AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 7 posts
11:26 PM on 09/08/13
rushour144
User Info.
Good review. Still not sure that it's better than Separation yet but I guarantee that people will get on at you about the lyrics. Well written though.

I felt that way until the 4th listen, and then it just hit me how amazing this album is. It's honestly one of the finest albums I have ever had the privilege of listening too. I love Seperation with a passion, but this album blows it out of the water; but with that said, Seperation still reigns supreme over most albums out there!
11:33 PM on 09/08/13
rushour144
User Info.
Darn near flawless album. "Back of Your Head" may be hands down the greatest song they ever wrote. It has the ambience of "Brother, Sister" era mwY, allthewhile staying completely original and true to their sound. And that light/dark bridge section on "I'm Swimming" is one of the coolest segments of any B&C song, in my honest opinion. Unless IIOI puts out something literally beyond words, this will be my AOTY. Bravo B&C, you've created a masterpiece.
11:35 PM on 09/08/13
rushour144
User Info.
Great, great review.

Mentioned this in a thread somewhere, but one thing I think is important to mention about this record - it doesn't 'replace' Separation for me in any way. I love both records, for different reasons.

The opposite is true of Thrice's final LPs. I really enjoyed Beggars - but when Major/Minor released, Beggars became...less. The latter record stayed within the world of the former, so much so that it almost made Beggars irrelevant to me (that's an exaggeration, but I certainly listen to it much less now).

Separation and The Things We Think We're Missing hit different notes for me. The earlier album is more raw and unrefined, while the new is more polished and explores the more bombastic sides of B&C. Both will continually receive regular plays, and I'm not sure I have a favorite between them.

Hopefully that made sense.

Very well said. I am listening to this way more right now, for obvious reasons, but Seperation will continue to get tons of spins from me. Like you said, in different words, once Major/Minor came out, I hardly ever listened to Beggars...not the case with these two albums. Both are incredible in their own right! Thanks for this wonderful insight.
12:03 AM on 09/09/13
rushour144
User Info.

Oh man, did not know Jon did guest vocals!!! So much more pumped now!
01:33 PM on 09/09/13
rushour144
User Info.
If you're 11 years old and have never listened to another band with aggressive vocals before, then sure, Jon totally sounds like Jeremy Bolm at the end of "Notice Me".

Even so, the difference between their respective tones is pretty stark.
This! I guess listening back now with Jeremy in mind I sort of hear it, but I instantly recognized that was Jon on first listen.
01:35 PM on 09/09/13
rushour144
User Info.
Stop your cheerleading Thomas. I really can't trust a single review you write because every album you review is just the most mind blowing thing you have ever listened to. Aside from trashing the Transit record, I really can't trust your opinion anymore. Seriously give an honest review that isn't using pure hyperbole.

Sorry man.
In this case, you can trust him. There is really nothing bad to say about this album. I love critical reviews as well, but it is hard to be critical to something that is basically perfection contained in 13 tracks haha! Read other reviews of this album, they all (at least all the one's I've read) would agree with this.
01:38 PM on 09/09/13
rushour144
User Info.
Really wasn't a fan of this band's old stuff, and then I heard the new single and instantly changed my mind. I'm looking forward to hearing the entire album and finding out if what I liked was a one-off or not.
Is it reflection you heard? If so, you will love this album. Just wait until you hear "Parachutes," "I'm Swimming," and "Back of Your Head," (my personal favorite). I am still shocked at how incredible this album is, and I have NO problem being a total fanboy in this case!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos