AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Nada Surf - The Weight is a Gift Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9
Musicianship 8.75
Lyrics 8
Production 8
Creativity 8.75
Lasting Value 9.5
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 87%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8.88
Lyrics 8.13
Production 9.13
Creativity 8.88
Lasting Value 9.25
Reviewer Tilt 9.38
Average: 89%
Inside AP.net

Nada Surf - The Weight is a Gift

Reviewed by: alice+interiors (06/12/08)
Nada Surf - The Weight is a Gift
Record Label: Barsuk Records
Release Date: September 20, 2005

Nada Surf are an excellent indie-rock outfit whose talent is often overlooked, which may well be due to them sharing a record label with a certain band called Death Cab for Cutie. Their music is raw and passionate and isn't painstakingly glossed over with special effects, unlike many other bands on the scene right now. They keep their winning style present throughout all of their releases, but for me personally, 2005's The Weight is a Gift is the epitome of their five-album career, which is the main reason I chose to review it.

The album begins with the short, upbeat "Concrete Bed," which consists of a steady drum-beat and a variety of vocal notes. This leads on to "Do it Again," which sees lead singer Matthew Caws wailing and moaning his way through, although this doesn't necessarily seem to ruin the song.

However, the two opening tracks pale in comparison to the third song, "Always Love." Perhaps the best song on The Weight is a Gift, the song has a positive message a year or two ahead of its time, before being happy and in love became 'cool,' and vocals and music which compliment and intertwine between each other excellently. Furthermore, in the verse and bridge, striking similarities jump out at the listener, with Green Day's Billie Joe Armstrong.

"What is Your Secret" and "All is a Game" are two more indie, relaxed songs, not particularly standing out and yet they still feel key to the album, as does every other track. "Your Legs Grow" is a bit different, sounding like a ballad; a much sadder, more reflective song which sees Nada Surf add another string to their ever-varying bow. "Blankest Year" is definitely the most carefree song on the album, and is also one of my favorites. The main line, "Fuck it, I'm gonna have a party" sums up the mood of this effort, completely. "Comes a Time" is another slowed-down song, which isn't too different from the beautiful "Paper Boats," on their 2003 album Let Go. Another strong track is the closer, "Imaginary Friends," which does its job perfectly in rounding off a superb album, with fitting lyrics and an even more fitting musical effort.

Nada Surf didn't just stop releasing solid albums here, either. 2008's Lucky is one I'd recommend to everyone and I largely hope Nada Surf get more recognition for their achievements before they end their career.

Recommended if You LikeAthlete, autumn, raw indie rock with few special effects

myspace.com/nadasurf

Displaying posts 1 - 5 of 5
06:40 PM on 06/13/08
CellarGhosts
cellarghosts.tumblr.com
User Info.
album =

review =

keep at it, d00d.
07:41 PM on 06/13/08
cereal4life
User Info.
Who is this "Death Cab For Cutie" that you speak of? Haha I really enjoy Let Go and Lucky so I'll definitely have to pick this bad boy up. Sweet review!
07:54 PM on 06/13/08
CellarGhosts
cellarghosts.tumblr.com
User Info.
Dude, Death Cab For Cutie are this insane grind-core/polka band that nobody knows about. Shhh. Don't tell.
06:28 PM on 06/14/08
lushintransit
Dragons!
User Info.
This album still has some hella stellar songs.

Then again, I may just <3 Nada Surf too much.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums