Username
Password

04:26 PM on 08/29/13 
User Info.
caveBEAR
( ω )
Tallahassee, FL
Male - 28 Years Old
Seems important. Important enough to warrant a thread.
04:35 PM on 08/29/13 
User Info.
georgedcc
Wales
Male - 23 Years Old
Been posted in the world news thread already, but that doesn't really matter.

The UK will not intervene, at this current time.

Quote:
British MPs have voted to reject possible military action against the Assad regime in Syria to deter the use of chemical weapons.

A government motion was defeated by 285 to 272, a majority of 13 votes.

Prime Minster David Cameron said it was clear Parliament does not want action and "the government will act accordingly".

It effectively rules out British involvement in any US-led strikes against the Assad regime.

And it comes as a potential blow to the authority of David Cameron, who had already watered down a government motion proposing military action, in response to the opposition Labour Party's demands for more evidence of Assad's guilt.

Here's a different article, explaining what Syria's options would be, in case of a US (or other) strike.

Not gonna quote the whole thing, but here's a picture of possible targets for a strike;

04:52 PM on 08/29/13 
User Info.
caveBEAR
( ω )
Tallahassee, FL
Male - 28 Years Old
Been posted in the world news thread already, but that doesn't really matter.

The UK will not intervene, at this current time.

Here's a different article, explaining what Syria's options would be, in case of a US (or other) strike.

Not gonna quote the whole thing, but here's a picture of possible targets for a strike;

Yeah, I know some of us shitty Americans never even go in the world news thread (myself included) so I thought a thread on Syria seemed appropriate.
05:50 PM on 08/29/13 
User Info.
Chrisj182
Chester, England
Male - 23 Years Old
This is about the first time i've been proud of the British parliament in years. I just hope there's a better way to stop the suffering without war.
06:39 PM on 08/29/13 
User Info.
EasySkankin
Male - 23 Years Old
It's like Obama has idiotically trapped himself by drawing a "red line" at chemical weapons. Some have presumed the use of force in Syria is really just a message to other countries like Iran not to cross red lines of their own. But the whole situation is so shitty and hypocritical on Obama. From a few months ago:

Carla Del Ponte, a member of the UN Independent Commission of Inquiry on Syria, said that testimony gathered from casualties and medical staff indicated that the nerve agent sarin was used by rebel fighters.

Link

So the US, Israel, and the rebels in Syria can use chemical weapons no problem, but now that Assad has for some reason defied any form of rationality by nailing its own coffin contrary to any self-interest of theirs other than the reciprocity of the force being used on them, the west wants to come in and play ball. There's something VERY wrong here.

EDIT: More than 300 people died in the chemical attack in Ghouta, which is definitely tragic and heavy relative to the whole civil war. But more than 1300 people have died in just two days in Egypt. We're so humanitarian.
08:05 PM on 08/29/13 
User Info.
Alou
Shenanigans.
Dacula, GA
Male - 23 Years Old
So because the US doesn't respond to every humanitarian tragedy means the US shouldn't respond to one?

There are plenty of reasons not to support an intervention in Syria (unclear mission, arguably not national security priority, unclear if Assad ordered it or if something wrong occurred further down in command), but saying "oh these people in Egypt died so lets not go into Syria" is a bad point to make.

I'm betting that Obama uses cruise missiles.
08:51 PM on 08/29/13 
User Info.
sjb2k1
8-6, double check my wang
the bull city
Female - 31 Years Old
and here i was, hoping that username middlesex wouldn't be a spam bot. booo.
09:01 PM on 08/29/13 
User Info.
kimchi
and here i was hoping that username middlesex wouldn't be a spam bot. booo.
I just realized it's "here I was, hoping" and not "here, I was hoping". Mind = blown, life = lie, etc.
09:01 PM on 08/29/13 
User Info.
sjb2k1
8-6, double check my wang
the bull city
Female - 31 Years Old
I just realized it's "here I was, hoping" and not "here, I was hoping". Mind = blown, life = lie, etc.
i shall edit my post, haha

okay now back to syria - i only posted that so people wouldn't get the thread error when they clicked the link in the forum view
09:08 PM on 08/29/13 
User Info.
kimchi
i shall edit my post, haha

okay now back to syria - i only posted that so people wouldn't get the thread error when they clicked the link in the forum view
Haha, I didn't mean you typed it wrong, I meant I've been hearing it wrong in my head my entire life.
09:09 PM on 08/29/13 
User Info.
cubsml34
A Class 3 KILLSTORM
Lemont/Chicago
Male - 21 Years Old
Intervention always breeds more conflict than it solves in the Middle East. Anyways, if Assad supposedly hadn't used chemical weapons, the response for intervention would be right back where it was, underwhelming, despite the fact that over 100,000 have died and 1,000,000 are now refugees.
09:25 PM on 08/29/13 
User Info.
EasySkankin
Male - 23 Years Old
So because the US doesn't respond to every humanitarian tragedy means the US shouldn't respond to one?

There are plenty of reasons not to support an intervention in Syria (unclear mission, arguably not national security priority, unclear if Assad ordered it or if something wrong occurred further down in command), but saying "oh these people in Egypt died so lets not go into Syria" is a bad point to make.

I'm betting that Obama uses cruise missiles.
I wasn't really using as an argument whether to go or not, like you said, anyone who has been paying attention knows that's a terrible idea. It was more "If we go in, don't fool yourself into thinking it's for humanitarian reasons".

Yeah reports seem to suggest destroyers in the Mediterranean are on standby to launch cruise missiles.
09:33 PM on 08/29/13 
User Info.
EasySkankin
Male - 23 Years Old
Iran and Russia tryna flex
10:10 PM on 08/29/13 
User Info.
Ferrari333SP
St. Paul, Minnesota
Male - 28 Years Old
The Economist

Hit him hard: Present the proof, deliver an ultimatum and punish Bashar Assad for his use of chemical weapons

http://www.economist.com/news/leader...C37810967%7CNA

Most of my thoughts are with this article.
10:30 PM on 08/29/13 
User Info.
EasySkankin
Male - 23 Years Old
Problems with the article:

1. Says nothing about the use of chemical weapons by the rebels.

2. Says nothing about the end-game. If we step in, we are partially responsible for the result. If this tips the war in the rebels' favor, the terribly despotic Islamist regime which will come after will once again, as has been the case so many times when we blindly jump into fights in the region, prove just as bad if not worse than the last regime. We've seen this movie way too many times to have not learned a thing or two.

3. Says nothing of blowback. Political middle Easterns are already wary enough of the US meddling in its affairs as it is. It will not be something Assad sympathizers in the region will forget, that includes Iran and Russia. We may unnecessarily invite another Beirut 1983, or worse, and for what?

EDIT: If we really want to help these people we need to devote our military manpower and dollars to getting refugees out of there. Should we invite them to the US, this would present the issue of possibly inviting the next 9/11-esque hijacker onto our shores. The administration has been looking for good PR on its surveillance program. Here's an opportunity.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos