Username
Password

Album Review - Page 13
Displaying posts 180 - 195 of 219.
02:10 AM on 09/10/13
trevorshmevor
User Info.
i love loud fast angry B&C

Haha, you've made that quite clear with your review (which I liked, by the way).

Don't get me wrong, I also enjoy my fair share of angry B&C. Like I said, I like this album, but was really hoping the band would build upon the sound they teased us with on the Braid split. Those songs showed a real growth to me, in every aspect. They took me completely by surprise, and while TTWTWM has certainly revealed the band has improved immensely in the songwriting department, the content of the songs themselves doesn't consist of much I didn't think the band had in them before. I knew this band could write "Cut Me Open" already. The same can be said about "Reflection", or even "Lost Your Name". It doesn't mean I don't like those songs, but I think that taking a different route in their sound would result in a more fulfilling record. That's obviously subjective, though (just as I find "Notice Me" to be an unbearably lazy song, when you call it the highest point on the album).

I do have to mention again how much better crafted these songs are than the ones found on Separation though. I love that album, but I'm glad the band came to realize that mashing a bunch of cool parts together with pretty lackluster transitions was only going to get them so far. I can't wait to see where they go with their next album.
05:00 AM on 09/10/13
xapplexpiex
&.&
User Info.
I loved Seperation, but can't get into this. Maybe it'll grow on me.
05:29 AM on 09/10/13
xapplexpiex
&.&
User Info.
Just read this whole thread. I've been reading Thomas's reviews for years and he's always used hyperbole to draw readers in. I also like Jake's posts. He focuses more on semantics and less on broad generalizations to have discussions. Two conflicting personalities.
10:03 AM on 09/10/13
ConnorPOZ
User Info.
After reading this thread here are my thoughts:
1) Album rules
2) Different websites use different scales and they shouldn't be compared like Jake did by saying his scores are more in line with Pitchfork and AP.net
3) Just like outlets are different so are people! Just because 2 albums are posted on AP.net doesn't mean their scores are comparable, I could think a 50% is bad while Thomas considers it average score or vice versa. Reviews are subjective.
4) Editors on the same team fighting over who's review scores are more fair is embarrassing.

Great review as always Thomas.
12:49 PM on 09/10/13
IRodeTenSpeed
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I like this but I agree with the other poster who said that this does get kind of repetitive sounding after awhile
01:14 PM on 09/10/13
Jake Jenkins
~
User Info.
After reading this thread here are my thoughts:
1) Album rules
2) Different websites use different scales and they shouldn't be compared like Jake did by saying his scores are more in line with Pitchfork and AP.net
3) Just like outlets are different so are people! Just because 2 albums are posted on AP.net doesn't mean their scores are comparable, I could think a 50% is bad while Thomas considers it average score or vice versa. Reviews are subjective.
4) Editors on the same team fighting over who's review scores are more fair is embarrassing.

Great review as always Thomas.
I think you completely misunderstood what I was saying. Your third point here is the point I was making.
02:49 PM on 09/10/13
Ryan Dennehy
it's just me & u
User Info.
I think you completely misunderstood what I was saying. Your third point here is the point I was making.
are you surprised
02:52 PM on 09/10/13
Jake Jenkins
~
User Info.
are YOU!?
02:59 PM on 09/10/13
phaynes1
AP.NET ILLUMINATI
User Info.
poz'd 'em
03:01 PM on 09/10/13
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor | @drewberinger | Locked Groove
User Info.
oh my god this is the worst
03:06 PM on 09/10/13
outlier
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I really enjoy the beginning of the album, the build up to Back of Your Head and the flow into the Tiny Raindrop. It's absolute perfection in my book. But my god, the middle of the album is extremely dull.
06:08 PM on 09/10/13
devincw
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
The screaming on this album is PERFECTLY placed. SO heavy but also very atmospheric. Great review
05:53 PM on 09/12/13
baton
ftfmusic.net
User Info.
fell in love with the album, one of the best this year for me.
10:28 AM on 09/14/13
WhatJulianSaid
News on Once the Clouds are Gone
User Info.
I don't think a lot of people realize this is what they were trying to sound like before they went into to record Separation. I still don't find it nearly as amazing as everyone else does but I do think it's good, definitely not anywhere near AOTY imo though.
04:15 PM on 09/14/13
punkDbass
User Info.
I'm going to keep listening to it, I definitely like it, but I'm unsure if I like it more than Separation. Separation just has a more cathartic appeal to me, something feels lacking on this album.. it feels more conservative, more reserved. At least this is my first impression anyway.

Thomas, what do you think of Pitchfork's review? The whole review seemed overwhelmingly positive, which made me pretty surprised to see it only got a 6.6.

EDIT: Upon further listening, I'm definitely in love with this record. It's hard to make comparisons to Separation, both records are very different and distinct.. this album just feels different to me, and not in a bad way by any means. But needless to say this is an amazing album, and Balance and Composure still remains one of my favorite bands.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests