AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Tour Dates News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Dessa Parts of Speech Tour Receives GreenNotes Grant

Posted by - 12:06 PM on 11/05/13
Dessa is setting off on the last leg of her Parts of Speech tour. This leg will be sponsored by a Clif Bar GreenNotes grant, a program that stands to support artists who aim to embed social change as part of their tours. The full press release is in the replies.

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6
12:06 PM on 11/05/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
11/7 – Lawrence, KS – Jackpot
11/8 – Columbia, MO – Mojo’s
11/9 – Norman, OK – OPOLIS
11/10 – Austin, TX – Fun Fun Fun Fest
11/11 – Houston, TX – Fitzgerald’s Downstairs
11/14 - Orlando, FL - Backbooth
11/15 – Jacksonville, FL – Jack Rabbits
11/15 – St. Petersburg, FL – Local 662
11/18 – Atlanta, GA – Vinyl
11/19 – Pensacola, FL – Vinyl Music Hall
11/20 – New Orleans, LA – The Howlin Wolf
11/21 – Nashville, TN – Third and Lindsley

Press ReleaseFans of Dessa’s work know she’s built a reputation as a writer and a thinker as well as an indie musician. (Her new chapbook, A Pound of Steam, was published on Rain Taxi earlier this fall.) Recently Dessa was inspired by Michael Pollan’s best-selling critique The Omnivore’s Dilemma. On her next tour, she’ll be visiting farmers, farmers markets, and coops along the way to learn first-hand about the benefits and the challenges of eating locally and sustainably. Meanwhile, Dessa and the whole band will aim to eat at least one locally sourced meal a day—a significant departure from the standard gas-station fare of most musicians traveling on a budget. The band will also be reducing their environmental footprint along the way: expect a new organic t-shirt at the merch table, a switch to reusable bottles, and a new plan to offset the carbon produced by MOUNTAIN, the tour van with his own twitter account.

Says Dessa, “This year I’ve spent more time on the road than ever before. All of a sudden touring isn’t a break from my real life—it has become my real life. And we’re trying to find ways to be a little more deliberate as we’re driving coast to coast. I want to better align my ideas with the way I spend my time and money on the road. I fully expect this next run to be a challenge—I know we are not swearing off fast-food forever, and I’m going to have to tape my new reusable water to my leg to avoid losing the thing. But I’m excited to find ways to put my money and my actions where my mouth is.”

As part of their challenge to eat locally, the band will use the Eat Well Guide and crowd source ideas from fans and locals. They will document the experience, posting footage along the way and creating a mini documentary after the tour is over to share what they’ve learned on the business, the culture, the benefits and hurdles of supporting sustainable farmers. Local groups will table at shows in order to connect with fans and provide information on how to get involved with their food community on a local and national level.

She adds, “We are clearly not the experts in this field, but really want to look at the issue and be totally transparent about the process. I’m hopeful we can make it work, but am sure we’re going to wind up caving at some point… so nobody judge if you see us cramming in french fries at the drive thru somewhere between Pensacola and New Orleans.”
01:06 PM on 11/05/13
Amongster
Again And Again
User Info.
This is a no-brainer, but if you have the opportunity, go see Dessa.
01:54 PM on 11/05/13
alexxxisonfire
OneRecordPerDay.com
User Info.
She's great.
05:21 PM on 11/05/13
woominlee2
Always a student of life.
User Info.
A true "artist".
01:55 PM on 11/07/13
kbomb001