AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

AP.net Related News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Dan and Brian Give Week 2 Fantasy Football Advice

Posted by - 09:23 AM on 09/12/13
With one week of fantasy football in the history books, early-season winners and losers alike turned their attention to the waiver wire to get ahead of the game and pick up sleeper players. Now looking ahead to Week 2, we've got "Start-Em, Sit-Em" advice from Dan Campbell of The Wonder Years and some waiver wire suggestions from Brian Schmutz of The Starting Line. Both of these gentlemen are participating in our first-ever AP.net Fantasy Football Challenge, which raised over $2,500 for charity this year.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 23
09:23 AM on 09/12/13
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
Dan Campbell: Start-Em, Sit-Em Being that this is the first week we’re doing this, I was left with kind of a difficult task. First, there’s no outline for how we’re planning to do this Start ‘Em, Sit ‘Em. So, I’ve decided I’m going to give you a sleepier starter. I don’t think these guys are sleepers. You know who they are but they’re not high profile players either. I don’t need to tell you to start Adrian Peterson. They call the man Purple Jesus. You know to start him. I was trying to think more for two quarterback leagues, wide receiver 3, flex, etc. Sits are just people I don’t have a lot of faith in. Remember, we only have week 1 to go on and so this is the best I’ve got for you. Good luck.

Quarterback
Start: Terrell Pryor – The man actually looked pretty good for someone who was so widely expected to fail. He has a dynamic playmaking ability, is a threat on the run and had an above average game throwing the ball. He’s going up against the Jags defense who couldn’t seem to stop the Chiefs last week. I like him in two quarterback leagues.

Sit: Ben Rothlisberger – He’s now sitting behind one of the weakest O-lines in football with no clear starting running back and his top two passing options from last year gone. It’s not going to be pretty for Big Ben.

Running Back
Start: Joique Bell – Sure, he’s a number two back behind Reggie Bush who was electric in his regular season Lions debut, but he got two goal line touchdowns. It looks like they may want to protect Bush’s health and so I expect Bell to get a lot of goal line looks this season. He also caught a number of passes and would be even better in PPR leagues.

Sit: Giovani Bernard – I’ve never been sold on the guy. I had a few different people ask me if they should play him in their flex last week. The way I see it, he’s still sitting behind the law firm on the depth chart. If you wanted to play a number two back, Bell, Ben Tate or Bernard Pierce all feel like better options. Maybe even Bryce Brown. Pittsburgh’s defense may not be at their best, but they still held a much more dynamic rusher in CJ2K to under 3 yards per carry.

Wide Receiver
Start: Julian Edelman – Tom Brady will always make something work and right now Edelman is all he’s got. With Amendola and Vereen added to the list of receivers Brady DOESN’T have, Edelman is destined to get a lot of the looks Thursday against the Jets.

Sit: Mike Wallace – For the “biggest free agent signing of the offseason,” Wallace was silent in his debut with Miami. I don’t think it’ll stay that way forever but he doesn’t have a relationship with Tannehill yet and I don’t expect it to have picked up too drastically from just last week.

Tight End
Start: Kellen Winslow – Geno Smith has already referred to Winslow as his security blanket. He got the most action of any Jet’s receiver last week and the Patriot’s defense didn’t have as easy of a time with Buffalo as expected. I think Winslow could have another solid week here.

Sit: Antonio Gates – Gates was, at best, hot and cold last year. The Eagles defense looked surprisingly pretty great against Washington last week. I just don’t imagine Gates having a big week.

Defense
Start: Cincinnati – After losing pro-bowl center Maurkice Pouncey, Pittsburgh’s offensive line is incredibly porous. I expect Cincy to hit the quarterback a lot and cause a lot of rushed throws.

Sit: San Francisco – This was a hard one to pick. San Fran has a great D but I’m expecting a high scoring game against Seattle. I don’t expect them to tank, but I’m not expecting a lot of points either.

Brian Schmutz: Working the Waiver WireWeek One is over. One of the most fun things about playing fantasy football is that now we get to assess our squads to determine exactly how much we need to freak out, and how much shopping we need to do on the waiver wire. I'll try my best to provide some opinions on available players, with a slant towards 8-team leagues, since the large majority of the AP.net leagues are 8 teams only. I should preface this by saying if Julius Thomas, Jordan Cameron, and Julian Edelman are still out there, add them, and can I join your league? Those guys should have been owned before their games even ended. Here's my view on the scrap heap:

QB Terrelle Pryor, OAK
Quarterbacks around the NFL seemed to survive Week One relatively unscathed, so you probably aren't looking to replace your starter already. That being said, if you're someone that might have Ben Roethlisberger, Tony Romo, Eli Manning, or lord help you Joe Flacco as your back up QB, you might want to make a speculative swap for Pryor. It's a high risk, high reward add but after 112 yards rushing to go with the passing stats, Pryor is the highest upside add on the waiver wire. If this is legit, he could wind up being a top 10 QB by the end of the year. Of course, I said high risk. He also has the potential to be awful. If you have the roster space, he's worth a speculative add.

RB Bryce Brown, PHI
Chip Kelly hysteria is at an all time high. And I'm ready to make a bold claim. In my league, I have McCoy. After watching Chip Kelly maestro the Eagles offense on Monday night, I believe the formerly pass-first Eagles will lead the league in rushing in 2013. That means there will be enough carries for McCoy and Brown for both to have value. I'm not saying Brown is start-able this week necessarily (definitely not in an 8 team league), but he can be a decent bye week fill and hey, if anything should ever happen to McCoy, who missed some games last week, you hit the lottery.

WR Stevie Johnson, BUF
I'm assuming most 8 team leagues have him as being owned, but then again, he was just dropped in my league. Shows how deep the talent is, and with limited roster space and injuries, sometimes you need to make tough calls in leagues this small. I'd recommend picking him up but then again, I can't even justify picking him up myself with how my roster is constructed. Maybe you can justify it.

WR Harry Douglas, ATL
Both Roddy White and Julio Jones missed practice today. If you have either of those guys and you're freaking out, scoop him up. Even if both guys wind up playing, neither are going to be 100%. Douglas is a start-able player this week, but maybe not beyond Sunday, so add/drop carefully.

TE Kellen Winslow, NYJ
The waiver wire is full of unsexy names, and this is one of the least sexy names out there. But he may be the #1 receiving option on a team with a rookie quarterback. You're probably not starting him this week unless you're in a pinch, but if you believe in carrying two TEs, grab him.

DEF Philadelphia Eagles
More Eagles love. I'm employing a strategy in many leagues this year of streaming defenses. I'd rather spend my draft picks on high upside offensive guys and play the match ups week to week on defense. My play this week in those leagues is the Eagles. Yes, they're on a short week. But they're playing their home opener against a west coast team traveling east for a 1pm game after losing in demoralizing fashion in the late game on Monday night. Sorry Chargers fans, I don't think this is going to go well for you. Look for Philadelphia's fast paced offense to score early and often, forcing the Chargers to get desperate in their attempts to keep up. Watch the turnovers pile up for the Eagles defense.

Good luck in Week Two!
10:02 AM on 09/12/13
Micah511
I don't wanna simmer down.
User Info.
Hope soupy is right about Edelman. Just got him in a trade and I'm planning on starting him right away. With Amendola down he's bound to do well.
10:04 AM on 09/12/13
esposimi
The Human Fund
User Info.
I beat Josh Martin last week!
11:18 AM on 09/12/13
TheRealJohnOC
@BehindtheCade Seen over 730 bands!
User Info.
Kellen will be a bust tonight. Also, not sold on Pryor. Picked up Brent Celek. Pretty sure Daniel would proud of me for doing that. Chip Kelly has a high powered offense (4 plays in a minute) and Vick has a lot of weapons. It'll take defenses a few weeks to figure them out or to even catch up.
12:35 PM on 09/12/13
Johnny Minardi
User Info.
Soupy, I love how in depth your thoughts are on this! Fully agree on everything. See you Saturday
12:57 PM on 09/12/13
thatwasamoment
RICH GANNON WAR WAGON
User Info.
i picked up winslow as my security blanket until gronk comes back
01:22 PM on 09/12/13
deadjean
Tie Me Up! Untie Me!
User Info.
Hope soupy is right about Edelman. Just got him in a trade and I'm planning on starting him right away. With Amendola down he's bound to do well.
You TRADED for Edelman??? I hope you didn't trade much. once amendola and gronk are both back his value drop significantly.
01:41 PM on 09/12/13
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
Soupy, I love how in depth your thoughts are on this! Fully agree on everything. See you Saturday
You going to Riot?
01:43 PM on 09/12/13
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
Kellen will be a bust tonight. Also, not sold on Pryor. Picked up Brent Celek. Pretty sure Daniel would proud of me for doing that. Chip Kelly has a high powered offense (4 plays in a minute) and Vick has a lot of weapons. It'll take defenses a few weeks to figure them out or to even catch up.
No way he is gonna be a bust. He's the most trusted receiver for a rookie QB. He'll have another 7-10 catches and hopefully a TD. I picked him up in my PPR league...total no-brainer. And I have Gronk so I'm actually starting Winslow this week. Pats have trouble covering TEs too.
03:15 PM on 09/12/13
TheRealJohnOC
@BehindtheCade Seen over 730 bands!
User Info.
No way he is gonna be a bust. He's the most trusted receiver for a rookie QB. He'll have another 7-10 catches and hopefully a TD. I picked him up in my PPR league...total no-brainer. And I have Gronk so I'm actually starting Winslow this week. Pats have trouble covering TEs too.
There's no other weapons on the Jets. NE will keep a keen eye if Kellen gets targeted quite a bit tonight. I'd say maybe 5 receptions for 35 yards and no TDs. Clyde Gates could have a monster game tonight. It'll be one of those games where the dark horse will shine just like Ogletree for the Cowboys week 1 last season vs the Giants.
05:01 PM on 09/12/13
Micah511
I don't wanna simmer down.
User Info.
You TRADED for Edelman??? I hope you didn't trade much. once amendola and gronk are both back his value drop significantly.
he was mainly thrown in to secure the trade. i traded russell wilson, steven jackson and jermichael finley for chris johnson, eli manning, julius thomas, daryl richardson and edelman. worth noting i already had vick and was planning on starting him over Russell anyway.
08:50 PM on 09/12/13
Johnny Minardi
User Info.
Absolutely!
08:52 PM on 09/12/13
Johnny Minardi
User Info.
There's no other weapons on the Jets. NE will keep a keen eye if Kellen gets targeted quite a bit tonight. I'd say maybe 5 receptions for 35 yards and no TDs. Clyde Gates could have a monster game tonight. It'll be one of those games where the dark horse will shine just like Ogletree for the Cowboys week 1 last season vs the Giants.
Wow you're so on pace for your Kellen call! Pretty awesome
08:52 PM on 09/12/13
Johnny Minardi
User Info.
Is Dobson trying NOT to catch the ball? He's doing awesome if that's the case.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos