in the arc of the world as we know it.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 74
09:20 AM on 07/30/13
EvilZeppelin
FUZZZZZZ
User Info.
Kinda funny how I made a remark about this earlier...
09:22 AM on 07/30/13
NateFoundGlory
Why do you stay till you see blood?
User Info.
I've only recently started my record collection (I'm only at about 15), and just a couple weeks ago picked up a record player. Still have to get some speakers though.

So yes, I'm one of the people who doesn't listen to them, but for a different reason.
09:24 AM on 07/30/13
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I don't know if using turntable purchases as a barometer is fair - a great deal of my vinyl listening friends are simply using their parents' old turntables. Still, decent read.

Actually very ok with people buying records that don't listen to them - anything that supports music and vinyl works for me. Personally, I have a few records that I don't enjoy much sound-wise, but love the cover art in the LP sleeve format.
09:25 AM on 07/30/13
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Also, here's a snarky analogy: people who collect stamps don't use them either.
09:25 AM on 07/30/13
johnnyferris
Inside of your heart always
User Info.
I'll always play mine.
09:27 AM on 07/30/13
Amongster
Still In Last Place
User Info.
Perhaps it's my fault for not hanging out with shitheads, but everyone I know who collects records also plays them.
09:28 AM on 07/30/13
mondaybest
nothing is sacred
User Info.
I listen to my records all of the time. Kind of hard with a kitten, but I manage!
09:29 AM on 07/30/13
bob.osos
BOB!
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Yeah unless I buy two copies... I'm buying a record so I'll have a copy TO LISTEN TO and that I can't lose in a harddrive crash or CD scratch.

MP3 = Like it
CD = Love it
Vinyl = GOTTA HAVE IT!
09:30 AM on 07/30/13
contra11mundum
I am not magnificent.
User Info.
Very few days go by that I don't listen to my records. That said, I don't doubt for a second that tons of people buy and don't listen.
09:35 AM on 07/30/13
Ryan Dennehy
A ot of people will make an effort to buy older tables, because companies have discontinued the good ones - which were prohibitively expensive - or produce cheap shit like UO's Crosleys.
09:41 AM on 07/30/13
PirateSkater182
I want a new username.
User Info.
I get about 2-3 records in a week. Using my dads hand-me-down setup. I've been buying new records for almost 2 years and I've watched the trend and prices annoyingly grow.
09:42 AM on 07/30/13
skaorsk8
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Yeah unless I buy two copies... I'm buying a record so I'll have a copy TO LISTEN TO and that I can't lose in a harddrive crash or CD scratch.

MP3 = Like it
CD = Love it
Vinyl = GOTTA HAVE IT!
An Aziz joke!
09:49 AM on 07/30/13
lordchamberlain
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
word. there are plenty of things people collect and don't use. however, vinyl has a different kind of functionality than stamps. you can only use stamps once. so i guess that's why people get upset when other people collect vinyl? i don't know.

i also agree with you that measuring the number of turntables is a weak barometer. there's no indication of high correlation there. a better barometer is going to VC (zing).

of course fucking hipsters will do it because they think they're being counterculture or anti-modern or some shit. but when you make limited quantities of anything you ARE giving it an inherent element of collectability that makes it appealing to anyone. however i know that major labels are still pressing records in mass quantities on black so that point can't blanket the market.

anyway, isn't this just a matter of supply and demand? an upward shift in demand drives up prices and supply. and the hipsters who collect and don't listen don't know any better about prices five or 10 years ago.
09:52 AM on 07/30/13
Amongster
Still In Last Place
User Info.
You can't collect and use the same stamp, though.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos