AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Jamies Elsewhere - Guidebook for Sinners Turned Saints Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.5
Musicianship 4
Lyrics 4
Production 5.5
Creativity 2
Lasting Value 4
Reviewer Tilt 5.5
Final Verdict: 46%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.79
Musicianship 9.57
Lyrics 9.71
Production 9.54
Creativity 8.93
Lasting Value 9.64
Reviewer Tilt 9.29
Average: 95%
Inside AP.net

Jamies Elsewhere - Guidebook for Sinners Turned Saints

Reviewed by: Adam Pfleider (06/16/08)
Jamies Elsewhere - Guidebook for Sinners Turned Saints
Record Label: Victory Records
Release Date: May 27, 2008

With every genre, whether it was the beginnings of rap or the early '90's grunge scene, it will eventually be flooded and listeners will be submerged in artists with records they could have sworn they've already heard before.

Welcome to the new Victory Records line-up, Jamies Elsewhere. Victory has finally sunk their wallets into Craig Owens territory, and like much of the muck that's splattered across MySpace, Purevolume and even AbsolutePunk.net, expect a lot of the expected.

Keyboards: check. Sick half-time breakdowns: check. Low-pitch growls to glass-shattering high frequency chorus vocals: double check!

Guidebook for Sinners Turned Saints, the band's full-length debut, will fit nicely between Chiodos' Bone Palace Ballet and The Devil Wears Prada's Plagues in the record collection of flat-lining nu-nu-metal fans everywhere.

"Life Ain't Easy When You're A Mythical Creature," starts the album with a pretty piano intro (yawn) right into a dueling catastrophic guitar breakdown and dual screams and singing. Is this sounding familiar yet?

"I Didn't Mean to Interrupt...," "Late Nights," and "The Love Letter Collection" all run together. When the listener thinks the screams will get ditched for Mayday Parade power-pop at the end of "The Love Letter Collection," those bellows find their way in the song by the end.

"The Saint, the Sword, the Savior," sounds like the band got heavy into Mae for a week, and adds a change-up to the albums beginning, possibly standing out as the best track of the entire album, though lyrically weak.

Don't fret screamo-boppers, "The Politics of Knife Fighting" pounds out a nice intro breakdown and growling vocals to bring you out of that confusing transition you were just in, even though the keyboard has some shining moments on this track, like it jumped in front of the band for some lime-light.

There's much of the same until the acoustic/stringed closer "Memories Make Good Company." Completely unexpected as an ender in terms of timbre and lack of brutality, but just another second rate emo-ballad to the trained ear.

Jamies Elsewhere is unfortunately another drop in the puddle of an increasingly flooded market that hasn't crashed. For those into this kind of thing, it'll hold over until the new Underoath disc puts the rest to shame, otherwise just chalk up another weekly artist signed to Victory Records.

Recommended if You LikeChiodos' Bone Palace Ballet; The Devil Wears Prada's Plauges; Mayday Parade's A Lesson in Romantics

myspace.com/jamieselsewhere

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 21.
08:11 PM on 06/17/08
DrewSkylinepres
skylinepress(dot)net
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
GOD THIS REVIEWER IS HORRIBLE... THIS KID MUST BE SOME SORT OF IDIOT... Highbeamreview.com was done by A much better reviewer for sure. Hahaha
08:16 PM on 06/17/08
Adam Pfleider
wait. what were we talking about?
User Info.
GOD THIS REVIEWER IS HORRIBLE... THIS KID MUST BE SOME SORT OF IDIOT... Highbeamreview.com was done by A much better reviewer for sure. Hahaha

funny!!!!
08:32 PM on 06/17/08
DrewSkylinepres
skylinepress(dot)net
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Hahaha <333
08:45 PM on 06/17/08
hockeyguitar99
Prison Strength
User Info.
i'm confused as to how mayday parade fits in with the rest of your RIYL section, they sound nothing like chiodos or the devil wears prada
09:27 PM on 06/17/08
Adam Pfleider
wait. what were we talking about?
User Info.
i'm confused as to how mayday parade fits in with the rest of your RIYL section, they sound nothing like chiodos or the devil wears prada

the melodic parts reminded me of them. But the album fits more toward the former two. sry about the confusion.
09:29 PM on 06/17/08
hockeyguitar99
Prison Strength
User Info.
the melodic parts reminded me of them. But the album fits more toward the former two. sry about the confusion.

no problem

i was just wondering
12:30 AM on 06/18/08
punkrockmedic
User Info.
This band is atrocious live.
10:27 PM on 06/19/08
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
You are seriously one of the most annoying people I have ever come across.
01:04 AM on 06/20/08
DrewSkylinepres
skylinepress(dot)net
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
You are seriously one of the most annoying people I have ever come across.

Awww! You're cute! :)
01:33 AM on 06/20/08
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
Please leave here and go back to your shitty site.
09:24 AM on 06/20/08
DrewSkylinepres
skylinepress(dot)net
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Please leave here and go back to your shitty site.

You're just super! I like you.
06:14 PM on 06/20/08
PermanentTourists
User Info.
No Avatar Selected

I agree that you sir are a fucking idiot. Go away
07:41 AM on 06/22/08
Kbm600
Here, It Never Snowed
User Info.
I don't see anything worth reading in this interview. But I did anyway, all you did was compare artist after artist. Could you imagine if everyone did that on every fucking interview? Sure if you go in thinking this'll sound like that, or anything close to that. We're going to start comparing out the ying-yang. We could practically do that with fifty plus albums. But I have a pretty good feeling that no one would enjoy a constant comparison of bands, acting like it's a review.

I've enjoyed a bit of this album, I find it really crude that you decided to waste your time just to review an album by comparing it to everything else. Maybe we should do that with every new album that gets released, wouldn't that be fun?
08:51 PM on 07/03/08
dwn4whateva
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This reviewer didn't even listen to the album, I totally disagree with this review! this band is actually a cut above the rest! I know what happened the reviewer must be a Victory hater and deducted 30% from the overall review to spite Victory. oh and in my opinion they sound nothing like mayday or Devil Wears Prada. first off Devil Wears Prada is horrible! I will give you Chiodos but I am sorry in my opinion they can compete! in fact this album is way better than the first Chiodos album!

check our www.planet-loud.com for a proper review!
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums