Username
Password
Legal News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Legal
Inside AP.net

Black Flag Co-Founder Sues Ex-Bandmates

Posted by: Jason Tate (08/05/13)
Black Flag co-founder Greg Ginn and SST Records are suing Flag, along with Henry Rollins, alleging Rollins and Keith Morris attempted to patent the Black Flag logo, and name in September of 2012, thus committing fraud.
He sued his 1979-mid 1980s bandmates Friday, seeking an injunction against their current tour, which kicked off in May and will stop in Los Angeles (pending this case) for FYF Fest on August 24. The suit describes the alleged infringement of the logo and name "Flag" as "a colorable imitation" that's "likely to cause confusion, mistake or deception among consumers."

Submitted by ManchesterOrch8

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 18
11:39 AM on 08/05/13
tomtom94
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I think the members of Flag will find it difficult to argue that the logo isn't designed to look like Black Flag's logo but surely they can argue they're a tribute act, there must be precedence for that.

What's this about them attempting to patent the logo?
11:43 AM on 08/05/13
QuietThings430
Stop liking things.
User Info.
I just wish Ginn and Rollins would get along again :(
11:50 AM on 08/05/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
I think the members of Flag will find it difficult to argue that the logo isn't designed to look like Black Flag's logo but surely they can argue they're a tribute act, there must be precedence for that.

What's this about them attempting to patent the logo?
I forgot to include the link. My fault.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr...ndmates-599117
12:10 PM on 08/05/13
ManchesterOrch8
Hi, I'm Andy Hull.
User Info.

haha I did the same thing when submitting the news!
12:21 PM on 08/05/13
Charles777
Feeling groovy
User Info.
TEAM ROLLINS/MORRIS/STEVENSON
12:28 PM on 08/05/13
anthonydarko
Fight Milk
User Info.
Say Greg, why don't you pay not only the other Black Flag members but all the SST artists the royalties you owe them them before you start crying about what's owed to you? Just a thought, you know?
12:38 PM on 08/05/13
DeathOrGlory
I'm not fucked, not quite
User Info.
WOO! PUNK ROCK!
01:14 PM on 08/05/13
ManchesterOrch8
Hi, I'm Andy Hull.
User Info.
Ginn may have opened up a can of worms if the artists want to countersue for all the back royalties. I believe he's saying that everyone has signed over/sold their ownership and potential future profits to him, though I've never heard that otherwise. I think the other guys/bands were just sort of letting sleeping dogs lie.

I don't buy that Rollins and Morris tried patenting the name, at least not in the way that Greg's alleging. Rollins doesn't include the bars on anything as far as I know, and I have a ton of books/cds/dvds of his, so why would he even attempt to patent it? As far as I can tell, he doesn't care about Black Flag or his "legacy" with them.
01:23 PM on 08/05/13
cowlord
( \_(ツ)_/)
User Info.
Suing is punk rawk
01:37 PM on 08/05/13
Bryan Mac
GFYTN
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This isn't very punk.
04:38 PM on 08/05/13
abusedcat
Long Gone Before Daylight
User Info.
06:12 PM on 08/05/13
Steeeve Perry
Pushin' th' little daisies
User Info.
Ginn may have opened up a can of worms if the artists want to countersue for all the back royalties. I believe he's saying that everyone has signed over/sold their ownership and potential future profits to him, though I've never heard that otherwise. I think the other guys/bands were just sort of letting sleeping dogs lie.

I don't buy that Rollins and Morris tried patenting the name, at least not in the way that Greg's alleging. Rollins doesn't include the bars on anything as far as I know, and I have a ton of books/cds/dvds of his, so why would he even attempt to patent it? As far as I can tell, he doesn't care about Black Flag or his "legacy" with them.
I'm pretty sure most of the really popular bands on SST have already gone to court and taken back control of their back catalogues -- Sonic Youth, Meat Puppets, etc. Many of the other bands deserve outstanding royalties, but wouldn't make enough off of a lawsuit to cover the costs of the lawsuit in the first place. Also, lawsuits are not punk rock. Also also, FLAG>Black Flag reuinted.
06:38 PM on 08/05/13
swagofthe90s
music <3
User Info.
not very punk of them
08:54 PM on 08/05/13
ZachMadeMeOdd
<("<) ^( " )^ (>")>
User Info.
This is the most interesting punk music story posted on here in wwwwooowwwwww.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests