|The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:|
Glimmermen (questions answered by singer/guitarist Gavin Cowley)
1. How did you get your band name?
The glimmer men were the names of the inspectors who were employed by the Gas Company in Dublin to detect the use of gas during restricted periods during the Emergency from March 1942. The name came from poster advertisements asking the public “not to waste gas ...not even a glimmer”. But really we liked the idea of a light on the glimmer something that hasn't extinguished but continues to burn.
2. How did this band get started?
We knew each other from past bands and mutual friends, from playing at the same sorts of venues and club nights. There was a gigs place called the Ballroom of Romance that Phil was involved in and Gav would have played there from time to time with Boxes. Gav knew J. Bassetti from Greyslate records and his various recording projects with independent bands over the years and luckily we met and we started to play together.
3. What bands are you influenced by?
Jackbeast, Boxes, Holy Ghost Fathers, Jawbox, Burning Airlines
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
Thin Lizzy, why not?
5. Best food to eat on tour?
Anything you can afford after you've bought your gas/petrol.
6. Why should people listen to your band?
Because we're the best band in the entire fucking world ;)
7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?
Tiger Woods or Lance Armstrong; sex and drugs and rock n roll ;)
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
If I won a grammy I'd thank my mammy.
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
I'd make it make it so it was mainly all about our band. But seriously I think the new 'opportunity' culture the industry has is a bit frustrating - all the digital platforms one has to keep their band on would drive you to drink.
10. Memorable tour experience?
Playing at a house party in West Co. Cork, Ireland, while the sun went down over a rolling valley. Or playing to anarchists in a makeshift gallery in Lille, France.
11. What does AP.net mean to you?
12. What is your favorite song to play?
Our song 'Peace at last' because it touches my inner teenager in me and really rocks out towards the end.
13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Connemara, Co Galway, Ireland.
14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Jazz and rock n roll
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
The ability to explode and then reform.
16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
Everything must be out of my pockets..keys..money..bits of paper... etc.
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
I enjoy mowing the lawn.
18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?
Maybe, but you need to be on a playlist regularly to get noticed.
19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
I enjoy mowing the lawn and answering questionnaires.
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I don't think very much of anything is hidden anymore..but maybe I'll tell you sometime