@_kellydoherty for the lolz
User Info.
Just to be clear, I am 100% in agreement. I wasn't mocking the idea at all
Oh no, I didn't think you were being sarcastic.. I was sincerely agreeing
03:36 PM on 10/28/13
Kelly Doherty
User Info.
this might be true if a little band called radiohead didn't exist....
I don't agree. Radiohead is more the previous generation in terms of music. Also, Radiohead still had a lot of off the wall stuff that was really niche. Arcade Fire have never created anything in any way inaccessible; they're far more representative of the indie scene since 2000 than Radiohead ever were of their scene.
03:43 PM on 10/28/13
Kelly Doherty
User Info.
some of radiohead's best an most critically acclaimed albums have come out after 2000

also dont think that inaccessibility should work against a band when talking about how influential they are considering, in the case of radiohead, that's why they're so influential. i mean, what is their "scene?" they dont have one, they operate in a lane of their own and they're one of the biggest bands in the world.
Critically acclaimed being key. I dunno. I never thought Radiohead were really a fan's band. I agree that they're influential, but that's what I mean; they're leaders of their own sound. I find Arcade Fire to be far more in line with the idea of super mega rock stars who embrace being the face of a generation. Radiohead never really bought into that, I guess.

It's all opinion though I never really got into Radiohead. I never really related to them.
03:46 PM on 10/28/13
Kelly Doherty
User Info.
Also, just putting it out there, I think "Afterlife" might be my favourite song ever.
04:00 PM on 10/28/13
Kelly Doherty
User Info.
i think every single radiohead album has been influential in some way. some more than others sure but to say the influence hasn't come from records like in rainbows and hail to the thief is kind of lying.
Most people associate Radiohead with the past. They're not active enough these days to be the band of my generation. I was a toddler when Radiohead were establishing the world beating fanbase. Arcade Fire are the band of the generation they came up in.
11:56 PM on 10/28/13
Kelly Doherty
User Info.
This comment is not about Reflektor, it is about this review. First of all, Kelly, ambiguity and vagueness are not the same, and neither is a compliment. Art that is purposefully vague so that its audience can project their own emotions onto it is cheap. An audience sees itself in good art because art requires truth to be good. Do you think Funeral or The Suburbs were written because Arcade Fire wanted to make emotive records that lots of people could relate to? They weren't. The reason so many have connected with those albums is because Arcade Fire hit record and bled. Second of all, do you realize only half of your review talked about the album at all? You spend as much time talking about the depravity of modern music as you do Reflektor's lyrics. (By the way, I've heard enough of that; the music of the past fifteen years, both mainstream and alternative, has been as strong, possibly stronger, than any pop music since the sixties). You also spend the same amount of space unnecessarily building up Arcade Fire's career into a kind of myth as you do talking about Reflektor's music. Third, your job as a critic is not to throw worshipful adjectives into the same sentences as song titles. It's to discuss the ambitions of a work of art and whether those ambitions have been achieved. The closest you come is mentioning Reflektor's "constant observations of death" (which is, by the way, not your only clunky sentence). What is the purpose of these observations? Where do they fit in this piece of art, perhaps as opposed to how death imagery works in Funeral? Are your friends and family the ones posting "well written review" in the comments? It baffles me. This review reads like a bad freshman composition paper.

Great job!
12:03 AM on 10/29/13
Kelly Doherty
User Info.
This comment is not about Reflektor, it is about this review. First of all, Kelly, ambiguity and vagueness are not the same, and neither is a compliment. Art that is purposefully vague so that its audience can project their own emotions onto it is cheap. An audience sees itself in good art because art requires truth to be good. Do you think Funeral or The Suburbs were written because Arcade Fire wanted to make emotive records that lots of people could relate to? They weren't. The reason so many have connected with those albums is because Arcade Fire hit record and bled. Second of all, do you realize only half of your review talked about the album at all? You spend as much time talking about the depravity of modern music as you do Reflektor's lyrics. (By the way, I've heard enough of that; the music of the past fifteen years, both mainstream and alternative, has been as strong, possibly stronger, than any pop music since the sixties). You also spend the same amount of space unnecessarily building up Arcade Fire's career into a kind of myth as you do talking about Reflektor's music. Third, your job as a critic is not to throw worshipful adjectives into the same sentences as song titles. It's to discuss the ambitions of a work of art and whether those ambitions have been achieved. The closest you come is mentioning Reflektor's "constant observations of death" (which is, by the way, not your only clunky sentence). What is the purpose of these observations? Where do they fit in this piece of art, perhaps as opposed to how death imagery works in Funeral? Are your friends and family the ones posting "well written review" in the comments? It baffles me. This review reads like a bad freshman composition paper.

Hold up. You joined the site to write this comment. Are you a member of Radiohead getting pissy because I don't think your band is the band of my generation? It's okay Thom, dance your rage away.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums