AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview
Hint: Have a band you'd like to see interviewed? Tell us.

we.own.the.sky. - 08.16.13.

Interviewed by: Zac Djamoos (08/27/13)
The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

we.own.the.sky.
http://www.facebook.com/weowntheskygr
http://weownthesky.bandcamp.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/weowntheskygr/videos
http://weowntheskygr.blogspot.com/

1. How did you get your band name?
Oddly enough, our name did not come from the eponymous M83 song. It's actually from a random bumper sticker we found on a fire faucet in the streets of Athens. We just saw it and decided we want to name our band after it.

2. How did this band get started?
we.own.the.sky started back in 2010, when some of us got together, wanting to create instrumental rock music with a heavy pinch. After some line-up changes, we took our current form in mid-2012 and recorded our debut EP.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
Given that our individual influences span from post rock to metal and from jazz to hip-hop, it's hard to say what collectively drives us to create this kind of music. Based on what we actually sound like, I'd say bands like Caspian, If These Trees Could Talk, God Is An Astronaut and Russian Circles have to be among our main influences. Anything with heavy doses of delay and distortion, really.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
Bands like God Is Astronaut, Russian Circles, Caspian and sleepmakeswaves would have to be on the top of that list - those dudes are the current leaders of the instrumental rock terrain and it'd be an honor to share a stage with them. Of course, there are plenty local bands we'd also be absolutely thrilled to tour with, such as One Leg Mary and Afformance.

5. Best food to eat on tour?
We haven't had the chance to tour yet. But pizza is an all-around favorite for all occasions.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
While trying hard to avoid any cliches in answering this question, I'd say people should check us out mainly because we are five dudes very passionate in what we do. Tremendous effort is put into the instrumentation and structuring of every piece of music we write and we always try to push ourselves into creating our own personal sound. Other than that, if you like your post-rock in the heavy side of things, we've got just the thing for you!

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?
I (Ilias, guitar) am certainly not the one to be answering this question - I've never been that into sports. So I'll just stick with being a musician, I guess.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
In the off chance of that happening, I'd have to thank my bandmates and my friends and family. Damn, I couldn't think of anything funnier to say here.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
I'd have to say the way people over-consume music in general. It seems like we've pretty much lost the meaning of sitting down and properly listening to a record, what with the Internet and the vast amount of illegal downloading taking place on a daily basis. Maybe we all should start paying more attention to bands we truly like and start supporting them in any way possible, rather than viewing them as gigabytes on a hard drive. That said, we as a band are in no way against spreading word of our music in any way. It's just that people these days tend to take art (in any form) for granted, sometimes ignorant to how much effort and money is put into making records.

10. Memorable tour experience?
Sharing a stage with Tides From Nebula and Long Distance Calling are two of the most memorable experiences we've had so far. We learned a lot from these guys and they've helped us become more professional in their way. Also, our EP release party was another memorable night.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
AP.net is a wonderful platform for discovering new music and exchanging views with people all over the globe. It also offers a great deal of exposure for small bands like ourselves.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
Speaking for myself, my favorite song to play is ''Penny for Your Thoughts'', which will be featured on our debut full-length. It's almost always met with great feedback from the audience and I love its fast pace and epic breakdown at the end. I think it's the epitome of what we try to convey with our music. The ''Stain of Ink'' trilogy from our debut EP is another favorite of mine.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Anywhere close to the sea is fine by me.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Ah, so many things. I guess The Smashing Pumpkins and early Metallica and Sabbath always bring back vivid memories from the past. They were also the primary bands that got me into playing heavy music.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
I'd love to have the power of invisibility. Being able to walk unnoticed has a really dark and tempting appeal, I guess.

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
We love trash talking each other before a show. It gets our blood pumping, haha. I also like doing stretches and stuff, makes me feel more ready for hitting the stage.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
I am usually nearly-terrified before going on stage. Luckily, that feeling transforms into pure adrenaline and passion a couple of songs into our set. I also hate cheese.

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?
Again, the Internet has vastly made the radio (at least in its traditional sense) pretty much unnecessary. Not that a band like us, who has entirely instrumental, lengthy songs would fit anywhere in the mainstream radio stations. We have been featured on some online radio shows though and I guess that helped spread the word about us, but other than that I don't consider our band radio-friendly in any way.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
I love listening to music, both discovering new stuff and getting re-acquainted with all-time favorites. I also watch a lot of TV shows, it's like a disease really.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I'd rather for them to remain hidden, haha.

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums