Username
Password
Album Info. News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Album Info.
Inside AP.net

Walter Senko's New EP Produced by Cone From Sum 41

Posted by: Jason Tate (10/28/13)
Walter Senko's new Cone McCaslin (Sum 41) produced EP, From a Liar, is now available to stream and purchase.

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
04:06 PM on 10/28/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
Press ReleaseHailing from Windsor, Ontario, singer-songwriter Walter Senko is a little left of pop. Think Supertramp meets Owl City, a kind of dramatic indie vibe. Produced in separate sessions by Cone McCaslin from multi-platinum rock band Sum 41 and guitarist Bill Bell (Jason Mraz, Justin Nozuka, Tara MacLean), his debut solo EP, From A Liar, has just been released worldwide, digitally, on music journalist Karen Bliss’ Daycare Records.

The EP features four songs produced by Cone — “Greatest Invention,” “We Are The Cure” and “Sell Out Your Secrets,” also co-written by him, plus “Life Without You” — and Bill produced “Sucker For Those Blue Eyes” and tweaked “Carry You.” “From A Liar To A Gem” is self-produced and is the song people in the music industry have labeled a potential hit, along the lines of Owl City’s “Fireflies.” Stream it here.

“When I first sat down to write songs with Walter, and then later produce songs for him, I realized right away he had a great sense of melody and for being so young at the time he also had very developed voice,” says Sum 41’s Cone. “He had a thousand ideas, so we just had to pick the best ones and tie everything together. A whole new feel and vibe started happening that we were really into so we just kept going. We wanted everything to just come naturally and that’s what happened. I think we achieved something very honest and fun.”

The first single, “From A Liar To A Gem,” had producers fighting to produce it. While a new version was attempted, the original demo had a certain charm and so it is that version that is on the EP. The lyric was inspired by a conversation Walter had with a girl he broke up with because he knew it ultimately wouldn’t work. “She asked me if I still had feelings. I lied and said, ‘No,’” the pianist and guitarist recalls. “So I had the title ‘From A Liar,’ but who was it to? I didn't want to put her name so I thought about the ideal word to describe her — gem. Gems are precious and hard to find.”

Another song, the punchier anthem “We Are The Cure” is based off philanthropist Rob Dyer’s Skate4Cancer and “dream love cure” motto that Walter turned into a lyric about realizing your own problems and doing what it takes to fix them. The monumental statement “The Greatest Invention” is about love, not necessarily between two people but as a whole.

“I tend to write about what I feel most, things that affect me so much that I just have to sit down at the piano or guitar,” says Walter. “I like to think people hear that in my songs and it’s the best feeling when they come up to me after a show and let me know that they identify with what I just sang.”

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos