AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Beartooth - Sick Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.75
Musicianship 7.75
Lyrics 8.25
Production 8
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 7.5
Reviewer Tilt 7.75
Final Verdict: 79%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Beartooth - Sick

Reviewed by: iamalexenglish (10/19/13)
Beartooth - Sick
Record Label: Red Bull Records
Release Date: July 26th, 2013

Caleb Shomo (ex vocalist for Attack Attack!) left claiming he couldn't take the pressure of being in a bigger band and people bashing his vocals. As a result, he formed Beartooth with some members of My Ticket Home as a joke apparently but then got three new members. He took his career in a different path and he's getting viewed in a different way for it.

Caleb Shomo has gotten a lot more respect for Beartooth than he ever would've with Attack Attack! I was a big fan of Attack Attack! but there were many who couldn't stand them. Beartooth shows us Shomo's full potential with a This Is War style to it.

The opening track on Sick is titled "I Have A Problem", a song about being an alcoholic. This track shows listeners Caleb Shomo at his finest right away. The way his unclean vocals are so gruff but in an enjoyable unique way, and the fact that he can sound so soft when he sings his clean choruses. The drums were promising in this song but I wasn't impressed with the guitar what so ever. The second track is titled "Go Be the Voice", a song about being a voice for God. This song really sticks out on the album, first off the fact Caleb can still praise the Lord after all he's been through is truly inspirational. Second, the drums really stuck out to me once again. They aren't necessarily complex but they just fit perfectly with the melody of the song. Third, Caleb Shomo kills the chorus on this song. The chorus to "Go Be the Voice" makes me feel like I'm listening to a track that didn't make the self titled Attack Attack! album. The third track on the EP is called "Pick Your Poison", which was obviously made for the mosh pit. When you listen to this song the beginning makes me want to see Beartooth and mosh like crazy, but when the chorus comes on I just wanna jump and scream my lungs out. This is a great pump up song! The guitar got slowly better through the EP and the drums stayed solid. The final track is titled "Set Me on Fire," which closed the album on an extremely weak note. There was barely any melody in the song, it felt like they just through something together real quick so they could get their EP out.

Overall, I think this band has extreme amounts of potential. They could create a fantastic album and I believe they will. This EP was great and I feel they rushed it, so if they had time and maybe a different label behind them I think they will surprise a lot of people with a new album in two years or so.

Recommended If You Like Post-Hardcore; This Is War - Attack Attack!

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums