AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
General Announcement News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
General Announcement
Inside AP.net

CHVRCHES' Lauren Mayberry Sounds Off on Online...

Posted by: Drew Beringer (09/30/13)
Lauren Mayberry (vocalist for CHVRCHES) has written an excellent op-ed for The Guardian discussing why she will not tolerate online misogyny. It's a must-read article on a very important topic in today's society.
What I do not accept, however, is that it is all right for people to make comments ranging from "a bit sexist but generally harmless" to openly sexually aggressive. That it is something that "just happens". Is the casual objectification of women so commonplace that we should all just suck it up, roll over and accept defeat? I hope not. Objectification, whatever its form, is not something anyone should have to "just deal with".

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 73
12:31 PM on 09/30/13
Jeff_Ryan
easy come and easy go, whatever
User Info.
The way people talk to her, and pretty much all females in the industry, is disgusting. Claire Boucher (Grimes) wrote a similar piece last year and got all the same "learn to deal with it" responses. I will never understand where people learn to talk to others like this.

[Sidenote - totally obsessed with this band. I saw them twice this year and couldn't be happier with the album]
12:33 PM on 09/30/13
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
seriously this shit is so fucked up
My current favourites from the latter category include:

"This isn't rape culture. You'll know rape culture when I'm raping you, bitch"

"I have your address and I will come round to your house and give u anal and you will love it you twat lol"

"Act like a slut, getting treated like a sluy [sic]"

"It's just one of those things you'll need to learn to deal with. If you're easily offended, then maybe the music industry isn't for you"
12:39 PM on 09/30/13
Symphonicaxiom
Tell me it's you or nothing at all
User Info.
again, i'm really pro "kill all humans," so it may be kind of moot, but you'd think people could at least summon up the decency to make me be crazy and wrong for wanting them dead.
12:42 PM on 09/30/13
Holly HoX!
User Info.
A great piece of writing that shouldn't have to be written.
12:43 PM on 09/30/13
phaynes1
AP.NET ILLUMINATI
User Info.
Fucking disgusting. Pathetic this is something that we still deal with as a culture.
12:45 PM on 09/30/13
kwhiteside01
User Info.
I have so much respect for her after reading that.
12:50 PM on 09/30/13
TheRealJohnOC
@BehindtheCade Seen 701 bands live!
User Info.
Give you anal?

Oh lord.
12:53 PM on 09/30/13
anamericangod
User Info.
Those comments are horrendous.
12:53 PM on 09/30/13
luvsickcatalyst
wander eyes, ocean high.
User Info.
She gets my utmost respect for this. I've thought for ages that teaching the pitfalls of rape culture alongside a good sex ed program is absolutely necessary in schools and Lauren is one of far too many living examples that starting such a program is not only needed, but vital. I hope, like I hoped with Grimes's testimonial last year, that this goes somewhere and gets at least a few people thinking of their words.
12:57 PM on 09/30/13
Toner
I'll Always Never Know
User Info.
I actually got into Chvrches after seeing the last post on here, which was sadly about the singer receiving this abuse.

I can only hope that some good comes from her having to confront this moronic behaviour and more people discover their music.
01:01 PM on 09/30/13
jjm1
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
"Why are female musicians expected to put up with this?" Unfortunately they have to for now because it's a first amendment right for these idiots to say almost whatever they want with no repercussions. These comments are nothing new but these days every person can actually contact a performer personally through twitter, facebook, etc which was impossible 15 years ago. What is a shame is that the comments are overwhelmingly positive, but obviously a ridiculous one like "This isn't rape culture. You'll know rape culture when I'm raping you, bitch" will pretty much negate the previous 100 positive comments and i bet its the idiotic/scary ones she will never forget (if i was her i most definitely report that person as it seems like a direct threat) Basically, technology is developing light years ahead of the law and its scary.
01:02 PM on 09/30/13
Jeff_Ryan
easy come and easy go, whatever
User Info.
"Why are female musicians expected to put up with this?" Unfortunately they have to for now because it's a first amendment right for these idiots to say almost whatever they want with no repercussions. These comments are nothing new but these days every person can actually contact a performer personally through twitter, facebook, etc which was impossible 15 years ago. What is a shame is that the comments are overwhelmingly positive, but obviously a ridiculous one like "This isn't rape culture. You'll know rape culture when I'm raping you, bitch" will pretty much negate the previous 100 positive comments and i bet its the idiotic/scary ones she will never forget (if i was her i most definitely report that person as it seems like a direct threat) Basically, technology is developing light years ahead of the law and its scary.
Threatening to rape somebody isn't actually covered by the first amendment though
01:03 PM on 09/30/13
domotime2
Like You Know Whatever
User Info.
I think eventually the internet is just going to have to become more and more non-anonymous. That's the real issue I think. although the misogynist culture is still a large part of it, I think the fact that the internet remains to be this thing involving 'screenames' and 'usernames' and 'nicknames' allows people to say whatever they want without any consequence.

I'd say that 90% of the controversial things that are said on the internet wouldn't be said by the actual person in real life. This can range from a very respectful debate over politics and sports which we have in these forums all the time, to gross, threatening comments like Lauren is receiving.

Now if Lauren has the names of these people, than I think she is in the right to release the names of these people
01:16 PM on 09/30/13
OctoberOrigins
Jack
User Info.
huh? First of all, this isn't a "free speech" issue. This isn't really about any legal issue at all. It's about decency and respect.

(Also, it's worth noting that "first amendment right" is even less relevant, as the band is from the UK and are more successful outside the US than in it).

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos