AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

08:19 PM on 08/21/13 
User Info.
Steeeve Perry
Pushin' th' little daisies
Male - 24 Years Old
I can hear the collective groans but I just wonder, what score would Pitchfork award The Greatest Generation? I always assumed it would be very low, since the site has never liked music from this 'scene'. But then I read this:
http://www.grantland.com/blog/hollyw...ords-of-summer

It is written by Pitchfork editor (one of) Ian Cohen. This guy is the biggest name at Pitchfork in my opinion, and has great taste in music.
For those who can't be bothered reading the whole thing: "Wonder Yearsí The Greatest Generation is almost certainly the best straight-up pop-punk album in years. At the very least, itís the best straight-up pop-punk album since the last Wonder Years record." He then compares it favourably with Vampire Weekend's latest record, which P4k awarded a 9.3.

I have really drifted from pop-punk in the past few years in favour of "more mature" music, but I can't help but love TWY. I was glad to know Cohen felt quite similar because he's a very respected critic.

So, if P4k printed a review by Cohen of the record, could it do the unthinkable and earn a Best New Music? Or at least do a '59 Sound and earn a score in the mid-8s?

PS, this isn't in the TWY official thread because a) my search wouldn't work and b) I didn't just want TWY fanboys saying it should get a 10.0 and fuck Pitchfork.
09:24 PM on 08/21/13 
User Info.
anciar
No Avatar Selected
USA
Male - 25 Years Old
who gives a fuck?
10:15 PM on 08/21/13 
User Info.
eriatarka24
PS, this isn't in the TWY official thread because a) my search wouldn't work and b) I didn't just want TWY fanboys saying it should get a 10.0 and fuck Pitchfork.

Search isn't working at all. It's been like this for over a week now.
10:27 PM on 08/21/13 
User Info.
JellyBelly91
I really want to like The Wonder Years because they are talented and hard-working. But most of their diehard fans really manage to piss me off more than enough to deter me from supporting the band in any way apart from purchasing their music.

I digress. Pitchfork is just like any other site that writes for a particular audience and thus reviews music that has certain characteristics that would appeal to said audience. The real question is whether The Wonder Years write music that contains qualities that transcend this "scene" that you're talking about.

tl;dr - Personally, I think it is unlikely that Pitchfork would review a record by a pop punk band that isn't doing anything particularly progressive, much less review it positively. The fact that they are maintaining a high standard of quality does not factor into the equation.
11:49 PM on 08/21/13 
User Info.
Steeeve Perry
Male - 24 Years Old
I really want to like The Wonder Years because they are talented and hard-working. But most of their diehard fans really manage to piss me off more than enough to deter me from supporting the band in any way apart from purchasing their music.

I digress. Pitchfork is just like any other site that writes for a particular audience and thus reviews music that has certain characteristics that would appeal to said audience. The real question is whether The Wonder Years write music that contains qualities that transcend this "scene" that you're talking about.

tl;dr - Personally, I think it is unlikely that Pitchfork would review a record by a pop punk band that isn't doing anything particularly progressive, much less review it positively. The fact that they are maintaining a high standard of quality does not factor into the equation.
I pretty much agree they wouldn't review them, but I thought it was interesting one of the p4k head honchos is a big fan -- and he obviously is, he wrote a LOT about them. If he was to review it outside of p4k I think he'd give it a great score.
When p4k reviewed the 59 Sound (with an 8.6 score) it was very uncharacteristic for them. Interesting note: many people say it was some nobody who reviewed it but it was Tom Breihan who reviewed lots for p4k. Although p4k has since grown cold on Gaslight, giving Handwritten a 5.something, Breihan is still a big fan. He wrote a very positive review for Handwritten on Stereogum.
11:03 AM on 08/22/13 
User Info.
JellyBelly91
I pretty much agree they wouldn't review them, but I thought it was interesting one of the p4k head honchos is a big fan -- and he obviously is, he wrote a LOT about them. If he was to review it outside of p4k I think he'd give it a great score.
When p4k reviewed the 59 Sound (with an 8.6 score) it was very uncharacteristic for them. Interesting note: many people say it was some nobody who reviewed it but it was Tom Breihan who reviewed lots for p4k. Although p4k has since grown cold on Gaslight, giving Handwritten a 5.something, Breihan is still a big fan. He wrote a very positive review for Handwritten on Stereogum.

I think that the initial interest for Pitchfork to publish the review might have been the easy comparisons between Gaslight and Springsteen and other artists that are held in high regard by Pitchfork. Can a similar comparison be drawn between The Wonder Years and another artist of the sort?
02:58 PM on 08/22/13 
User Info.
Sean Rizzo
Can you see evidence of perfection?
Male - 23 Years Old
Staff Member
Pitchfork would almost definitely give it a score it deserves.
05:34 PM on 08/22/13 
User Info.
Steeeve Perry
Male - 24 Years Old
I think that the initial interest for Pitchfork to publish the review might have been the easy comparisons between Gaslight and Springsteen and other artists that are held in high regard by Pitchfork. Can a similar comparison be drawn between The Wonder Years and another artist of the sort?
Yeah not really. Honestly, the title was supopsed to say if Pitchfork 'reviewed' The Wonder Years. I'm aware they won't, especially at this point. The closest to a pop punk band like TWY that Pitchfork reviews would probably be Green Day. Still not sure why they review Green Day, really. But they review Foo Fighters too, plus quite a bit of mainstream pop.
05:37 PM on 08/22/13 
User Info.
Steeeve Perry
Male - 24 Years Old
Pitchfork would almost definitely give it a score it deserves.
Not sure if this means you think it would be low or high haha.
05:56 PM on 08/22/13 
User Info.
BlinkAvAfan21
She calls it a mayonegg.
Male - 23 Years Old
Weird that he choose to post "We Could Die Like This", seemed to me like the only bad song on that album.
06:18 PM on 08/22/13 
User Info.
Sean Rizzo
Can you see evidence of perfection?
Male - 23 Years Old
Staff Member
Not sure if this means you think it would be low or high haha.
Oh, definitely low.
08:08 PM on 08/22/13 
User Info.
Steeeve Perry
Male - 24 Years Old
I figured that's what you meant, and that's cool. I always figured if they were to review something like TWY it would be a negative "this is not what the 80s DIY punk revolution was meant to spawn" review.
That's why I found it really interesting that one of the main p4k reviewers was so high on the record. Just thought it was interesting and worth sharing is all.
08:09 PM on 08/22/13 
User Info.
Steeeve Perry
Male - 24 Years Old
Weird that he choose to post "We Could Die Like This", seemed to me like the only bad song on that album.
It's the most straightforward song on the album probably, but it's catchy enough. I though everyone mainly had a problem with Madelyn.
09:02 PM on 08/22/13 
User Info.
Zac Djamoos
fantasizing the sight of manhattan
NJ
Male - 16 Years Old
Staff Member
It's the most straightforward song on the album probably, but it's catchy enough. I though everyone mainly had a problem with Madelyn.

I love Madelyn, but that and An American Religion are the two least favorites.
11:29 PM on 08/22/13 
User Info.
sammyboy516
Male - 23 Years Old

Just curious - why don't you like it?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT