01:20 PM on 09/27/13
Chris Collum
Strangers to ourselves.
User Info.
This is a fucking great album
06:41 PM on 09/29/13
Whatareyoudylan
User Info.
This album is definitely a grower, but those are the best albums. Lyrically it is almost void of any metaphors and wordplay that Jeremy is well known for. He pretty much explains that on "To Write Content" though. I was surprised to see there was no mention that "Non-Fiction" is partly "Steps", but slowed down. Just a lot of "and then the guitars came crashing down" kind of talk with some flashy adjectives. I really got nothing from this review. Also, just because there is a "talking" part in a post-hardcore song: it has to be Aaron Weiss right??? People said the same thing about Wildlife.

It's weird for me to listen to their first album and hear how pessimistic Jeremy sounded, how raw the recording was, and how they changed keys two and possibly even three times in a song. This isn't the TA that people may have been expecting, but that's not a bad thing. After all they are (and this album will cement them) in the top rungs of their genre. Oh, and I was stoked that the production on this was a lot more natural-sounding than on their last release.
06:51 PM on 09/29/13
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
This album is definitely a grower, but those are the best albums. Lyrically it is almost void of any metaphors and wordplay that Jeremy is well known for. He pretty much explains that on "To Write Content" though. I was surprised to see there was no mention that "Non-Fiction" is partly "Steps", but slowed down. Just a lot of "and then the guitars came crashing down" kind of talk with some flashy adjectives. I really got nothing from this review. Also, just because there is a "talking" part in a post-hardcore song: it has to be Aaron Weiss right??? People said the same thing about Wildlife.

It's weird for me to listen to their first album and hear how pessimistic Jeremy sounded, how raw the recording was, and how they changed keys two and possibly even three times in a song. This isn't the TA that people may have been expecting, but that's not a bad thing. After all they are (and this album will cement them) in the top rungs of their genre. Oh, and I was stoked that the production on this was a lot more natural-sounding than on their last release.
thank you for your insight.

this is actually what I wrote about about Non Fiction: "The colossal build of “Non Fiction” is reminiscent of The Appleseed Cast and the finest example of Touché Amoré’s maturation as musicians. Steinhardt and Stevens needling guitar riffs pierce through the song’s sludginess."

see nothing about me saying the "guitars came crashing down" for that song I also wrote nothing about Aaron Weiss.
06:56 PM on 09/29/13
nowFace
Merry xmas from The Sopranos.
User Info.
I said Aaron Weiss. And I listen to a lot of Post Hardcore...you can't deny that sounds EXACTLY like Aaron at the beginning of Non Fiction. Sorry Dylan.
11:32 PM on 09/30/13
Whatareyoudylan
User Info.
thank you for your insight.

this is actually what I wrote about about Non Fiction: "The colossal build of “Non Fiction” is reminiscent of The Appleseed Cast and the finest example of Touché Amoré’s maturation as musicians. Steinhardt and Stevens needling guitar riffs pierce through the song’s sludginess."

see nothing about me saying the "guitars came crashing down" for that song I also wrote nothing about Aaron Weiss.
Sorry, I think I came off like a douche about that. Thank you for not being a douche back. I just meant that I don't get in reviews when the reviewer describes vaguely what the instruments do in the song. Like maybe there is a kid somewhere in a small town who read your review and is getting stoked about the bass line being "buoyant". Also, I know you didn't say anything about Aaron Weiss...I've been on this site for 2-ish years and still don't know how to multi-quote : l
11:33 PM on 09/30/13
Whatareyoudylan
User Info.
I said Aaron Weiss. And I listen to a lot of Post Hardcore...you can't deny that sounds EXACTLY like Aaron at the beginning of Non Fiction. Sorry Dylan.
Actually when I heard it I thought it was a sample haha. Is that just me?
05:13 PM on 10/07/13
kicky0urpunches
Rock Bottom Records
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Great album as a whole, definitely top 10 for the year so far, but not stoked on the lyrics, they are pretty lame in some of the songs.
08:20 PM on 10/07/13
Chris Collum
Strangers to ourselves.
User Info.
This record keeps getting better and better, goddamn
10:40 AM on 10/08/13
ilovesofie
was I good to you, wife of my youth
User Info.
This record keeps getting better and better, goddamn
indeed, just flat out fantastic
10:21 PM on 10/08/13
0NTH3SLY
User Info.
This record really surprised me in that it elaborated on what they were doing with their previous releases. I kind of thought they had explored their sound fully, but this is rad.
11:39 PM on 10/08/13
finfan238
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This gets a 9.8, yet ADTR gets a 7? Man..
10:42 AM on 10/09/13
subplotofcrows
A Small Spark Vs. A Great Forest
User Info.
This is a better record than Common Courtesy.
02:16 PM on 10/20/13
Vance Mook
Fastest Kid in School
User Info.

This is a better record than Common Courtesy.

Like, miles better.
03:27 PM on 10/20/13
The_Effort
User Info.
Great review. Haven't checked the album out yet, but I will be immediately. I loved both of their previous releases
07:30 PM on 12/04/13
IPixedYouu
Shake it off
User Info.
Fantastic album by a great band. This record is just as good as the others.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos