Password

Album Review - Page 3
Displaying posts 30 - 42 of 42.
07:08 AM on 09/12/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
Honestly I've given all of his solo work a shot at some point or another
Kind of surprised if you didn't like Sycamore Meadows. Seems like that would be right up your alley.
07:11 AM on 09/12/13
Chris Collum
No dumbass dove in my dumbass brain
User Info.
Kind of surprised if you didn't like Sycamore Meadows. Seems like that would be right up your alley.
I'll revisit that one first
07:22 AM on 09/12/13
pnkhrdwndr
User Info.
Letters is definitely among the most influential records for me. I've connected with every song on this album in ways few others have. I really enjoyed the review.
07:32 AM on 09/12/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
I'll revisit that one first

Cool. He does a lot of more classic rock stuff on that record: some Petty, some Springsteen, some Costello. That review is coming tomorrow, so you can read along or something. Haha

Letters is definitely among the most influential records for me. I've connected with every song on this album in ways few others have. I really enjoyed the review.

Thanks for reading. These songs have all hit me in different ways over the years.
07:49 AM on 09/12/13
BensonHedges
Registered Member
User Info.
You're right about "Best Thing," I think the way he performs it live makes it so much bigger than it was originally but damn, do I love that song. I remember the first time I really GOT it and was like "holy shit, you do not want this song to be about you." But mostly, whenever I listen to it, I see him kind of writhing on the floor with a mic cord wrapped around his neck and the intensity of it is huge.

I love "Lights Out" so much. I didn't start seeing Butch live till 2010 (my loss) so I never got to dance party to it, which is kind of a bummer. Maybe he'll bring it back some day.

Love this album.
09:28 AM on 09/12/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
I remember your review of this one. Shame it disappeared.

He just plays the song differently, which is fine. But yeah, Buckley is definitely a fair parallel for that bridge, and that's a huge compliment.
https://twitter.com/butchwalker/status/378178791384031232
09:36 AM on 09/12/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
You're right about "Best Thing," I think the way he performs it live makes it so much bigger than it was originally but damn, do I love that song. I remember the first time I really GOT it and was like "holy shit, you do not want this song to be about you." But mostly, whenever I listen to it, I see him kind of writhing on the floor with a mic cord wrapped around his neck and the intensity of it is huge.

I love "Lights Out" so much. I didn't start seeing Butch live till 2010 (my loss) so I never got to dance party to it, which is kind of a bummer. Maybe he'll bring it back some day.

Love this album.

I think the first live version of "Best Thing" I saw was on the Budokan DVD, which just blew me away. By the end of that video he's more or less crying and his guitar strings are all broken. So intense. I think that video is on YouTube, let me see if I can find it...

Yep, there it is! But seriously, it would suck for that song to be about you. Wonder who he wrote about it.

"Lights Out" I saw live once. It's the perfect song for him to do his "trip into the audience" thing. I hope he brings it back someday as well.

https://twitter.com/butchwalker/status/378178791384031232

I saw that! You rock man, thanks for helping to get his attention and get the word out there. I really appreciate it.
09:50 AM on 09/12/13
kmonkey2
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Everything you said about "Mixtape" is pretty spot on. That was also the first Butch song I heard. I haven't listened to this full album in a while and I definitely will be revisiting it this afternoon. The emotion in each of these songs gets me each and every time.

For as much as I love this record I've never gotten too much in to his other stuff. I know a few Marvelous 3 songs and like them and I have I Liked You Better When You Had No Heart and really like a few songs but it hasn't hit me in the same way.
11:17 AM on 09/12/13
irthesteve
All that wander are not lost
User Info.
Great writeup for this album. While I don't really have any personal connection or memories with this album, it's certainly fun
05:32 AM on 09/20/13
Skinkie
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Everything you said about "Mixtape" is pretty spot on. That was also the first Butch song I heard. I haven't listened to this full album in a while and I definitely will be revisiting it this afternoon. The emotion in each of these songs gets me each and every time.

For as much as I love this record I've never gotten too much in to his other stuff. I know a few Marvelous 3 songs and like them and I have I Liked You Better When You Had No Heart and really like a few songs but it hasn't hit me in the same way.
If Letters is your thing, the next one you may want to try is Sycamore Meadows. Your thought on I Liked It Better... seem to mirror those of a lot of the other commenters here. Good, but not as great as the rest of his stuff, so I wouldn't let that deter you too much
01:15 PM on 09/20/13
Intotheblack
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Nothing else needs to be said that you haven't already said. This album is flawless and a masterpiece and it remains my favorite Butch Walker record. From the songs to the lyrics to the production, all perfect across the board. It will always be close to my heart as it was the first one I heard from him and also the first song 'Mixtape'.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests