Username
Password
Funny News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Funny
Inside AP.net

Dave Chappelle Comments on the Hartford Incident

Posted by: Cody Nelson (09/05/13)
At the Chicago date of the Oddball Comedy and Curiosity Festival, Dave Chappelle had quite a bit to say about the crowd he had to deal with a few days prior in Hartford, CT (which can be read about here for those of you unaware). Head to the replies for the audio.

Update: Pedro Segarra, mayor of Hartford, CT, has issued a response to Chappelle's lashings out.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 87
08:08 AM on 09/05/13
Cody Nelson
Your mouth to God's south.
User Info.
08:21 AM on 09/05/13
xHoodieWeather
I Just Want To Sell Out My Funeral
User Info.
Oof, if those were jokes, they were pretty lame. Dude definitely lost his edge a bit. Specially cringe-worthy when he says he hopes a nuke hit Hartford, not because it offends me, but because Its the type of out of context soundbyte that digs up a grave.
08:26 AM on 09/05/13
nowFace
We paved the roads.
User Info.
I just don't understand why people behave this way towards him. Like why go to a show where you're listening to what someone is saying, but yelling out famous quotes from his show? This is the exact same scenario it sounds like from a couple years ago that made him walk out on a show. Glad he called that Hartford crowd evil.
08:28 AM on 09/05/13
scott!athedisco
User Info.
I disagree, I thought it was pretty hilarious. Loved the metaphors about Kramer and Siegfriend and Roy, and I laughed out loud at "I wouldn't go to hartford for gas."
08:29 AM on 09/05/13
scott!athedisco
User Info.
to be fair, he didn't hope it was nuked, he prefaced it with "I hope nothing bad happens to the united states, but IF...."
08:30 AM on 09/05/13
nowFace
We paved the roads.
User Info.
Yeah haha. You know they're going to see a tiger show to see a motherfucker get bit. lol
08:51 AM on 09/05/13
BrendanMachow
User Info.
Being from Connecticut I find it very sad that people in this state are taking his comedic act to heart and getting pissed about this. The guy simply incorporated recent events into jokes he's been doing for a while now. He's doing what any good comedian would do. He knows he'll get laughs talking about it, he'd be dumb not to. People are really upset about the nuke joke? Jesus Christ...
08:52 AM on 09/05/13
TheRealJohnOC
@BehindtheCade Seen 701 bands live!
User Info.
I just don't understand why people behave this way towards him. Like why go to a show where you're listening to what someone is saying, but yelling out famous quotes from his show? This is the exact same scenario it sounds like from a couple years ago that made him walk out on a show. Glad he called that Hartford crowd evil.
People do it at Dice shows. He now starts the nursery rhyme and lets the crowd finish it. They even throw in the OH! too.
08:54 AM on 09/05/13
nowFace
We paved the roads.
User Info.
People do it at Dice shows. He now starts the nursery rhyme and lets the crowd finish it. They even throw in the OH! too.
lol that's cool. It may just have been an off night for him then.
08:58 AM on 09/05/13
deanster321
BLEGH
User Info.
Oof, if those were jokes, they were pretty lame. Dude definitely lost his edge a bit. Specially cringe-worthy when he says he hopes a nuke hit Hartford, not because it offends me, but because Its the type of out of context soundbyte that digs up a grave.
If people take it out of context then, really, fuck those people, not Chappelle.
09:04 AM on 09/05/13
FourStarters
Summer Jam
User Info.
Yeah, but Dice is (at this point in his career) a parody of himself these days. He's WELL past his prime and isn't making a huge comeback after leaving comedy. If people want to hear Chappelle Show lines, the DVD's are like $10 at Target. It's not a singalong.
09:07 AM on 09/05/13
xHoodieWeather
I Just Want To Sell Out My Funeral
User Info.
If people take it out of context then, really, fuck those people, not Chappelle.
If you expect the general population to not take something out of context, you'll be let down. All I'm saying is that it was the type of thing that wasn't funny so its not even like the joke will offset the out of context criticism, so its kind of a lose-lose.
09:11 AM on 09/05/13
dragani
User Info.
Any smart comedian wouldn't ignore such a newsworthy event like that, so it's good Chappelle brought it up. However, I just don't find the guy funny anymore. The way he put down Hartford wasn't even clever. I feel like his fans will laugh at anything that comes out of the guy's mouth. But I guess Chappelle has earned that over the years.
09:14 AM on 09/05/13
The Old Black
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I really enjoyed his set at the "Chicago" show (our venue is over an hour from the city). This part wasn't the greatest but it was good to see him seemingly happy and joking around throughout. Glad I went.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests