Username
Password

Album Review - Page 3
Displaying posts 30 - 45 of 82.
03:33 PM on 10/28/13
Jake Jenkins
~
User Info.
I'd argue Arcade Fire is more "our generation" and Radiohead is the last one though I know that generations are supposed to be every twenty years or something so that's a technically poor definition but whatever.
so what you're saying is radiohead transcends generations and i win? yeah THOUGHT SO
03:34 PM on 10/28/13
Chris Collum
No dumbass dove in my dumbass brain
User Info.
Good review Kelly, there are bits and pieces here and there I'd quibble with but overall this is great so no point haha. Probably my favorite review of yours I've read, you certainly did the album justice. If it were me I would have spent more time unpacking the lyrical themes here and how they relate to the album's sound, particularly the Haiti influence, but I also write notoriously overlong reviews haha. I also probably would have gone on a Classics nerd rant about the Orpheus & Eurydice myth that no one would want to read.

It's also admittedly pretty hard to wrap your head around the thematic elements of a record like this after only about five days max with it.
03:34 PM on 10/28/13
Chris Collum
User Info.
so what you're saying is radiohead transcends generations and i win? yeah THOUGHT SO
Well if you'd said "Band of Forever" yeah I doubt I'd argue bruh
03:36 PM on 10/28/13
Kelly Doherty
@_kellydoherty for the lolz
User Info.
this might be true if a little band called radiohead didn't exist....
I don't agree. Radiohead is more the previous generation in terms of music. Also, Radiohead still had a lot of off the wall stuff that was really niche. Arcade Fire have never created anything in any way inaccessible; they're far more representative of the indie scene since 2000 than Radiohead ever were of their scene.
03:37 PM on 10/28/13
Jake Jenkins
~
User Info.
I don't agree. Radiohead is more the previous generation in terms of music. Also, Radiohead still had a lot of off the wall stuff that was really niche. Arcade Fire have never created anything in any way inaccessible; they're far more representative of the indie scene since 2000 than Radiohead ever were of their scene.
some of radiohead's best an most critically acclaimed albums have come out after 2000

also dont think that inaccessibility should work against a band when talking about how influential they are considering, in the case of radiohead, that's why they're so influential. i mean, what is their "scene?" they dont have one, they operate in a lane of their own and they're one of the biggest bands in the world.
03:38 PM on 10/28/13
Chris Collum
User Info.
I bet a lot of people--particularly recent fans who first fell in love with the last record--will find the bulk of this release pretty "inaccessible."

Also minor editing note: The Suburbs came out in 2010 not 2009.
03:39 PM on 10/28/13
Chris Collum
User Info.
Said this in another thread today but In Rainbows is Radiohead's best album...so I guess I just contradicted my own previous argument. Whatever. It's all just opinionz anyway guyz
03:39 PM on 10/28/13
Jake Jenkins
~
User Info.
Said this in another thread today but In Rainbows is Radiohead's best album...so I guess I just contradicted my own previous argument. Whatever. It's all just opinionz anyway guyz
was gonna bring in rainbows being your fav up but decided against it hah
03:43 PM on 10/28/13
Kelly Doherty
User Info.
some of radiohead's best an most critically acclaimed albums have come out after 2000

also dont think that inaccessibility should work against a band when talking about how influential they are considering, in the case of radiohead, that's why they're so influential. i mean, what is their "scene?" they dont have one, they operate in a lane of their own and they're one of the biggest bands in the world.
Critically acclaimed being key. I dunno. I never thought Radiohead were really a fan's band. I agree that they're influential, but that's what I mean; they're leaders of their own sound. I find Arcade Fire to be far more in line with the idea of super mega rock stars who embrace being the face of a generation. Radiohead never really bought into that, I guess.

It's all opinion though I never really got into Radiohead. I never really related to them.
03:43 PM on 10/28/13
Chris Collum
User Info.
was gonna bring in rainbows being your fav up but decided against it hah
While it is my favorite I by no means think it's their most influential--all of the records from The Bends through Amensiac had more of an influence on popular music than IR did imo. And it's also obviously not their most popular by any means so while I personally think they peaked only sixish years ago in terms of the culture as a whole the peak of their influence/popularity/whatever would have been over a decade ago, hence my characterization of them not really being of our generation. Anyway, goddamn semantics anyway, both great and highly influential bands etc. etc.

While I prefer Radiohead's body of work as a whole to AF's, I'd take Funeral over any single Radiohead album easily though.
03:44 PM on 10/28/13
Jake Jenkins
~
User Info.
Critically acclaimed being key. I dunno. I never thought Radiohead were really a fan's band. I agree that they're influential, but that's what I mean; they're leaders of their own sound. I find Arcade Fire to be far more in line with the idea of super mega rock stars who embrace being the face of a generation. Radiohead never really bought into that, I guess.

It's all opinion though I never really got into Radiohead. I never really related to them.
i dont really see how anything you've said about radiohead works against them, but i guess its just opinion
03:45 PM on 10/28/13
Jake Jenkins
~
User Info.
While it is my favorite I by no means think it's their most influential--all of the records from The Bends through Amensiac had more of an influence on popular music than IR did imo. And it's also obviously not their most popular by any means so while I personally think they peaked only sixish years ago in terms of the culture as a whole the peak of their influence/popularity/whatever would have been over a decade ago, hence my characterization of them not really being of our generation. Anyway, goddamn semantics anyway, both great and highly influential bands etc. etc.

While I prefer Radiohead's body of work as a whole to AF's, I'd take Funeral over any single Radiohead album easily though.
id take at least 3 or 4 radiohead records over funeral

also i think you're severely underestimating the amount of influence and popularity radiohead have maintained over the last decade. like, very severely.
03:46 PM on 10/28/13
Kelly Doherty
User Info.
Also, just putting it out there, I think "Afterlife" might be my favourite song ever.
03:47 PM on 10/28/13
Steve_JustAGuy
www.justaguy.us
User Info.

Agreed, Funeral is so good it almost makes me cry.
03:49 PM on 10/28/13
lovemetal24
User Info.
i listen to this album and go, "how in the hell did they come up with the structures of these songs" it's so damn creative and different
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests