Username
Password
Paramore News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Paramore
Inside AP.net

Hayley Williams Comments on Miley Cyrus' Performance

Posted by: Jason Tate (08/28/13)
Hayley Williams of Paramore spoke yesterday with Coop and Gillian of AMP Radio 98.7 about Miley Cyrus' VMA performance. Now, this might just be the ugliest radio website of all time -- but if you can fight through it, you can stream the conversation (or just jump here). Hayley talks about how the performance made her uncomfortable and how she didn't like how it appeared that Miley was "using black girls as accessories."

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 184
10:31 AM on 08/28/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
I wrote my thoughts about the entire thing in my blog yesterday.
The thing that I keep coming back to about the performance isn’t the overtly sexual pieces — I think that sex and music are intertwined in a variety of ways and I really don’t have a problem with anyone expressing themselves in the manner they choose. I think that, in general, Americans are kinda prude — and the VMA’s are basically the only program that exists these days to showcase pop-music to the general population (a problem in itself). Now, combined with that, we have to realize that a good portion of those watching have seen Miley Cyrus grow up from a tween star. And, having grown up with that TV version star - the image she had then is incongruent with the person she is now. Part of me wants to blame this idea in pop-culture that to stay relevant and famous one needs to always “reinvent” their image — constantly be changing. And when I think about that, I realize I come to the crux of my eye-rolling: I just don’t find any of it very genuine. It’s all plastic, generic, feigned emotion.
10:34 AM on 08/28/13
Ohaidere
User Info.
Miley needs to stop trying to be a ratchet bitch and go home to her daddy.
10:34 AM on 08/28/13
domotime2
Like You Know Whatever
User Info.
the un-genuine part is spot on, but unfortunately it still garnishes the attention that her and her management team wanted
10:35 AM on 08/28/13
tub and rug
pissed off > pissed on
User Info.
She tries too hard to shed her Hannah Montana image.
10:39 AM on 08/28/13
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Jesus fucking Christ I have never wanted something to go away more than this entire thing.
10:39 AM on 08/28/13
jakeisthebest
I'm just a fucked up kid
User Info.
People need to give Miley a break. Everybody makes mistakes, everybody has those days. Everybody knows what what I'm talkin 'bout. Everyone gets that way. Stop acting like she's the only one to have a bit of fun sometimes.
10:40 AM on 08/28/13
sammyboy516
User Info.
Guess what? She's getting exactly what she wants.
10:42 AM on 08/28/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
People need to give Miley a break. Everybody makes mistakes, everybody has those days. Everybody knows what what I'm talkin 'bout. Everyone gets that way. Stop acting like she's the only one to have a bit of fun sometimes.
I can't think of many people that perform at the VMAs in their careers, and are given the opportunity to have one of "those days" ... I mean, the entire thing was scripted. I find it hard to believe Robin Thicke and Miley didn't know beforehand exactly what this was, and was going to be ... I don't think it's a "mistake" at all, I think it was a cold calculated business move.
Jeff_Ryan
easy come and easy go, whatever
User Info.

This entire thing is uninteresting other than the gifsets that have been produced
irthesteve
All that wander are not lost
User Info.
I don't care about people being up in arms about everything, but all the racist claims, etc are just fucking stupid
10:43 AM on 08/28/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
Jesus fucking Christ I have never wanted something to go away more than this entire thing.
Not even Syria?
10:43 AM on 08/28/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
I don't care about people being up in arms about everything, but all the racist claims, etc are just fucking stupid
I don't think they're as far fetched as you make it seem.
10:46 AM on 08/28/13
Holly HoX!
User Info.

They aren't fucking stupid at all.
10:47 AM on 08/28/13
irthesteve
All that wander are not lost
User Info.
I don't think they're as far fetched as you make it seem.
ok
Options
Related News Stories
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News