AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: Southern Train Gypsy - 08.16.13

Southern Train Gypsy - 08.16.13

Interviewed by
Southern Train Gypsy - 08.16.13The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Southern Train Gypsy (answered by Duane Smith)
http://www.southerntraingypsy.com/
http://www.facebook.com/southerntraingypsy
http://www.twitter.com/southerntrain
http://www.youtube.com/thesoutherntrain
http://instagram.com/southerntrain

1. How did you get your band name?
Well, I was drunk in a country bar here in Fort Worth, TX, went to take a piss, and noticed two band names written on the wall. "The Southern Band" and "The Gypsy Train Band", or something like that. I thought that it would be kickass if they combined bands and created The Southern Train Gypsy Band. Then we became that band.

2. How did this band get started?
We all played together over the years in different bands (Travail, Logic 34, Tomorrow's Rescue). After some time, we all decided to hang up the tour pants and give normal life a shot. A few of us got a house and moved in together during that time and always kept our gear around the house, mostly to jam in the wee hours of the night totally loaded up on alcohol. Some time past and we decided, why not get the band back together and make some "real" noise? After a few phone calls and hang sessions, we were back at it.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
I'd say overall we enjoy bands like Pantera, Clutch, ZZ Top, Deftones, Injected, Led Zeppelin, Thin Lizzy - shit like that. We are all over the place with musical preferences. Early on we were all into the heavy/hardcore music. There was a great scene for that here in Fort Worth early on. Saw bands like As I Lay Dying, Living Sacrifice, Norma Jean, ZAO, in small, tiny venues. Was always awesome energy.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
Past - Pantera, Thin Lizzy, Jimi Hendrix. Why? Those guys are legendary! I'm pretty sure all could throw a kick ass party and teach us a thing or two about shredding. Present - Clutch, Deftones, letlive, The Sword. Why? Again, total party time and a great soundtrack day in and day out.

5. Best food to eat on tour?
Really anything when you are truly road-doggin' it. Funds can get low and you will take just about anything! But I remember a place called Elmer's BBQ in Tulsa, OK that was pretty amazing. And anytime you can get a home cooked meal, it's like paradise.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
Well I think we are pretty kickass and try to bring something a little different to the plate. Got the heavy with a little mix of southern roots. Plus if you listen to it at the right volume, you can truly taste BBQ sauce. It's delicious.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?
Any high-paid pitcher in baseball. They usually look like they drink beer all day, fish a lot, and get paid a shit load of money to maintain that physique. That's the life right there. Or Tom Brady - no need to explain why.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
Elvis, Chewbacca, Sly Stallone, and of course our Lord and Savior. And our parents, I guess.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
I wish physical albums were more relevant these days. I've always enjoyed the physical purchase and still do today. I know it's not as convenient and a lot easier to cram 1 billion songs onto a 32gb device, but to me it's an awesome feeling to hold and see all the work that goes into an actual album. Plus I love checking out the artwork and the credits and shit like that - seems more gratifying to hold a copy of an album.

10. Memorable tour experience?
Man, we had a few but really getting to hang with your friends and see the country is pretty sweet. But one that stands out was a killer after party - pool party in Georgia. I just swam around this pool with a cooler full of beer strapped to my arms. That was refreshing and magnificent all at the same time! And once we met the horse from Dances with Wolves in one of the Dakotas. That was pretty cool.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
Very community focused it seems. It's great to have an outlet to keep fans engaged and up to date in the music world.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
I'd say "The Healing," from our latest album, The Bastard. It has a more upbeat, heavy rock n roll vibe and just totally kicks ass. It will put a little bounce in your step. Check out the video for it on YouTube.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
My wife and I have been to Puerto Rico a few times and its amazing there. Great beaches and good drinks. Looking forward to a trip across the pond though. Seems to be good times over there.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
My dad is a HUGE Elvis fan, Elvis and George Strait. So anything Elvis and old school country reminds me of home. And that song "Hey Mickey" by Toni Basil. I have two older sisters and they would play the hell out of that song.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
Fly. We have horrible traffic here in Dallas/Fort Worth area - tends to cause road rage. If I could lift off, no worries man!

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
Not really. Usually just grab a few picks and a couple of Shiner beers and we are good to go.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
I'm a huge Steelers fan. I'm in Cowboys country so I know that is almost against the law, but I am. Deal with it, Dallas.

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?
I wouldn't say flourish, but could definitely turn a few heads. I'd like to see the reaction of soccers moms though when we come on during school pick up duty.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
I'm into graphic design, so always enjoy creating posters or other promo stuff for bands in the area. A solid night out is us dudes drinking some beer, hitting up a bowling alley, and just having a great time with our significant others.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
If we tell you, they will not be hidden...

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version