Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 9 posts
11:11 AM on 09/09/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.

Thanks! Check back tomorrow and throughout the week for more.

Great stuff, great album. This was my first real introduction to Butch Walker, though I was also a fan of Southgang back in the 90s (though I had no idea who Butch was back then). There isn't a bad song on this album.

Really, really love this album. Wasn't my introduction to him - I entered the picture a bit later on - but I really enjoyed going back to these albums after having gotten into his solo material. Is this your favorite M3 album? I'll be interested to see how our opinions on his stuff intersect.
01:04 PM on 09/09/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
Yeah I'd have to give Hey Album th edge over ReadySexGo but only by a very small margin, followed by Math & Other Problems, which is also a lot of fun. RSG is a pretty awesome rock album with sick hooks and tongue-in-cheek lyrics. On this album, You're so Yesterday, Let Me Go, Freak of the Week, Indie Queen, Every Monday are all great tracks. Looking forward to your write up of RSG.

RSG gets the edge for me, though Hey is probably more solid front to back.
06:26 PM on 09/09/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
Very cool writeup. This is one of the most important records of my youth, as it was one of the first albums that showed me music could be something more than just something you'd listen to for entertainment.

This might be a topic for tomorrow, but you were at the last M3 show, right?

this was one of the first albums i ever bought, along with where have all the merrymakers gone? and maybe you've been brainwashed too. one of my the most important albums i ever listened to.

Nice, always great to find new fans around these parts. Hope you'll tune in for the rest of the series.

This album is so fun, love it

I know, right? I love Butch as a ballad guy, but it's also just a riot to see him do a record that is fun, upbeat pop rock all the way through. This and The Spade are definitely like that.
06:43 PM on 09/09/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
Tracks like "Every Monday" and "Let Me Go" are just such good examples of how great of a pop writer this dude is
Yeah, the middle section is crazy good. "Let Me Go" into "Indie Queen" into "Every Monday" is one of his best streaks of songs.
06:47 PM on 09/09/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
I was. It was unbelievable.
Bastard. Can't even imagine how emotional "Cigarette Lighter Love Song" was at that show.
06:51 PM on 09/09/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
I think you have Monday and Queen swapped, unless we have different versions of the CD

My bad, I typed it wrong. Point still stands.

Probably the most memorable moment of the show. It was something special and I'm glad I didn't miss out on it.

I'm just glad he's still playing CLLS regularly, but shit, I would kill to have seen an actual Marvelous 3 show.
07:06 PM on 09/09/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
I was at the ReadySexGo! release show as well, which was held at a random Best Buy outside of Atlanta.
I think I have recordings of that show from some random Marvelous 3 fansite that may or may not still be on the internet.
04:05 PM on 09/10/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
Same, I was going to go to one when I was younger with my brother, but it was 18+ so I had to stay home. =(

Hey, at least you knew who they were when they were the Marvelous 3.

If not for this album, I never would have gotten into Butch. Like, at all.

"#27" and "Ms. Jackson" are one of my favorite one-two punches on any record. I love the way Butch sings on them both.

Butch, as a vocalist, gets so much better on this album compared to how he sounded on Math.

So which version of this album does everyone prefer, I swing back and forth depending on mood, sometimes the less polished version seems perfect, but other times that pop sheen pushes it to a completely different level. Oh indecisiveness, you fickle monster

I think the major label version is definitely better, so chock that up as one of the few things Elektra did right. Also, "Cold As Hell" fits better on Readysexgo! that it would have here, and I'm okay with "Fastboat" being a b-side. However, there's no way "I Just Wanna Go Home" should have been cut. I love the hell out of that song.

The major label version, for sure. The indie release is cool, but the flow and the production of the major release make it nearly perfect.

What's your favorite b-side from the Marvelous 3 era? Or favorite Butch b-side period, for that matter?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos