AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

AP.net Related News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Essentials: Reading And Leeds Festival

Posted by - 11:14 PM on 08/22/13
This year's Reading and Leeds-goers are currently being bombarded with a raft of bands to check out this weekend. We know you're a smart bunch, so our recommended bands' combined stagetime adds up to exactly five hours. Fill a nice chunk of your weekend with these guys, then the rest is up to you...

Displaying posts 1 - 5 of 5
11:16 PM on 08/22/13
Andy Biddulph
Staff Writer @asbiddulph
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Essentials: Reading and LeedsFoals
The problem with a lot of music festivals now is that it can be an over saturated market in the UK and we can see the same "headliners" switch around every few years at every other festival. Earlier this year, however, Foals had their first main stage headline festival slot at Latitude and if anybody wasn't a fan or was on the fence before this show (as I was) then they walked away firm believers. Atmospheric, intense, loud, full of riffs and rockin'...whilst this isn't a headline show at Reading...it needs to be seen. (KH)
Get ready with: "Providence"

Decade
It's Saturday morning at Reading; Sunday morning at Leeds. You look tired. Know what you need? A slice of great, British pop-punk. Decade ought to do the trick. Angular, catchy as anything and on at 11:55, they’re sure to blow the cobwebs out of even the grisliest hangover. (AB)
Get ready with: "Brainfreeze"

Mount Kimbie
Earlier this year the British duo released the superb Cold Spring Fault Less Youth album and with its dream-like flicks, subtle synths, deep drums and electronic touches throughout, it makes for a stunning listen. Whether you want to experience a more chilled out show at Reading/Leeds or have a dance, the Mount Kimbie show will have it all. And if nothing else, the change-up in the track below at 2:35 will leave you in pure ecstasy. (KH)
Get ready with: "Break Well"

RX Bandits
RX Bandits are back. Kinda. The tour that marks the tenth anniversary of The Resignation hits UK shores this weekend. Expect Embree, Choi, Troy and Tsagakis to put on the show we’ve been hankering for since their 2011 hiatus. Real grab-them-whilst-they’re-still-here-this-might-really-be-it-you-guys stuff. (AB)
Get ready with: "And The Battle Begun"

The 1975
I wrote about this band in the Glastonbury Festival preview with little personal positivity towards them being included, but so many people seemed excited by them I thought it would be remiss to not include them then. Now, I've had the album for almost a couple of months and all of the EPs and I've fallen in love with the band. Whether the set relies on their more atmospheric EP tracks or the John Hughes movie soundtrack sounding album material, it will be a truly fantastic show and certainly one of the last we'll see them so low down on a bill. (KH)
Get ready with: "Sex" (NSFW)

Lonely The Brave
Scepticism is only natural when a band bursts out of nowhere to huge critical acclaim, but in the case of Lonely The Brave, it’s entirely justified. Bombastic, stadium-ready rock will be the order of the day on the BBC Introducing Stage this weekend. Catch them before they hit the sky. (AB)
Get ready with: "Deserter"

Lucy Rose
One of the most fragile-yet-beautiful-and-strong-sounding female singer/songwriters playing music at the moment and seemingly one of the hardest working too. Never not on tour, Lucy Rose, has been gathering droves of new fans around the world whilst she has been supporting her solo material and stunning debut album Like I Used To. If you're a fan of Laura Marling with a larger sense of abandon and youthful joviality to the gigs and music, then make sure you don't miss out. (KH)
Get ready with: "Bikes"

05:46 AM on 08/23/13
jakeisthebest
I'm just a fucked up kid
User Info.
Someone give me a ticket please, I can't believe I'm missing this incredible line up. I must be the only person that goes to Reading Uni who's not going...
08:56 AM on 08/23/13
Holly HoX!
User Info.
If you're going, do yourself a favor and see Californiax
09:45 AM on 08/23/13
Jerold Sunga
User Info.
What about Alt-J guys?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives