AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Thump - 07.22.13

Interviewed by
Thump - 07.22.13
The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Thump

biggthump.wordpress.com
twitter.com/biggthump
soundcloud.com/biggthump

1. How did you get your name?
It's funny, I get this question a lot. When my Mom had her first ultrasound she said I had a very distinct heartbeat, so she called me Thumper before I had any other name. That's the name I've always gone by, and some of my family members don't even know my real name.

2. How did you get started?
I've been playing music for a long time. I joined the school band in fifth grade and started writing poetry very early. I remember writing a four stanza poem for my Mom for Mother's Day in about fourth grade. I finally brought those two disciplines together when I started high school, in about 2007.

3. What artists are you influenced by?
I think everyone I listen to influences me in some way. I like plenty of independent hip hop artists, like Atmosphere, Doomtree, Aesop Rock and Busdriver. I've always been a huge fan of movie and video game scores too, and Nobuo Uematsu is one of my favorite composers.

4. If you could tour with any artists, past or present, who would they be and why?
I think a good tour is one where the performers are inspiring and fun to travel with. Friends make the best tour mates.

5. Best food to eat on tour?
I'm a taco guy. I also like a good burger. Whenever I travel I make it a point to not go to any big chain restaurants. I like to try new foods and get a taste of the region. I really like Dyer's in Memphis and Fuzzy's Tacos in the South.

6. Why should people listen to you?
I write honest and engaging stories. I try to be as detailed and emotional as possible. One of my privileges as a producer and rapper is the ability to change the music to fit the lyrics better. I think my style of hip hop is one that is rarely experienced and much different than average.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?
I'm not very big on sports. I watch football but I don't really care for specific players. I do love martial arts though, and I'm a big Bruce Lee fan.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
I suppose I'd thank the same people everyone does; Mom, Dad, etc. I've done most of my own stunts in my music career, so no producers, mixers, or engineers. Probably also my brother Bizzoe for our many collaborations, my friend SQV!NTZ for his awesome remix and great conversations, and my friend Victoria for her amazing artwork. And Kelsey the Shoryuqueen for her support. Usually.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
I wish artists had more immediate access to performance for new fans. When artists are just starting, they get friends and family to their performances, but gaining exposure and new fans is a difficult task. We need to have more local festivals for artists to join.

10. Memorable tour experience?
Food.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
Immediate access to powerful tools.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
I guess it depends on the situation. I don't have a single go to song for anything though. I like to switch things up, and I'm always singing whatever comes to mind.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
I've never been on the same vacation twice. I really like NYC and Key West.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Funk and 80s rock. My parents' music.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
Spider-Man has always been my favorite hero, but I don't really want to pick my own power. What's the fun in that?

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
I've been performing far too long to even notice if I have any rituals. We started a tradition in marching band in high school where we chanted a certain phrase, and that section still carries that on today.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
I don't know. I'm usually very open about who I am on my Twitter feed. I love music, fighting games, coffee, movies and animals.

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where you could flourish?
My local radio stations are a terrible place for local artists. They only play top 100 music. That being said, if the general population decides to like good music in the future, I think I'd be alright.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
I play Street Fighter, make beats, and watch movies. Sometimes simultaneously.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I try not to hide my talents. I used to draw and paint. I once rode a pogo stick around the block. I'm good at accents and impressions. I can eat ten times my weight. I think everyone already knows I'm really good at fighting games, I write poetry, and I'm a music student.

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
02:25 PM on 08/19/13
Blake02
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
So, your hidden talents aren't already hidden ;) ~
- buying followers on instagram

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music