Password

Album Review

Citizen/Turnover - Split Album Cover

Citizen/Turnover - Split

Reviewed by
Citizen/Turnover - Split
Label - Run For Cover Records
Release Date - May 22nd, 2012
Why am I reviewing this? I guess my reason would be since this release, both bands have taken massive leaps and turns in their respective (and very promising) careers. Both Citizen and Turnover have evolved as groups two-fold with this split lying between two respective releases. With this split, it is easy to see why Citizen and Turnover are known as two of the most potentially fulfilling bands in the genre.

Let’s look at Citizen for a second. With their contribution to this great split is obvious from the second that personal favorite “Drown” begins. With Citizen’s 2011 Young States release, we were enchanted with a sound resembling more of a pop-punk style, with its angst filled vocals and 90’s emo hooks. This time around, Citizen have dug even deeper into that angst. Vocalist Matt Kerekes’ raspy and engaging vocals in “Drown” resemble those of a mental breakdown, only supported by the pace pushing guitars. “Drown” is a statement made by Citizen, showing that they have matured entirely over a very short period of time. Their second and final contribution “I’m Sick of Waiting” includes a nice change of pace with melodic guitar breaks, emphasizing the overall mood that Kerekes is setting with lines of:

“I’ll pick myself apart, because I couldn’t care at all.”

This song also clarifies just how significant a year can be for such a young, promising band like Citizen, as they have clearly elevated their game even higher with their 2013 release “Youth”.

Now, to Turnover’s half. Like Citizen, Turnover really stepped up their game in between their 2011 self-titled release and this split. Again, the vocal department is what has noticeably improved, as Austin Getz reaches new highs throughout his cries of desperation in “No Sun”. “Permanent” is a track that reminds us that Turnover can really revive the 90’s sound, while associating with the heavy guitars and fast paced (and dominating) drums. Turnover switch up the tempo quite a lot in what happens to be a very small time frame, and it is definitely an exciting listen throughout.

Both bands are unquestionably on a roll, with both releasing impressive full length debut’s in 2013. Given the fact that Citizen and Turnover proved just how much a year can make a difference, time can only tell just how solid their next releases will be.

8/10

Strengths:
1) Vocals
2) Instrumentally both bands are significantly tighter
3) Solid Production

Weaknesses:
1) Lyrics at times are very bland
2) Leaves more to be desired (which really isn’t a weakness)
This review is a user submitted review from HanLuk. You can see all of HanLuk's submitted reviews here.

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version