Username
Password
Round-Up News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Round-Up
Inside AP.net

Australian Music Round-Up (08/18/13)

Posted by: Deborah Remus (08/18/13)
Head to the replies to read this week's Australian Music Round-Up.

Displaying posts 1 - 11 of 11
09:23 AM on 08/18/13
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
Thanks to Sam and Ben for putting this together.

Australian Music Round-Up
NEWS

Paul Dempsey (Something For Kate) has announced a new EP entitled Shotgun Karaoke, due for release October 4. The project stems from Something For Kate’s most recent tour during which Dempsey would film a different cover each night and upload it on the band’s facebook. The response was enough from fans for him to visit the studio and lay down a selection of the covers for a one-off EP. Dempsey has also announced a tour in conjunction with the release which you can find the dates for below.

Melbourne’s favourite party-punks The Bennies have signed to Poison City Records. The band will release their as-yet-untitled second album on November 4, which follows on from this year’s Better Off Dread 7”.

This year’s edition of Blood, Sweat & Beers will take place October 6 at Hermann’s Bar, Sydney after being postponed earlier in the year. The first announcement of acts includes The Nation Blue, Grim Fandango, Lo!, Safe Hands, Army Of Champions, Ramshackle Army, Firearms, Batpiss, ebolagoldfish, Oslow and Ivan Drago with more to be announced including an acoustic stage. Tickets are on sale now.

The Amity Affliction have added a second Melbourne show to the upcoming Brothers In Arms Tour due to high ticket demand. The new show is slated for the Palace Theatre on October 24. The tour sees the band joined by Chelsea Grin, Stick To Your Guns and In Hearts Wake.

Boy & Bear released their sophomore album Harlequin Dream this week, which you can purchase on iTunes here or stream on Spotify here. The album is the follow-up to 2011’s debut Moonfire, which reached #2 on the ARIA albums charts.

Earlier in the week the news story of the day was The Smith Street Band’s #ampgate crisis. Vocalist / guitarist Wil Wagner had his amplifier stolen from the band’s launch show for new EP Don’t Fuck With Our Dreams last weekend at Melbourne’s Old Bar and the venue in turn outed the perpetrators via CCTV footage. After a series of negotiations and Wagner keeping enthralled fans (including Frank Turner) abreast of the day’s developments via social media, the amp was eventually recovered. Take a look at the thrilling saga here.

Loon Lake have released the second cut from their forthcoming album Gloamer entitled Carolina, which you can check out here. Gloamer is due for release October 11.

Melbourne’s Japan For are streaming their new EP Traveller in full ahead of its release. The release is being physically issued on a high quality metal keychain USB / bottle opener which you can order here. The EP was recorded by Sam Johnson (The Smith Street Band, Arrows) at Three Phase Studios, Melbourne, and mastered by Bill Henderson (Title Fight, Daylight) at Azimuth Mastering, New Jersey.

Indie dance trio Rüfüs debuted at #1 on the ARIA album charts this week with their new record Atlas, narrowly beating out Dead Letter CircusThe Catalyst Fire at #2. Elsewhere, Cloud Control’s Dream Cave debuted at #9 and Asking Alexandria’s latest From Death To Destiny landed at #11.

Eskimo Joe will release their sixth album Wastelands on September 20. The album was successfully and somewhat controversially crowdfunded earlier in the year.

Listen to Jen Buxton’s new track Einmal Ist Keinmal here. The song is taken from the upcoming split 7” between Buxton and Lincoln Le Fevre and is due for release September 20 through Poison City Records.

Tonight Alive have released the video for their new single Lonely Girl which you can check out here. The band’s new album The Other Side is slated for a September 10 release.

Sydney / Wollongong quartet Harbourer are currently working on a new release at Sydney’s The Brain Studios. More information as it comes.

Now in its sixth year, the 2013 edition of Blood Rock Fest will be held at Perth’s Rosemount Hotel on November 9. The bill is headed up by Israel’s Useless ID and annual fest curators Chainsaw Hookers and rounded out by a host of punk, rock and hardcore bands from around the country including The Decline, Monuments, The Hard Aches, Clowns, Declaration, Vomit Bullets and Firearms with more to be announced. Tickets are on sale now.

Newsted is the latest band to announce that they’ll be playing next year’s edition of Soundwave after Jason Newsted himself spilled the beans in an interview. Furthermore Soundwave Touring head AJ Maddah appears to be gearing up for the first announcement of acts very soon.

Sydney’s Masketta Fall have been announced as opening support for the upcoming Anberlin / The Maine / William Beckett national tour. Tickets are still available for all shows.

Melbourne’s Trainwreck have released a new video for the track Stubborn Heart which you can watch here. The song comes from the band’s debut album Fresh Air / Dead Lungs which saw a release last week through Broken Hive.

Perth’s Flowermouth will release their debut EP Nostalgia on August 19 through Hindsight Records. The effort was recorded by Ron Pollard (The Others, Eleventh He Reaches London) at Sleepwalker Studios, Mandurah, and mastered by Bill Henderson (Title Fight, Daylight) at Azimuth Mastering, New Jersey. The 6-track EP comes hot on the heels of the band’s recent cassette split with Byron Bay’s Postblue. The band have also announced a run of dates in support of the release which you can find below.

Newcastle hardcore institution Found My Direction have announced they are to reunite to pay tribute to their 1998 debut 7” Before Their Time at an upcoming show. The event is slated for Newcastle’s Cambridge Hotel on November 2 with support from Hazards, Civil War, Mood Swing and Deadtown Nothings with more to be announced.

Sydney pop-punkers The Reprize have released a new track entitled This Should Be A Graveyard which you can check out here. The song is taken from the band’s upcoming EP Taking Chances which is due for release September 6.

The Gold Coast’s Lyon Apprentice have released their first single Beautiful Thought. The song comes from the duo’s upcoming debut EP Be Honest, Be Wild, Be Free. Check out the video here.

Brisbane’s Deer Lord (Marathon, ex-Fires Of Waco) have announced their debut EP entitled Foodcourt. The 5-track effort is yet to have an official release date but one is expected soon. Check out the cover art here.

Perth’s Scott Kay (Statues, Absent Hearts) will release an EP of ambient post-rock entitled You Are Alive on August 20. You can take a listen to the title track here.

Tickets for the upcoming Lamb Of God / Meshuggah shows in Brisbane and Sydney have sold out. Tickets are still available for the Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth dates.

Phoenix frontman Thomas Mars has confirmed that the band will return to Australian shores in March 2014. Official tour dates are expected soon.

TOUR ANNOUNCEMENTS

AUSTRALIAN ARTISTS

Flowermouth’s shows around the release of their new EP Nostalgia shape up as follows.

24/08 - Stream Studios, Perth [AA] w/ Black Birds, Mindless, Chilling Winston, Heath Legend
29/08 - Bendigo Hotel, Melbourne [18+] w/ Apart From This, Damn Hearts, Tigers
31/08 - Fat Louie’s, Brisbane [18+] w/ Postblue, Milestones, Blind Girls
01/09 - House Show, Brisbane [AA] w/ Postblue, Milestones, Blind Girls
04/09 - Small Ballroom, Newcastle [18+] w/ Postblue, Downside, Distance, Setbacks
05/09 - The Square, Sydney [18+] w/ Postblue, Legions, Bad Deeds
11/09 - Pica Bar, Perth [18+] w/ Joyce Manor (USA), Grim Fandango

Brisbane’s Greenthief have announced a four date run of shows in support of their new single Rainbow. You can check out the video for the track here, which features footage of the band’s recent European tour.

06/09 - Crown And Anchor, Adelaide [18+]
07/09 - Espy Front Bar, Melbourne [18+]
20/09 - Spectrum, Sydney [18+]
27/09 - Tempo Hotel, Brisbane [18+]

Hoodlum Shouts are teaming up for some regional New South Wales dates with Life & Limb before they knuckle down to record a new album.

26/09 - Pastoral Hotel, Dubbo [18+]
27/09 - Empire Hotel, Cobar [18+]
28/09 - Palace Hotel, Broken Hill [18+]
29/09 - Patton Park, Broken Hill [18+]
03/10 - Holland Pool, West Wyalong [18+]
04/10 - Southern Cross Cinema, Young [18+]

Dates for Paul Dempsey’s Shotgun Karaoke Tour shape up as follows with support on all shows from Melbourne’s Olympia. Tickets are on sale now.

05/10 - The Zoo, Brisbane [18+]
09/10 - Lizotte’s, Dee Why [18+]
10/10 - Lizotte’s, Kincumber [18+]
11/10 - Lizotte’s, Newcastle [18+]
12/10 - Factory Theatre, Sydney [18+]
19/10 - Fowler’s Live, Adelaide [18+]
20/10 - Fly By Night, Fremantle [18+]
25/10 - The Hi-Fi, Melbourne [18+]

Sydney punk outfit Nancy Vandal are celebrating their 20th anniversary as a band this year and have announced some east coast tour dates for October and November. The dates coincide with the release of the band’s successfully crowd funded new album Flogging A Dead Phoenix which is due for release September 2 through Erotic Volcano Records.

18/10 - Cambridge Hotel, Newcastle [18+]
19/10 - Dicey Riley’s, Wollongong [18+]
02/11 - Reverence Hotel, Melbourne [18+]
08/11 - The Zoo, Brisbane [18+]
09/11 - Miami Tavern, Gold Coast [18+]
16/11 - Metro Lair, Sydney [18+]

Dream On Dreamer have announced a national tour in support of their recently released second album Loveless. The shows will see the band joined on all shows by A Skylit Drive and No Bragging Rights from the US and local newcomers Hellions. General tickets go on sale August 22.

31/10 - Tempo Hotel, Brisbane [18+]
01/11 - Expressive Grounds, Gold Coast [AA]
02/11 - Annandale Hotel, Sydney [AA - Afternoon]
02/11 - Annandale Hotel, Sydney [18+ - Evening]
03/11 - Racket Club, Newcastle [LIC/AA]
06/11 - The Basement, Canberra [18+]
07/11 - The Hi-Fi, Melbourne [18+]
08/11 - Arrow On Swanston, Melbourne [AA]
09/11 - Uni Bar, Adelaide [LIC/AA]
10/11 - Amplifier Bar, Perth [18+]*
11/11 - YMCA HQ, Perth [AA]*
*No Bragging Rights and Hellions not appearing.

INTERNATIONAL ARTISTS

Lydia have tacked on a run of headline dates for after they wrap up their current national tour in support of Cartel.

22/08 - Snitch, Brisbane [18+]
23/08 - Black Market, Adelaide [18+]
24/08 - Bang, Melbourne [18+]
25/08 - Spectrum, Sydney [18+]

Israeli punkers Useless ID will return to Australia in November in support of their most recent album Symptoms. They’ll be joined on all shows by Perth’s The Decline. Tickets are on sale now.

08/11 - Prince Of Wales, Bunbury [18+]
09/11 - Rosemount Hotel, Perth [18+]
10/11 - Crown And Anchor, Adelaide [18+]
12/11 - Workers Club, Melbourne [18+]
13/11 - Great Northern, Newcastle [18+]
14/11 - Hot Damn, Sydney [18+]
15/11 - Crowbar, Brisbane [18+]

The massive lineup has been announced for this year’s Meredith Music Festival, which consists of: Chic feat. Nile Rodgers, Brian Jonestown Massacre, Deerhunter, Melvins, Spiderbait, Clairy Brown & The Bangin’ Rackettes, Beasts Of Bourbon, Derrick May, Mac Demarco, Vance Joy, The Bamboos, Joey Bada$$, Dick Diver, Hermitude, Helmet, John Hopkins, Silence Wedge, Tim Sweeney, Le1f, World’s End Press, Oliver Tank, Beaches, Roland Tings, Stonefield, the City Of Ballarat Municipal Brass Band, Courtney Barnett, The Smith Street Band, The UV Race, Master Song Tai Chi, Andee Frost, Baptism Of Uzi, Davidson Brothers, Warped, The Town Bikes and Tranter. Meredith23 will take place over three days from December 13-15 at the Meredith Supernatural Amphitheatre, Victoria. Camping ballots are open now and for all information visit the official website here.

This year’s edition of The Falls Music & Arts Festival has also been announced with the lineup thus far consisting of (in alphabetical order): !!! (Chk Chk Chk), Asta, Big Scary, Bombino Bonobo, The Cat Empire, Chet Faker, Crystal Fighters, Cyril Hahn, Flight Facilities, Gossling, Grizzly Bear, Hanni El Khatib, Hermitude, James Vincent McMorrow, London Grammar, MGMT, Neil Finn, Pond, The Preatures, The Roots, Rufus, Solange, Tom Odell, Vampire Weekend, Violent Femmes, White Denim and The Wombats with more local acts to be announced. The festival will take place in three locations this year with ballots available for camping spots. For all the information check out the official site here.

29/12-01/01 - Marion Bay, TAS
28/12-01/01 - Lorne, VIC
31/12-03/01 - Byron Bay, NSW

Bruce Springsteen and the E-Street Band will be returning to Australia in February 2014, just under a year after their last visit in support of Wrecking Ball. Tickets are on sale August 26.

07/02 - Perth Arena, Perth [18+]
11/02 - Entertainment Centre, Adelaide [18+]
15/02 - AAMI Park, Melbourne [18+]
19/02 - Allphones Arena, Sydney [18+]
22/02 - Hope Estate Winery, Hunter Valley [18+]
26/02 - Entertainment Centre, Brisbane [18+]

CLIP OF THE WEEK

Sydney blues-rockers Gay Paris dropped a video this week for the track Trash Bird At Confessional. The song comes from the band’s recently released second album The Last Good Party, which was successfully crowdfunded earlier in the year. You can pick up a copy here.

Contributors: Benny Nova and Geology Rocks!
06:34 PM on 08/18/13
CheckeredFloors
nah
User Info.
BRUCE
08:07 PM on 08/18/13
AussieBoy
User Info.
Not that Brucey is really on the u18s radar of acts to see. But why are all those big venues doing 18+
Shocked hes back less than a year after last shows

What are Eskimo joe crowd funding for?
Scabs
08:56 PM on 08/18/13
thelimbeckband
User Info.
Harbourer - what a band.
05:36 AM on 08/19/13
Geology Rocks!
Why are you so afraid?
User Info.
What are Eskimo joe crowd funding for?
Scabs

You could say that about a lot of bands that crowd fund these days.

But if you really need to know, after the band released Ghosts of the Past, on a major label, it really didn't get promoted as much as they wanted (a major label to promote it) and so they left the label. They weren't happy and almost broke up as a result. (They're sounding like spoilt twats at this stage, but stay with me here) and so they took a break, hence why the fell sorely off the radar for a while. When they returned to being a band again, they wanted to record another album but they wanted to do it for the fans, and they felt like paying for it out of their own pockets would not achieve that "do it for the fans" attitude, it would be more "our money, our way" rather than "their money, let's do something they'll like" - and at listening parties for the new album, apparently this album is the most upbeat album they've released in yonks, and you can dance to every song pretty much.

I can't say that's the best reason to crowd fund something, but you know, you did ask.
01:59 PM on 08/19/13
AussieBoy
User Info.
Well you have convinced me a bit more that its not as scabby as I originally thought.
And I know bands always make less money than people always assume (and ghosts of the past was a stinker and prob did bomb out and the label didnt help)
But I'm sure a band with multiple arias and songs on tv shows could go with out asking th fans to fork out for it

Unless the fans are getting a good deal here (such as $15-20 gets you the cd on release or deluxe versions for a bit more)
Just a little disturbed (and I'm only speculating) by it from a band where one of the members had a widely publicised cocaine problem.

Anyway the 2 CDs from 2002-2006ish are some of my fave ever and have had a ball at some of their festival shows and hope its a return to form from the Joes!!!

Thanks for explaining why.

I think phil Jamieson might have ripped into them on twitter. I got a feeling a friend said he saw if
05:57 PM on 08/19/13
Geology Rocks!
Why are you so afraid?
User Info.
Well you have convinced me a bit more that its not as scabby as I originally thought.
And I know bands always make less money than people always assume (and ghosts of the past was a stinker and prob did bomb out and the label didnt help)
But I'm sure a band with multiple arias and songs on tv shows could go with out asking th fans to fork out for it

Unless the fans are getting a good deal here (such as $15-20 gets you the cd on release or deluxe versions for a bit more)
Just a little disturbed (and I'm only speculating) by it from a band where one of the members had a widely publicised cocaine problem.

Anyway the 2 CDs from 2002-2006ish are some of my fave ever and have had a ball at some of their festival shows and hope its a return to form from the Joes!!!

Thanks for explaining why.

I think phil Jamieson might have ripped into them on twitter. I got a feeling a friend said he saw if
The deals were actually pretty good. The page is still up - Some things you can argue are a tad pricey, but the $25 perk was the most worth it, in my opinion. (It's the one I got)

and If he did, Phil Jamieson has no right to rip into anyone, his band will probably end up doing it eventually. They aren't exactly the most successful band going around at the moment. Did you see the promotion Grinspoon's new album got? The lead single didn't even get streaming on YouTube, if you missed the Triple J premiere, you had to wait until the album was released, and I think when the album was released their was a small ad on the JB Hi Fi website, and a small tour which the band had to promote themselves, and aren't they on Universal? I mean, I'd understand if they were on a indie Australian label, but a major label should've done something, you know?
06:27 PM on 08/19/13
AussieBoy
User Info.
The deals were actually pretty good. The page is still up - Some things you can argue are a tad pricey, but the $25 perk was the most worth it, in my opinion. (It's the one I got)

and If he did, Phil Jamieson has no right to rip into anyone, his band will probably end up doing it eventually. They aren't exactly the most successful band going around at the moment. Did you see the promotion Grinspoon's new album got? The lead single didn't even get streaming on YouTube, if you missed the Triple J premiere, you had to wait until the album was released, and I think when the album was released their was a small ad on the JB Hi Fi website, and a small tour which the band had to promote themselves, and aren't they on Universal? I mean, I'd understand if they were on a indie Australian label, but a major label should've done something, you know?

Yeah $25 physical is what I'd get and still may

Actually most a pretty good
I'll formally apologise to the joes for calling them scabs!
I've seen to many crappy kickstarters that just want money with no or shitty rewards ($100s for a phone call)
Jonny Craig has been a bum doing those type
07:19 PM on 08/19/13
Geology Rocks!
Why are you so afraid?
User Info.
Yeah $25 physical is what I'd get and still may

Actually most a pretty good
I'll formally apologise to the joes for calling them scabs!
I've seen to many crappy kickstarters that just want money with no or shitty rewards ($100s for a phone call)
Jonny Craig has been a bum doing those type
- Eskimo Joe premiered a new song yesterday
09:52 PM on 09/04/13
AussieBoy
User Info.
- Eskimo Joe premiered a new song yesterday
Heard it on the radio just then

It's. different.

I'll see how I go after a few listens
Not sure if I could dance to it

Or at least not sexily
Options