AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Doyle (ex-Misfits) - 10.19.13

Interviewed by
Doyle (ex-Misfits) - 10.19.13Iconic guitarist Doyle Wolfgang von Frankenstein spoke with us about the possibility of a Misfits reunion, touring and recording with Danzig, his new album Abominator, maintaining his physique and more.

You're currently on the road with Danzig for the second leg of his 25th anniversary tour. How has it been going so far?

Great, great. Great response. We're having a great time.

You've been doing these mini-reunions with Danzig for a few years now. How did it come about?

We had a meeting. Me and Jerry [Only, Misfits bassist] flew out to L.A. to talk to Glenn and his manager. We were gonna do the Misfits. We were gonna do an album, a tour and all that shit. Something happened, I guess, with those guys, and it didn't go through. About two years later, his personal assistant left me a message. "Call Glenn tomorrow at the office at 1:00. He's got something big to talk to you about." So I call him, and he said, "Hey, do you want to go on tour?" And I said, "Yes, I do." He says, "I've got a label. Do you have a demo?" I said, "Yes, I do." He said, "If I like it I'll put it out." So I sent it to him, and that was it.

What's it like playing these Misfits songs with him again after all these years?

It's like riding a bike, man. It's good to hear him sing them. It's cool. It's easy. I always say, I could play these songs riding a unicycle naked - and I ain't never rode a unicycle.

How did you decide which songs to play?

He does. That's how. [laughs]

What are your favorites?

All the ones we're not doing. [laughs]

Other than the size of the shows, what's the biggest difference between touring back then and touring today?

Food, money, buses, hotels. The shows are bigger. It's easier. Everything's better. No van. You get to lay down.

Is there any chance of you recording anything with Danzig?

We actually did something. I think we did it in April of this year. Some song he wrote, we recorded it. I don't know the name of it, I have not heard the lyrics. He made me play something, and I was just like, "What? What is this?" Then we got half way through it, and he's like, "Okay, that's half the song. Do you want to do it again or do you want me to just fly it over?" I'm like, "Fly it over." I couldn't get it. It was crazy. Then he looks at me and he's like, "Do you want to do a solo?" I look up at him like, "Nah, I'm going back to the hotel." [laughs] I don't blow solos out of my ass. I have to sit there and write them.

What was the vibe of the song?

It was bizarre. I don't know. I really couldn't... It's weird.

You mentioned that there's some bad blood between Jerry and Glenn.
Do you think there's any chance of a full Misfits reunion ever happening?

I'm in. You know, it's not me. Those two guys have to get their heads out of their asses. Let's do it, man.

How close are you with Jerry these days?

I love Jerry. He's my brother. I do. I love him probably more than anybody. I just can't work with the motherfucker. He's out of his mind. He doesn't understand my ideas are way better than his.

Switch gears a little bit: you released your first album as Doyle, Abominator, a few months back. Tell us a little bit about how that came to be.

Digitally it came out. It's coming out on the 29th on a hard copy with an extra song, called "Drawing Down the Moon," which is not available on digital download. It's a digipak, 3-foldout with a 16- or 18-page booklet with all the words and a bunch of pictures. I wrote a bunch of a "musical compositions" - they had no lyrics or vocal melodies, so that's what I like to call them - they were all arranged and demoed out. I called Alex [Story, vocalist] one day, and he was walking into a Danzig show in Houston when I called him. I said, "Hey, do you want to write with me?" He's like, "Fuck yeah! Send me everything." So I sent him three songs. One of them was "Mark of the Beast," which is on there. He sent that back in two days, just like it is on the record. I was like, "That's exactly it." We just starting rolling. We wrote 38 songs. We're almost down with the next record.

When do think that will see the light of day?

Probably about 9 months to a year after this one hits. It would have been done already, but with this Danzig tour I'm not done. Guitar and bass isn't done on a couple songs. I just have to finish it up.

Why did you decided to self-release the effort through your own label, Monsterman?

Because I don't want to wait 10 years for 70 cents a record. I'll take $7 a record right now today. I'm only going to sell this many records, and I want all the money. I want it all! [laughs] Fuck the labels. Fuck all that shit.

Do you ever see yourself going back to a label?

No. Unless they give me $1 million upfront, what the fuck would I do that for?

Do you plan on releasing material from other bands as well?

Eventually. Once we get a handle on what the fuck we're doing, definitely. We're gonna take bands that are on dogshit labels that want to do it once I can distribute it with label, and then give them all the money too.

Is there anyone you have in mind that you can mention?

No, I can't get people in trouble. [laughs]

Why the change from Gorgeous Frankenstein to Doyle?

My singer texted me one day saying, "I got an idea. Give me a call when you get a chance." He's totally out of his fucking mind, and you can take that to bank. [laughs] The dude's fucking nuts, and whatever he says I've gotta hear it. He's crazy, and talking to him just makes your day because he's whacked out of his fucking mind. So I pull the car over instantly and call him. He's like, "We've got to change the name of the band." I said, "Go on." He's like, "Let's change it to Doyle!" I'm like, "Are you sure you want to do that?" He said "Yeah." I'm like, "You sure?" He's like, "Yeah. Let's start fresh." So I did it that day, and it's working great.

Did you have any apprehension about naming the band after yourself?

You know, I was thinking about it at the same time he was, because nobody knew the Gorgeous Frankenstein name. We opened for Danzig for like a month, and we'd do the after-show meet and greet, and people would be like, "Wow, I didn't even know your band was playing." And we did a tour on our own; we had 50 people a night, and 49 of them would come up to me and say, "Wow, we didn't even know you had a band. We just came out tonight."

So you're putting it right out in the open?

Yeah. You gotta keep it simple, stupid. You can't make people think.

Do you have plans to tour after the Danzig run is over?

Yeah. As soon as we get that rolling, we're going to roll with that as much as we fucking possibly can.

Are you looking to headline?

No, not off the bat. I want to open for bigger bands.

Do you have anybody on your wishlist?

Yeah, but they're all jerking me off, so I'm not going to mention them. [laughs]

Do you guys play Misfits or Cancerslug songs?

If Alex wants to sing a Misfits song he can pick them out, and I'll pick out the Cancerslug songs, and we'll take it from there. Our songs our so long, I don't think we need to. I don't really want to, but I'll do it. I don't give a fucking shit.

Do you have any workout secrets to keep up your physique?

Just don't stop, man. Consistency. And eat good shit. Load up on your proteins.

Do you stick to a strict eating regimen?

I sure do. I have a pot of coffee in the morning. I have a bowl of oatmeal with cinnamon and honey in it. I have a protein shake and a handful of vitamins. I eat a couple protein bars all day and have a couple protein shakes. If I can get chicken breast or something for dinner, I'll eat it. And I'll eat dry roasted, unsalted peanuts.

Is there anything else you'd like to add?

I drink water too!

Displaying posts 1 - 10 of 10
01:52 PM on 10/25/13
suicidesaints
A Million F@$% Diamonds
User Info.
Why don't they just reform the Misfits already with a proper lineup? I'd love to see them play full sets of classic Misfits songs.
04:18 PM on 10/25/13
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
Why don't they just reform the Misfits already with a proper lineup? I'd love to see them play full sets of classic Misfits songs.
Jerry and Danzig can't get along. Hopefully it'll happen eventually.
03:36 PM on 10/26/13
suicidesaints
A Million F@$% Diamonds
User Info.
Jerry and Danzig can't get along. Hopefully it'll happen eventually.
Do you know what their beef is about?
04:43 PM on 10/26/13
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
Do you know what their beef is about?
Not the details. They had a legal battle over the use of the Misfits name and logo back before they reformed in the 90s. Jerry has the rights to the name (hence the reformation), but Danzig retains a portion of merchandising rights. Per the interview, there were talks of a full reunion a few years back, but they couldn't come to an agreement. Jerry says its Danzig's fault; Danzig says it's Jerry's fault. The specific point of contention remains unknown, but I think it's safe to assume that egos got in the way. There's still hope though.
06:31 PM on 10/26/13
suicidesaints
A Million F@$% Diamonds
User Info.
Not the details. They had a legal battle over the use of the Misfits name and logo back before they reformed in the 90s. Jerry has the rights to the name (hence the reformation), but Danzig retains a portion of merchandising rights. Per the interview, there were talks of a full reunion a few years back, but they couldn't come to an agreement. Jerry says its Danzig's fault; Danzig says it's Jerry's fault. The specific point of contention remains unknown, but I think it's safe to assume that egos got in the way. There's still hope though.
Gotcha. Glad to know there's still possibly a chance. I saw the Misfits with Jerry 4-5 years ago and it was pretty killer, but it'd really be great to see them all since I never got the chance.
04:12 PM on 10/27/13
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
Gotcha. Glad to know there's still possibly a chance. I saw the Misfits with Jerry 4-5 years ago and it was pretty killer, but it'd really be great to see them all since I never got the chance.
Yeah, I've seen the Misfits with Jerry a couple of times. His voice doesn't touch Danzig's (or Michale Graves', for that matter), but they still put on a fun show. However, after seeing Danzig sing the songs, there is no comparison.
04:14 PM on 10/27/13
Steeeve Perry
Pushin' th' little daisies
User Info.
Cool interview. Was it over the phone? I'd prefer to interview Doyle over the phone, he's intimidating.
10:38 AM on 10/28/13
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
Cool interview. Was it over the phone? I'd prefer to interview Doyle over the phone, he's intimidating.
It was in person! He was really nice. I don't usually ask for pictures when I do interviews, but I couldn't resist my inner fanboy.

04:15 PM on 10/28/13
Steeeve Perry
Pushin' th' little daisies
User Info.
It was in person! He was really nice. I don't usually ask for pictures when I do interviews, but I couldn't resist my inner fanboy.

That's awesome! It's good to know even though his persona is about being scary, he doesn't use it to be a dick!
I interviewed Mark "Chopper" Read once and he told me about murdering someone. This was about three years ago. The other day he died, and an Aussie TV show played his final interview, in which he confessed to the same murder (plus three more) and it was this big exclusive. It was always hard to tell if Chopper was telling the truth, but either way it was intimidating to interview him.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos