OFWGKTA
05 FUCK EM
User Info.
I happily jacked off to this album.
06:51 PM on 10/26/13
Corey Hoffy
I refuse to spend life on my knees
User Info.
I wouldn't call this "generic" per se, I think "4x4" in particular has a pretty unique production style. It just sounds awful.

Miley Cyrus took control of her career, approached producers she wanted on her terms - I think it was about as "DIY" as you can expect in the pop world. I definitely, without a doubt, do not think that DIY is an integral component of "punk" under any definition. Those four decades are colored with a much larger number of artists operating in tandem with establishment agents. "Going against the establishment" is fucking pointless if you're not getting people to think. That's a useless argument and I'm surprised you're making it without realizing that.

Putting old ideas in new contexts is extremely important and is exactly what Kanye does lol. He appropriates soul music for production, industrial for Yeezus, etc. These are old ideas given new life by a different context. Miley playing with and subverting ideas as a sexually liberated, race-bending female pop star is an important development and to dismiss those facts as not being "punk" because...why? What political acts qualify as "punk" if not challenging prejudices and ideas about "virginal white women" and the "oversexed" black? How is this not punk to do? Dismissing this out of hand the way you are is really weird to me. You admit that punk is about challenging the establishment - that's what she's doing. She's acting in a way that the system of oppression would avoid and wants to punish via social mockery. I don't get it. So mainstream =/= establishment? Systemic patriarchy and racism doesn't exist or isn't present in pop music? Not following your points. I think this is weirdly tinged with an affirmation of the status quo where she should conform to what you expect and leave punk to the "real" punks, who fit your strangely narrow definition of that word and seems bound to white men as being the sole people towork in that framing.

I just don't understand.l
This is probably one of the best responses I've ever read. Really helped me understand your view point even more. As for the album, I have to admit that I'm biased against her, and I haven't even bothered listening to it. For some reason, all of her attention-seeking antics just annoy the shit out of me, and I can't get past it enough to listen to her music.

Great review though, and you're obviously extremely intelligent and insightful.
07:15 PM on 10/26/13
Ryan Dennehy
This is probably one of the best responses I've ever read. Really helped me understand your view point even more. As for the album, I have to admit that I'm biased against her, and I haven't even bothered listening to it. For some reason, all of her attention-seeking antics just annoy the shit out of me, and I can't get past it enough to listen to her music.

Great review though, and you're obviously extremely intelligent and insightful.
thanks a lot man. I can totally see where someone would be irritated by it. Thanks for reading!
12:14 AM on 04/05/14
Ravnwood
User Info.
I actually like this. Oh well!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News