does such a thing exist?
06:29 AM on 09/06/13 
User Info.
open mind
bastard on parade
No Avatar Selected
anchorage
Male
61 views (at this point) and no opinions.....interesting.

not directly related, but i'd just like to say that it's fucking awesome that debates (or maybe more accurately non-debates) like this are sponsored by credit card companies, apple, and mcdonalds.
07:54 AM on 09/06/13 
User Info.
XenoAbe
Cowboy monkey riding border collies
Atlanta, Ga
Male - 30 Years Old
no?
07:55 AM on 09/06/13 
User Info.
open mind
bastard on parade
No Avatar Selected
anchorage
Male
care to elaborate? or do you believe dismissiveness equals unassailable proof?
08:05 AM on 09/06/13 
User Info.
Jake Gyllenhaal
Sit on Santa's lap
Connecticut
Male
Speaking of McDonald's, let me fill you in why they are a model corporate example in this global economy. Their worldwide operations are aligned around a global strategy called the "Plan to Win," which centers on an exceptional customer experience in five folds: People, Products, Place, Price and Promotion. They are deeply committed to continuously improving their operations and enhancing their customers' experience.

McDonald’s Values places the customer experience at the core of all they do. Their customers are the reason for their existence. They demonstrate their appreciation by providing them with high quality food and superior service in a clean, welcoming environment, at a great value. Their goal is quality, service, cleanliness and value (QSC&V) for each and every customer, each and every time. They are committed to their people. They provide opportunity, nurture talent, develop leaders and reward achievement. They believe that a team of well-trained individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences, working together in an environment that fosters respect and drives high levels of engagement, is essential to their continued success. They believe in the McDonald’s System. McDonald’s business model, depicted by their “three-egged stool” of owner/operators, suppliers, and company employees, is their foundation, and balancing the interests of all three groups is key. They operate their business ethically. Sound ethics is good business. At McDonald’s, they hold themselves and conduct their business to high standards of fairness, honesty, and integrity. They are individually accountable and collectively responsible. They give back to their communities. They take seriously the responsibilities that come with being a leader. They help their customers build better communities, support Ronald McDonald House Charities, and leverage their size, scope and resources to help make the world a better place. They grow our business profitably. McDonald’s is a publicly traded company. As such, they work to provide sustained profitable growth for their shareholders. This requires a continuous focus on their customers and the health of their system. They strive continually to improve. They are a learning organization that aims to anticipate and respond to changing customer, employee and system needs through constant evolution and innovation.

Now, if you ask me, that doesn't exactly sound like tyranny.

But don't take it from me. The following are employee testimonials on indeed.com:

Quote:
Cashier, Fort Wayne, IN – September 4, 2013
Pros: breaks, free lunch, discount
Overall i had a good experience working at Mcdonalds. I learned how to interact with other people, working in groups. Making sure that customers were satisfied with their order and service. The most difficult part was the rush hour. But i eventually go the hang of it and i really enjoyed every minute of it. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and interacting with new people and working together.

Quote:
Cashier, Odessa, TX – September 3, 2013
Was a fun environment, but always had to be in a hurry, but its part of working at a fast food restaurant. Communicated with many customers, happy and not happy ones, but always managed to get through the work day fine.

Quote:
Shift Supervisor, Royal Oak, MI – September 3, 2013
I enjoyed every employee I worked with and every customer I came into contact with. It was a clean, fun place to work.

Quote:
Crew , Gettysburg, PA – September 3, 2013
Great job if you love fast paced work. Learned how to work quick yet efficiently bvy myself and along side others. The management are great and work right along side with us.

Quote:
Swing Manager, Pleasant Hill, Iowa – September 3, 2013
My typical work day would be making orders, processing payment, taking orders, counting drawers, running shifts, open and closing store, and cleaning.
This was my first job. I learned the importance of food safty.
Management was great.
My co-workers were great.
The hardest part of my job would have been during the fair time.
I enjoyed meeting different people everyday while work. And helping out customers.
08:16 AM on 09/06/13 
User Info.
open mind
bastard on parade
No Avatar Selected
anchorage
Male
Speaking of McDonald's, let me fill you in why they are a model corporate example in this global economy. Their worldwide operations are aligned around a global strategy called the "Plan to Win," which centers on an exceptional customer experience in five folds: People, Products, Place, Price and Promotion. They are deeply committed to continuously improving their operations and enhancing their customers' experience.

McDonald’s Values places the customer experience at the core of all they do. Their customers are the reason for their existence. They demonstrate their appreciation by providing them with high quality food and superior service in a clean, welcoming environment, at a great value. Their goal is quality, service, cleanliness and value (QSC&V) for each and every customer, each and every time. They are committed to their people. They provide opportunity, nurture talent, develop leaders and reward achievement. They believe that a team of well-trained individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences, working together in an environment that fosters respect and drives high levels of engagement, is essential to their continued success. They believe in the McDonald’s System. McDonald’s business model, depicted by their “three-egged stool” of owner/operators, suppliers, and company employees, is their foundation, and balancing the interests of all three groups is key. They operate their business ethically. Sound ethics is good business. At McDonald’s, they hold themselves and conduct their business to high standards of fairness, honesty, and integrity. They are individually accountable and collectively responsible. They give back to their communities. They take seriously the responsibilities that come with being a leader. They help their customers build better communities, support Ronald McDonald House Charities, and leverage their size, scope and resources to help make the world a better place. They grow our business profitably. McDonald’s is a publicly traded company. As such, they work to provide sustained profitable growth for their shareholders. This requires a continuous focus on their customers and the health of their system. They strive continually to improve. They are a learning organization that aims to anticipate and respond to changing customer, employee and system needs through constant evolution and innovation.

Now, if you ask me, that doesn't exactly sound like tyranny.
high quality food.....what a joke.

if they're so invested in giving their workers proper compensation, why is there such a backlash coming from them against the unionization of fast food workers?

when they decide what's ethical, it's all too easy to operate ethically.....and contributing to charity while admirable, is also a tax write-off.

i'd prefer it if we could avoid turning this into a mcdonalds thread if at all possible, because i was hoping to have a debate on the overall impact of multi-national corporations.....but it's not all that hard to rip on mcdonalds, and their way of doing business if that's where you want to take it.

edit:anecdotal evidence serves as poor evidence......and i'm pretty sure you know that.
08:23 AM on 09/06/13 
User Info.
XenoAbe
Atlanta, Ga
Male - 30 Years Old
care to elaborate? or do you believe dismissiveness equals unassailable proof?

Actually I don't believe any corporation starts in any sort of tyrannical motive. I believe many of them get too big for them to even control. Levels of politics and red tape come into play and the revenue becomes so large that the good of the customer isn't always as easy to adjust for.

I work for Cartoon Network for example. We are under Turner, which is under TimeWarner, one of the largest corporations in the world. I think customers are moving towards getting TV content directly from content providers (i.e. the channels). However, the revenue right now is so tied into the cable distribution companies that a large scale redistribution of revenue channels is near impossible such that it's impossible for content providers to break away from cable distributors. That's why customers don't have an a la carte model. I don't believe any intended for this to happen, but people now view some of these companies as "tyrannical" because they are stuck in an old model with revenue models not being able to as easily shift as the distribution channels are allowing.
08:28 AM on 09/06/13 
User Info.
open mind
bastard on parade
No Avatar Selected
anchorage
Male
Actually I don't believe any corporation starts in any sort of tyrannical motive. I believe many of them get too big for them to even control. Levels of politics and red tape come into play and the revenue becomes so large that the good of the customer isn't always as easy to adjust for.

I work for Cartoon Network for example. We are under Turner, which is under TimeWarner, one of the largest corporations in the world. I think customers are moving towards getting TV content directly from content providers (i.e. the channels). However, the revenue right now is so tied into the cable distribution companies that a large scale redistribution of revenue channels is near impossible such that it's impossible for content providers to break away from cable distributors. That's why customers don't have an a la carte model. I don't believe any intended for this to happen, but people now view some of these companies as "tyrannical" because they are stuck in an old model with revenue models not being able to as easily shift as the distribution channels are allowing.
who made the assertion that corporations start out with tyrannical motives?

if you believe that some people think mass media companies (which are overwhelmingly owned by an ever smaller amount of people that present a very limited amount of viewpoints) are only tyrannical because of the pricing and lack of availability of certain package deals, you're sorely mistaken.

edit:that said.....i'm not trying to single out media companies either.....there is a larger issue that i'm attempting to discuss.
08:30 AM on 09/06/13 
User Info.
XenoAbe
Atlanta, Ga
Male - 30 Years Old
who made the assertion that corporations start out with tyrannical motives?

if you believe that some people think mass media companies (which are overwhelmingly owned by an ever smaller amount of people that present a very limited amount of viewpoints) are only tyrannical because of the pricing and lack of availability of certain package deals, you're sorely mistaken.

Maybe you should expound upon you're criteria for labeling a corporation as "tyrannical". I'm not sure I understand where you're going with this.
08:42 AM on 09/06/13 
User Info.
open mind
bastard on parade
No Avatar Selected
anchorage
Male
Maybe you should expound upon you're criteria for labeling a corporation as "tyrannical". I'm not sure I understand where you're going with this.
as a whole i believe corporate influence on their customers and governments of the world has limited the information people receive (which serves to shape opinions before they can even be made and also serving to discredit/dismiss those who come to undesirable conclusions).....combine that with socialized investment for private gains/the multitude of other ways corporate interests are furthered at the expense of the public, and the resulting profits allowing corporations and their executives to buy elections....and you've got an apparatus that controls almost all the information about anything that matters that reaches peoples ears, drains the public of their justly earned wealth, and denies them any real political power to combat such injustices......and that, in my mind is a tad tyrannical.

edit:nevermind the fact that the structure of a corporation is (usually) anything but democratic.
09:56 AM on 09/06/13 
User Info.
XenoAbe
Atlanta, Ga
Male - 30 Years Old
as a whole i believe corporate influence on their customers and governments of the world has limited the information people receive (which serves to shape opinions before they can even be made and also serving to discredit/dismiss those who come to undesirable conclusions).....combine that with socialized investment for private gains/the multitude of other ways corporate interests are furthered at the expense of the public, and the resulting profits allowing corporations and their executives to buy elections....and you've got an apparatus that controls almost all the information about anything that matters that reaches peoples ears, drains the public of their justly earned wealth, and denies them any real political power to combat such injustices......and that, in my mind is a tad tyrannical.

edit:nevermind the fact that the structure of a corporation is (usually) anything but democratic.

Can you describe some specific illustrations of what you mean? At least IMO, corporations became so large because of the public and capitalism. I don't see anything wrong with that. Now, once they do become powerful enough to start influencing public opinion then what they do with that power is another argument altogether.
10:08 AM on 09/06/13 
User Info.
open mind
bastard on parade
No Avatar Selected
anchorage
Male
Can you describe some specific illustrations of what you mean? At least IMO, corporations became so large because of the public and capitalism. I don't see anything wrong with that. Now, once they do become powerful enough to start influencing public opinion then what they do with that power is another argument altogether.
the shaping of public opinion around any military conflict is almost wholly shaped by a mass media owned by a small amount of people. if specific instances are required i can point to the invasion of iraq as one of the more blatant examples....you could point out the fact that the bush administration lied it's ass off, but it's not like the corporate media did much in the way of investigative journalism during the march to war.

since we're on the internet, i'll use that as an example of public funds being invested to build something, and receiving little in the way of direct monetary gain.....you might say we get money back in the form of taxes, but large multi-national corporations are experts at tax-dodging.

it's no secret that well moneyed parties are responsible for bankrolling the majority of political campaigns these days......some asshole even managed to basically buy one of the carolina's recently.
10:16 AM on 09/06/13 
User Info.
Nemoch
No Avatar Selected
gas/oil comes to mind. I'm not very informed on any of this, but I do feel like we are being exploited by them.
11:18 AM on 09/06/13 
User Info.
beforehand
The G in Kenny G = God
Portland, ME
Male
You could argue (and it seems like you are) that our entire country is tyrannized by corporations. We are literally their slaves.
11:34 AM on 09/06/13 
User Info.
open mind
bastard on parade
No Avatar Selected
anchorage
Male
You could argue (and it seems like you are) that our entire country is tyrannized by corporations. We are literally their slaves.
I am arguing the first part, but I wouldn't say we're all slaves at this point.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos