AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review - Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 30 of 38.
05:35 AM on 11/05/13
Atavistic
User Info.
This album is really uninteresting. I can't decide if that's better or worse than being outright terrible.
09:11 AM on 11/05/13
SILYW
Canadian Mall Marriage 6000
User Info.
check out, at least, the first four or five songs from Decemberuderground. It's different, but those are some incredibly catch tunes.
Add Love Like Winter too, great new wave influence on that track.
06:24 AM on 11/06/13
jpmalone4
5 Meowmeowbeenz
User Info.
Huge letdown for me. Some tracks are OK - "I Hope You Suffer," "17 Crimes" and "Greater than 84" - but the rest of this is just really underwhelming. I especially cannot stand "Heart Stops," it definitely doesn't fit on this album and it just comes off as lazy.
06:32 AM on 11/06/13
subplotofcrows
A Small Spark Vs. A Great Forest
User Info.
Great review. I agree with everything said, however, "Heart Stops" is probably my favorite on the record. Record is definitely better than Crash Love and still better than DU.
07:13 AM on 11/06/13
fsmith84
Lock and load
User Info.
Great review and you're in for a HUGE treat having not heard the rest of their catalog.

If you prefer this sound to STS, then Decemberunderground might wind up being your favorite record. I still spin it fairly regularly and there are some songs (Summer Shudder, Missing Frame, Kill Caustic) that are right up there with the best songs they've ever written.

I think that album is still just a little bit better than Burials (and STS is better than either one), but Burials is definitely a grower. I'd be genuinely interested to see you review the rest of their catalog after hearing them.
09:27 AM on 11/06/13
Guitar138
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This album is really uninteresting. I can't decide if that's better or worse than being outright terrible.
Really? I find "Heart Stops" and "Wild" at times boring or out of place, but I think it's a fantastic album for AFI. I loved Crash Love as a dance-y, pop rock album but not as an AFI album. I feel like this one has the dark mood to it while still having some pop sensibilities attached. Overall I love listening to it and I find myself engaged in it, but I respect your opinion.
10:17 AM on 11/06/13
likedyingy0ung
I should have crashed the car
User Info.
Sing The Sorrow is an 11 if Burials is an 8.5 ...dont get me wrong I like the album, but nonetheless a pretty good review.
Sing The Sorrow is a 40 if Burials is an 8.5. The Art of Drowning and Black Sails are both 48's.
12:07 PM on 11/06/13
surgerone
User Info.
It's probably a very good thing that you weren't familiar with the rest of their catalog before listening to Burials - you avoided at least a decade of bias that I can't get rid of.

With that being said, this album is much, much better that CL, especially when AFI dips back into the punk game. The bassline on 17 Crimes could fit right in on AOD, and the song Anxious (which is one of my favorites on the album) is an interesting synth blend of old and new AFI.
12:13 PM on 11/06/13
Conrad89
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
IMHO this is their weakest effort since Black Sails. Something is just missing. STS, Decemberunderground and Crash Love were all so instantly memorable and cinematic, it feels as if they've taken a step back.
12:14 PM on 11/06/13
Conrad89
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
It's probably a very good thing that you weren't familiar with the rest of their catalog before listening to Burials - you avoided at least a decade of bias that I can't get rid of.

With that being said, this album is much, much better that CL, especially when AFI dips back into the punk game. The bassline on 17 Crimes could fit right in on AOD, and the song Anxious (which is one of my favorites on the album) is an interesting synth blend of old and new AFI.
Personally I just adored Crash Love. Not a popular album amongst AFI fans, that one.
02:00 PM on 11/06/13
Protested Hero
Jon
User Info.
Love it a ton. Haven't really liked anything since STS.
03:28 PM on 11/06/13
Steeeve Perry
Pushin' th' little daisies
User Info.
I remember everyone complaining bigtime when Sing The Sorrow came out, since it was another departure (toward pop). Black Sails in the Sunset is still their best album, but STS is good too.
03:30 PM on 11/06/13
Steeeve Perry
Pushin' th' little daisies
User Info.
IMHO this is their weakest effort since Black Sails. Something is just missing. STS, Decemberunderground and Crash Love were all so instantly memorable and cinematic, it feels as if they've taken a step back.
So, to clarify, you think Black Sails was as bad/worse than this, but the albums in between were better?
04:28 PM on 11/06/13
harsh reality
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
AFI peaked during the Shut Your Mouth to Art of Drowning era.

Everything before and after that has ranged from subpar to awful. Burials is just a "harder edged" version of Crash Love.

All the way down to the artwork.
05:08 PM on 11/06/13
sickydicky
outlander!
User Info.
Anberlin?
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates