AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: Goldenboy - 09.05.13

Goldenboy - 09.05.13

Interviewed by
Goldenboy - 09.05.13The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Goldenboy

facebook.com/goldenboybergen
reverbnation.com/goldenboybergen
soundcloud.com/goldenboybergen
myspace.com/goldenboy
twitter.com/goldenboybergen

1. How did you get your band name?
We got the idea for the band name Goldenboy after watching an episode of the legendary Seinfeld. In this episode he calls his favorite shirt "Goldenboy." It´s a shirt that he just won´t get rid of, despite how old and worn out it gets...

2. How did this band get started?
Lead singer Toke (Torkel Hofslett Thowsen) and bass-player Nils H. Flåm had been playing in another band for a couple of years, who broke up due to different circumstances. When Toke started college to study teaching & music, he met BT (drummer) and Gaute (ex. guitar player), and Nils and Toke suddenly felt the urge to rock again. BT and Gaute wanted to join, and Goldenboy started up a late night during fall 1999.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
Goldenboy, especially Toke and Nils, were very influenced by the So Cal 90s punk rock scene, listening to Lagwagon, No Use, Ten Foot Pole, NOFX, Pennywise etc. all day long. We are also big fans of the Swedish punk rock scene from the 90s, bands like Millencolin and No Fun At All have always been a huge inspiration. Combining this with our love for 80s hair metal bands like Poison, White Lion & Motley Crue, and a certain blue album coming from Weezer in '94, add a hint of the Beach Boys, and a dash of newer rock and punkrock bands, and I think that´s it. With a twist. A shiny, Norwegian twist. That´s Goldenboy for you.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
Tony Sly and No Use For a Name. Still very sad after he passed away last year, and I think I will miss his songs and songwriting for the rest of my life. Still putting on some No Use and his solo tunes almost everyday. Brings a tear to my eye. I saw them live two times in a year when I lived in Madrid some years ago, both of the gigs made me cry like a baby, I am now 36 years old, and not even a bit embarrassed They were just so good live. So tight. So real. With such great punk rock songs...

5. Best food to eat on tour?
We were touring the US four years in a row, but that´s a long time ago now. Back then, we were very excited whenever a Taco Bell or Del Taco showed up along the highway. The last few years, we´ve been touring more in Europe, and we´re getting kinda old, so now we love the taste of a home cooked meal.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
Because we´re real. We`ve been doing this since 1999, and even though we`ve changed a bit a long the way, we still have the same focus: catchy melodies, a pop twist in a rocking package. Going to a Goldenboy show will make you smile, hum, and make you feel like you`re a part of the party. Because you are.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?
Our drummer BT (Bjørn Tore Taranger) is actually an athlete. He´s a Norwegian Champion in ultra running (maybe that´s why we´re not that into Taco Bell anymore…?). But don´t know if I would have wanted to swap places with him, running 100K a day... So I guess my answer would have to be: a Stoke City football (soccer) player!

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
I would have had to thank all the haters back in 1999/2000, who thought we wouldn´t be around for more than a week or two. We´re still here, and we are still annoying. I would also have to thank my mom. My brother. And my beautiful girl. And Nils & BT of course.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
Bring back requests to the radio. And bring back the bands. The guitars. The loud drums and the pounding bass.

10. Memorable tour experience?
Our first US Tour in 2001. All booked from Norway. By us. We had no contacts, no record deal, we knew nobody and nobody knew us. Ended up playing 5 gigs in 3 weeks. The rest of the days and nights, we partied.... The next three summers were better booking wise, and we played about 80 gigs in 25 states these years… Our latest trips to Holland, Germany and Poland have also been quite memorable.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
It´s a great place to check out new bands, and news about the old bands! It keeps the punk community alive, and it is open for any kind of -core.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
Right now I have to say a new song we got called "Reality Check-In." It has nice riff, great hook and it is not that hard to sing I have a tendency to write songs nowadays which are a bit rough on the vocals… Playing our Weezer-ish slow song "The Gentle Approach" is also fun. I work as a teacher, and I got some of my pupils, 12-13 year olds, to sing with me on the record. They also did a great job live when we had the release party last Saturday.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
I lived in Madrid for a year, and visited a lot of different places there during my stay. Since then, I´ve been a Spain fan.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Bon Jovi and their first two albums. I had them both on cassette, and knew every line… My first CDs were Alannah Myles (Black Velvet, yak!) and Poison "Open Up and Say Aaah!"

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
Travel back in time maybe? Stroll down the Sunset in the 80s and going to shows at the So Cal punk rock venues in the 90s!

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
We get together in a circle (we´re only a three piece now, so it´s a quite small one…) and scream out a chosen slogan for the night. Last gig it was: "PLEASE HELP ME!" (was a bit nervous that night…)

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
That we were "very close" signing to Sony Music back in 2003… Well, that never happened, did it?

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?
I think I answered that in question 9. I almost never listen to the radio anymore… It SHOULD be a place where our band could flourish. But it isn´t… Do we sound like grumpy, bitter, old men now? That´s right. We are.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Watch football (soccer, that is…), watch movies and tv series, hang out with friends, family and girlfriend, take it easy and play FIFA on my new Playstation!

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
Don´t think there´s a lot… If I have any talents, I guess I like showing them off a bit too much, so they´re not that hidden anymore…

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6
03:25 PM on 10/13/13
OouNlxFovA
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
<a href=http://groch.com/serv/#30608>buy tramadol</a> buy tramadol online legit - tramadol hydrochloride 50mg for dogs side effects
01:47 AM on 10/14/13
KiMDNhHdnn
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
browse tramadol 50mg generic for ultram - buy tramadol cod online
04:58 AM on 10/14/13
plLcCxjFtk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
<a href=http://groch.com/serv/#45172>more helpful hints</a> what's maximum dosage tramadol - 2 50 mg tramadol
07:05 PM on 10/17/13
whosyclacuachay
User Info.
02:32 PM on 10/18/13
PRSKhJdiiM
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
cheap tramadol tramadol hcl for migraines - tramadol withdrawal dogs

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives